Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Stories by George-CT ............

George-CT

This was our first chance to try it out on a rider. We were pleased with the results. There are 9 parts to this run as it is a 65 mile Turkey Run. These rides are done on combination Woods and Roads bikes, basically woods bikes with lights, signals, battery, and been thru CT inspection to be road ready. I can't say they are at the end but they would be again the next time out. Stuff gets broken off. These are run on town roads, with permission from each town and private land with woods trails or State lands with permission. The riders you see stopped along the trails, most are sweepers that will help you if you need it or just safety crews. We have as much fun setting them up as the ride itself. This one runs thru Connecticut and Rhode Island as its on both borders. The orange arrows you see we put up the day before a ride and take them down at the end of the day. Thats the sweepers job, to get the signs, and close gates of land owners etc and make sure all riders are off the trails at end of day and accounted for.

They will give you a chance to see some of the homes and rock walls around this area of CT and RI. I have not looked at all of them yet for they have easy sections, Hero Sections, swamps, brooks, rivers, logs, you name it. Makes for a fun day. The event cost $35.00 to enter, Starts at 9:30 am and ends at dusk or as soon as you complete and go thru all the check points along the way. Back at the club house at the end of the day we have a chicken dinner, award donated items from all the bike shops and trophys and then if the like they can ride the motocross track which most do. We have about 8 of these courses around the state. All different. This is and easy one and quite often we have husband and wife ride together either on the same bike, hard ride, or as a team.

I'll post the first 3 of them if you want the rest, let me know. They are about 10 minutes long each. Again, I'm impressed with the clarity of how they came out with helmet cam. These were done this weekend....These are really easy rides, great way to start.
Everyone one along it is alerted that the event is on that day and if local police in the town they are aware its going on also.
Our Hare Scramble events are done closed course, 3 to 6 mile loops run 3 to 5 times and are run a much faster speeds and the trails get really tore up, so they only run it once a year on them to give them time to heal. Often we wil spend a week afterwards with quads dragging them and plowing berms.... Usually the land they are on, is owned by other riders or what used to be riders who allow us on their land.

George-CT

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEk_ubCvJFM[/video] #1

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_yAvbm-aHE[/video] #2

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3mx7janWC4[/video] #3

very very clear and gives a sense of being there. Thanks for that and more is good:biggrin:

never forget the fun of that hobby. I was sitting here also enjoying the ride thru the woods. That helmet cam covers a lot of area with out a lot of distortion. I was surprised with all the bouncing and speed they carry how calm the picture was. These little web cams etc keep getting better and better, and smaller.

I'll attach some more on here. We have been out a lot on our main one at the club with the quads clearing off blow downs from winter and what the ice brought down. That's 78 miles and also takes in CT and RI, mostly CT. We ended up getting a Federal Grant to do that one 8 years ago, so we built river crossing bridges on class A trout brooks, , can't put a bike or any vechile in those brooks, parking areas, Caution signs if we cross horse trails or mt bike trails etc.... The state set aside appropriations for 4 riding areas in the state, but so far only we have gotten ours done. Takes a lot of effort to get it working and a lot of butt kissing at times to get right aways and paper work to them showing that we cannot sue them if anyone gets hurt. That's kind of set up state wide now as most of CT land is private. In order to get hunters in areas, fisherman, horse back trails, the state set it up so that as long as you don't charge anyone anything, you can allow them on your land and they cannot sue you for anything unless you could prove and intentional booby trap.

OK here are a few more. A continuation of the same ride. Geo-CT

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4MoxQeotPk[/video] #4

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65YfpAM1HlU[/video] #5

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1vL2WXw5XI[/video] #6

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHvaAyY0ABk[/video] #7

by volunteers! Willing horse syndrome? Been there LOL
I was surprised to see them using public roads, are they licensed and insured?
Thank you huge George!

for some reason my computer is handling video very jerky like.

What kind of camera is it and what do they cost?

legal, but the Dual Sports are. It they run they throught the CT DMV and the give them plates, then they are good to go. They have to obey the speed limits like anyone else and stop signs. ON events they usually have a person at the intersections to wave them on thru or hold the cars up a second. We do that on our road rides also. That way it don't trap them our us. They have to show insurance at the start of the race, and pass a sound test and have approved helmet and motorcycle license. ONce we see all that, they are ready to leave. Some do a mail in regestration to Vermont. They don't do a motorcycle inspection for dirt bikes. Maine is like that also. With a title and plates and insurance they can ride here. We are more strict and they do go over them. All our hare scrambles are closed course, nothing on a road, so other than sound test, they can ride what ever they want. 96 decibels is the limit here at 10 feet and they want to drop it to 92.

Headed up the club in a few minutes to take pictures of tonights race and bring my detector with the WOT coil to walk down and electric line in a area we are making for parking. We were dozing it and found out the guy put it in for 300 feet more or least at from 6 inches to one foot.
We hit it once with the dozer blade and don't want to again... Pretty sure we are going to force the guy to put it 3 feet and in plastic piping at least I think thats the law and the plan....

Geo

about 3 miles from me as the crow flies. I might of posted a few pictures on here before from there. Its a flood control Dam built by the Army corp of Engineers to control 3 rivers that come together here, put pass through a lot of towns below us. These shots are from the main dam towards my home and down stream also. Good trout fishing in the river below. What looks like a lake is a river that is held captive behind the dam. The stone building is and old mill that has been refurbished and is now a small solar cell company. Talk about evolution. The pictures are not great as I took them with a spare camera I keep in my saddle bags.

Picture #1 with the red line in the middle at top is pointing to my house. That river you see will in hard rains come up onto the stone protected banks you see in the picture. The orange line just catchs trees etc that wash down and they try to get them before they hit the face of the dam and then sink. You can also see where the dam wraps back around towards our home...

#2 is the down side of the dam. Decent trout in this river.

#3 is a snagged tree on the catch line.....

#4 is the park rangers house that he gets to live in while head ranger.

#5First drop off after the dam and head waters of the river.

#6 Always time for quick shot of the bike. That same is 60 feet high. the water did get to 58 feet once since I've lived here but never topped it, YET

Just had to take advantage of your photo essay and writing skills:biggrin:
You just know how some of us dote on rivers and streams, and fishing. I can taste the Speckles in that river!
Rocks or not you live in a gorgeous place my friend!

n/t

place the ranger gets to live in but little privacy for sure. I am glad I finally got to this one. Hard time catching up some times :( My bad

I was out THing today at my favorite spot, hoping to find someone's lost valuables. Instead I lost my valuable hearing aid. Oh, the irony of it!

- Whiskers

This is a one hour ride up a place out in the woods in Rhode Island. Really a nice ride and we do it pretty much every Tuesday weather permitting. They have great Mushroom burgers and ice cream. They usually have around 250 bikes show up, often double that. From there there are 3 great rides you can take the same night to car shows, one at A&W Root Beer Stand in Greenville RI.
A lot of this ride is around a big lake. Really nice area for a ride. I grabbed a few shots of my buddy Andre and his new ride as we crossed on of the lakes there. My favorite section of the ride. I believe this is the water supply for Providence, RI and surrounding towns in RI. It makes a nice evening 100 mile loop. My ride is the red one. I have 22,000 miles on it and trouble free so far.

Just wanted to show you some on the back roads in RI, and also, RI uses concrete in this area for fence poles. I took a close up of one and also a longer show with the bikes. These things are pretty much forever. They run all over in this area and have been there as long as I can remember. Still look like new.

I'll put the bikes in the next post below this that were at Susie Q's.

Slow day here today so have time to post some pictures...

George-CT

Mostly and older crowd here. Lot of husband and wife riders with many of the women on their own rides. Just about every type of bike here at one time or another. Mostly just older folks hanging on to whats left of their youth. They now have the money to do this stuff, so they have some pretty nice bikes. Some of the mid range guys built up some custom stuff as you can see in the red one. Blower, the whole works. Fun to see what some of these old drag racers come up with. Most these bikes show up here around 6:00pm and are home in the barn by 9:00pm. They do a lot of benefit rides out of here for all kinds of reasons. Usually cancer, or for kids with problems or just someone down on their luck and need a little help. Most pay $25.00 to ride the event and usually afterwards there is some kind of BBQ, Chicken or pig roast. Good clean fun for all.

George-CT