Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Stories by Paul(AR)........

experiences, but it still doesn't make it better. I know you and your wife were both elated to see each other and worth any amount. Write some more. I am in and out of the forum and just caught this one tonight. :)

In South Texas a lot of ranchers will let you hunt for free if all you take is does. They charge big money--sometimes as much as $1000--for trophy bucks, but none of the trophy hunters take does. As a result there's an overpopulation of does.

In addition, a lot of the does are barren. There's a mechanism in a doe that, if there isn't enough food to produce the milk to raise a fawn, will cause te doe's body to absorb the fetus. If this mechanism triggers more than a couple of times, that doe will never bear another fawn. All she does is eat forage that would otherwise be available to fecund does & trophy bucks.

Since we're having a major dry spell all over South Texas, it's very likely you won't have much trouble finding a barren doe. Since our season starts 1 Nov--bow season starts 1 Oct--by that time the fawns are eating forage rather than dependent on the does. I hunt mostly with muzzle-loaders. Muzzle-loading season starts the day regular rifle season ends & continues for 10 days. We'd like to have it from 21 to 31 Oct so the deer aren't snakebit, but that's the way it's set up. Muzzle-loader season adds a $10 fee to your license, which is ridiculous. However, you can hunt with a muzzle-loader during the regular rifle season without paying the extra fee.

The beauty of hunting with a muzzle-loader lies in the fact that there's no blood-shocked meat like there is with a center-fire. You can actually eat the meat to within half an inch or so of the bullet hole. Some guy with a .223 hopes he'll get .45-caliber expansion out of his bullet. My ball starts out .45 caliber. I use a flintlock eastern long rifle with a left-hand lock, the only one I've ever seen. Since I'm left-eyed but right handed, I shoot all long guns off my left shoulder. This gave me a problem with the M-16 because the ejection port is on the right side. Every time I fired the ejected shell would spank the lobe of my right ear. I never got burned by one, but it was a major distraction. That's why I ditched the M-16 & got hold of an old M-2 grease gun. A couple of .45 hardballs are more effective than half a mag of 5.52 mm.

Besides, the meat of a buck in rut tastes awful! Doe meat is a lot better eating.

is usually just before Modern gun season, this gives Muzzle-loaders a chance to bag one before a zillion people trample through the forest on opening day of Modern gun. Hope you get one this year TexasCharley. By the way, I am originally from Victoria, TX. which is about 100 miles south of Houston.

I'm in Seguin, which is abt 40 miles due east of the north side of San Antonio on I-10. Been down to Victoria several times. Got a friend who's on the history faculty at Victoria College. As a matter of fact, my daughter graduated from VC's LPN program several years ago.

I don't know that I'll get to hunt this year. I had a pal--a game warden--down in S Texas who could get me on any number of ranches to shoot a doe, but he retired & less than a year later he dropped dead of a heart attack while out fishing. I've put in for one of the muzzle-loader hunts at Chaparral WMA south of Cotulla, but getting drawn for one of those is a crapshoot.

A few years ago I got a new set of lower partials. I tried to wear them all the time to get use to them, but my sore gums said other wise. I eventually would take them out after eating and wrap them in a table napkin and place them in my pocket for safe keeping. Well.......one bright sunny morning my wife and I went into our local McDonald's for breakfast and as usual after the meal I took the partials out and wrapped them in a napkin, but this time I placed them on the tray the food comes on. I got to talking to the wife about the days events and what we had planned and I got up and deposited the empty food items into the trash bin and we left and went on our merry way. It was about an hour later, while shopping, I padded my shirt pocked to make sure I still had my partials that I discovered they were not there. I thought back to the last time I had them and to my horror remembered that I left them on the food tray at McDonald's which I emptied into the trash bin. I hurried back to McDonald's and talked with the manager and explained what happened and asked if I could take that bag of trash in that certain trash bin home to sort through it. The manager informed me all the trash bins were emptied a few minutes ago and taken to the main trash bin out behind the building. I was thinking it was lost for sure now, then I got to thinking what the heck, give it one more try, so I asked the manager would it be alright if I looked in the main trash bin for the bag of trash, he said it would be OK with him, just don't make a big mess. I remembered the trash bin that I emptied my food tray in had a bunch of newspapers in it, so off I went back behind the building and opened the wooden gates to the main trash bin and there stood the main trash bin, it was a monster, as tall as I was with 2 lids on top. I saw a 5 gallon plastic bucked in the corner and used that to look inside the bin, there were several dozen bags of trash, I reached in and pulled a dozen out onto the ground in front of the bin. I was feeling pretty embarrassed
about this time, hoping no one was watching me. I tore into the first bag and it was plain trash, no newspapers, so was the next and so on, I was feeling pretty disgusted, about the 8th bag I tore into, I saw newspapers, my hope shot up, I eased the newspapers around and low and behold there sat a napkin that had the familiar shape I so often see, I unwrapped the napkin and there sat my partials. I was so happy I didn't have to go through all the hassle replacing them. I took them home and cleaned and sterilized them. After that experience, I keep the partials in from morning until bed time.

n/t

You were what is known as a "motivated hunter"!

Poor diet, inadequate dental hygiene and ignorance has cost more poor people their teeth than anything else.

My Mom and Dad had full upper and lower plates by the time they were in their early fifties!

I have had upper and lower partials since I was 16.

So far they have been a blessing.

Glad you found yours Friend.

It's a royal pain to replace them!

CJ

False teeth have been a blessing to me, as well. I had 'perfect' teeth--never needed braces or a retainer. Unfortunately, they had the consistency of blackboard chalk. I've had partials since I was in my early 30s. It runs in the family. My mother's teeth were the same way. Strange note: my paternal grandfather & 2 of my mother's brothers were dentists.