Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Stories by George-CT ............

n/t

n/t

How strong are those concrete fence poles? I have never seen concrete fence poles before...down here we usually use Cedar poles. Kelley (Texas) :)

We are starting to see more of them down here in South Texas. Have you ever rode one? Do you ride them the same way as a bike? There are some good looking rides in those pictures. Kelley (Texas) :)

different than what your used to. What I miss the most is no lean in corners so it tends to move you towards the outside. Then tend to be a rougher ride, at least up this way with the pot holes and bumps from frost heaves on the blacktop. Instead of placing 2 wheels in a line, your placing 3 wheels, all on different paths so you hit more bumps/holes. AS for ride, it depends on if its factory build and by who, or custom build. The angle of the forks really make a difference in handling and tracking. some handle great, and some are scary at best. Best thing is to ride the one your interested in if it comes to that. They have a kits for the back, you can add on for around $3,800 bucks that work pretty well. Not hard to put on. But again, the rake on the front forks, makes all the difference in the world for handling. A fellow club member purchased a Victory trike that is put together by Lehman http://www.lehmantrikes.com/ yet the one he has he don't like the way it handles.... Most of the Honda guys seem very happy with them. Harleys, I've heard it both ways depending on what frame its on. One of the kits I see around a lot is this one. http://mtcvoyager.com/ Those seem to work out for many. I see them used on ebay also as some sells the bike but the other person don't want the training wheels.... I would try them on mine if I got to where balance was a consideration or bad leg or hip. If you have a Victory shop near you, they will or at least they do up here, let you ride one. There are a lot of husband and wife couples up there that the wife gained weight, as did the husband, and they move up to them and all seem to be very happy with them. Lots of room for storage, more comfort for the back rider. I would think the further you get from being a playful rider to just enjoying moving along the highway, the more one would enjoy one. My son Andy hates the road riding unless it is racing. I like swaying thru the corners on the back roads here with the floor boards touching from time to time still. That don't happen on a trike.
I guess kinda like a horse, you get into the rhythm of the animal/ride. Same on a 2 wheel bike. This is mostly twisties up this way on back roads. My daughter was used to Charleston, SC and straight flat roads... She is still getting used to the back roads here.

Some the Harley ones look nice also but I have not ridden one of those YET....

George-CT

I am not too sure that I would ever want to own and ride one...a small, compact pickup truck might be a better option. Kelley (Texas) :)

I never saw concrete fence posts, but out in western Kansas they have limestone fence posts. There weren't any trees out there, so they quarried limestone, bored holes through the blocks, & strung barbed wire on 'em.

Incidentally, one of our more noted--or notorious--Texas cattlemen was a native of Rhode Island--Abel Head Pierce, better known as Shanghai Pierce. He ranched on Matagorda Island, up the coast from Corpus Christi. Called his cattle 'sea lions.' The name 'Matagorda' is 'politically incorrect' if you translate it literally. It translates 'kill the fat woman.'

I have never seen either a concrete or limestone fence post...wonder how strong they would be? Also, somewhere on one of the coastal islands, may be Padre Island, the Singer Family of the sewing machine fame hid a treasure that folks claim has never been found. Kelley (Texas) :)

That's on Padre. When Texas seceded in '61 anybody who didn't sympathize with secession was very uncomfortable. The Singers were from up north someplace, but they had a ranch on Padre. Supposedly they buried a chest containing $50,000 in gold coins at their ranch site before they left. When they came back the storms & wind had changed the place so much they couldn't find the ranch site, much less the gold.

There's lots of stuff on Padre, but I personally doubt the Singer story. If you go down below Big Shell to a place called Money Hill you'll often find silver reales--'pieces of eight'--in the sand. There's a Spanish shipwreck off there & the coins wash up from time to time. There are so many shipwrecks off Padre that it's almost impossible to count 'em. The Spanish in particular never learned to dope out the hurricane season. There are at least 9 shipwrecks at the mouth of the San Bernard, up the coast from Padre, that have been found & partly to completely excavated, including what was probably a pirate ship. That's just a drop in the bucket. The whole Texas coast, from Orange to Brownsville, is littered with 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, & 20th century shipwrecks.

I understand most of the limestone fence posts in Kansas date from the late 1800s/early 1900s. They were still standing in '99, when I went to Rapid City SD for a WWA convention. I drove solo--something I'm not ever gonna do again--& followed back roads through Oklahoma, Kansas, & Nebraska. Found Big Spring, Nebraska--it's not even on most maps--where Sam Bass was in on the only big-take train robbery of his career. Also passed through the Pine Ridge area in northwestern Nebraska. Absolutely beautiful--broken hills, lots of timber. Reminded me of parts of east Texas or northern Georgia.

Incidentally, Padre Island is now a 'national seashore.' It's the longest undeveloped line of coast in the US--over 200 miles of beautiful sandy beach. It has National Park status these days, so it's illegal to use a detector on the island. A lot of stuff is going un-found. I've found glass fishing-net floats all over the place, some broken, some not--& even an aluminum one. It was identified as Russian. There were Russian 'trawlers'--actually spy ships--off both the East & West coasts all during the cold war, but I never heard of any in the Gulf. There were, however, German U-boats in the Gulf all during WW II. One of them actually used its deck gun to shell a refinery at Port Arthur, but that didn't come out until after the war. The Coast Guard sank a U-boat off the Louisiana coast but they've found 2 sunken U-boats in the Gulf & nobody knows who sank the other one.