Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Steve's Detector Rods: My Review

My update
Had a chance to go out with a friend
He has a stock 800 , so now is the funny part, I’m only 5’4”
He is pushing 375+ or more is a very big guy and he is guessing 5’8 . And he detects much closer in front of his feet with a much shorter pattern and I literary look up to him.
With the counter balance my detector length is about 6”+ taller than his. I have a much larger detecting swing and it is so comfortable at that length because of the counter balance.
He was even joking with me on how long my detector is, 56-3/4” long. , so I’m not detecting at my feet . My swing pattern is I’m guess 6-7 feet wide and it is a smooth swing with no uplift at the end of my swing. I didn’t realize the counter weight would make that much difference. I’m only running one bag.

The counter balance made it more comfortable and allowed me to extend the length of the shaft and still keep a good balance and it actually allowed me to cover more area with an even sweep and not being so vertical with the unit.
Before I got my shaft and counter weight I was skeptical but now seeing how much it helps me I really like it.
I have found the sweet spot and I will mark the lower shaft on the bottom side with a divot and put a dab of white paint in it so I can get back to that point again if I ever change lengths.
Dose the shaft and counter weight help , absolutely.
On a beach I can now cover a lot more area and I have been using it at a local football field and still use it without changing around the bleachers.
Hope I didn’t misspell too many words, lol
Doug.

Doug,

SO glad that you found the counterweight beneficial, in terms of allowing you to extend your shaft length to where it is comfortable to you, while maintaining "balance" with the machine. That's precisely the goal, and I am so happy to hear that it's working for you!

Thank you!

Steve

I bought Steves rods and the counterweight. Best purchase I have made. The rods are first class and his customer service is second to none.

Update .
I just did a 3 hour water hunt with Steve’s carbon shaft and the 11” coil, I removed the counterweight while in the water and it was much easier to keep the coil on the bottom (it unscrews easily) Then I reinstalled the counter weight and did another four hours on the beach. I could have never done that much time hunting without the counterweight. It really helps the balance and allows me to have a longer shaft and a wider swing path.
Doug

Yea the counter weight works so good but in the water too good and the waves were moving it around and up and down so in the water the balance needed to be more on the coil end , but on land a whole lot different with the counter weight.
Thanks Steve.

Doug

Doug --

Makes sense! It is logical that the "buoyancy," relatively speaking, of the coil in the water, would act to remove a lot of the "nose heaviness," of the unit, and so I can see where counterweighting would not be needed with the coil submerged; at least, not nearly as much...

Steve

I received Steve's shaft today and I am impressed with the quality and how the counterweight improves the swing. I purchased the 4.5" counterweight with two weight bags...with both bags installed and the 11" coil, it really made a difference. I'm fairly tall and extending the shaft out a little longer than usual with the counterweights really takes a load off. Unfortunately I've only swung it in the house as I need to get a permission finalized so I can try it out in the field. I highly recommend it so far, and will report back after an extended field trial!

Mark,

THANKS for the initial feedback! I am really glad you are pleased thus far, and noticing the difference with the counterweighting, in some "indoor" testing. I look forward to hearing what you think, once you've had a hunt with it...

(And good luck on that permission)!

Steve