Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

staying out of trouble

sccpdc

OK TO ALL OF YOU GURU'S OUT THERE WHAT ADVICE CAN YOU GIVE ON STAYING OUT OF TROUBLE WITH THE LAW FOR TRESS PASSING.

You mean preventitive maintenance (as in, how to keep a low profile and not be seen to begin with), or do you mean past-tense, as in back-peddling upon being booted from somewhere? Be a little specific please. Also, what type of sites?

Don't trespass.

If you're in a public place like a park, make sure the local government allows it. If they allow it, make sure you don't need a permit or get one if you do. Some parks can belong to a town and not the city/county they're in, so watch out for that.

If you're in a public place like a school, it's always a good idea to go inside and ask for permission. Be extra careful if it's a private school.

ALWAYS get permission for private land. If you're not sure if it's public or private, DO NOT DIG until you find out.

If you're in an old area that might have historic items, make sure it's not on the national registry of historic places (this includes some parks).

No matter where you are, it is best to check in with whoever has control of the land, public or no. Even if you know you're allowed to be there, it's easier to check in at the school or park office than to have to explain what you're doing to the police. You might have to make some phone calls or even send some mail and wait for a response, but the items you're looking for have been in the ground for decades and they're not going anywhere soon.

I AGREE WITH EVERY THING YOU SAID, GUESS i NEED TO DO SOME RESERCH ( OK MABE A LOT )

BE A VERY FAST RUNNER. No just don,t be where your not supposed to be. Make it fun not worried about looking over your shoulder.

For public places, you do not need "permission", if it's not specifically disallowed. So if you must inquire about laws, don't approach it from a "may I metal detect" standpoint. Rather, approach it from a "is there any law or rule that prohibits it" perspective. That way, you're not just getting someone saying "no", simply because they envision geeks with shovels (but would probably have never cared or noticed you, even if they'd passed you by). Better yet, look it up yourself, to see if there's any prohibitions. Personally, when I travel around, I just hit any park or school, as long as it's not posted, or an obvious historical landmark.

As for private property, yes you'll need permission there :ninja::ninja::ninja:

Tom_in_CA said:
...don't approach it from a "may I metal detect" standpoint. Rather, approach it from a "is there any law or rule that prohibits it" perspective.

This is a great approach. Phrasing is everything.

Ask in person whenever possible. It's easy to say no on the phone or through the mail. (Just ask any telemarketer.)

Here's a few ideas. Only take minimal digging tools. A guy (that includes girls) digging with an ICEPICK doesn't get the looks that someone gets carrying a shovel or a full size grubbing hoe. Dress really neat! Look like you belong there. Don't dress like a pig! Greet people, but don't go out of your way. Like I've said before, carry a over the shoulder bag la bled "TRASH", and when folks ask, especially park or school or tot lot caretakers, tell 'em you pick up all broken glass, sharp metal objects and other dangerous looking things so little kids don't hurt. After they get the tears outta their eyes, they may not give you any trouble at all. And don't get too ballzy. I used to go detecting with this little short guy that would actually ask people to move so he could detect under them :surprised: Are you reading this Bob? And lastly important, make sure you are really hidden when you "gotta go". Nothing ticks off a parent like a kid running up and yelling " Mommy, there's a man over there, going to the bathroom." :surprised: So, dude welcome to Metal Detecting. I hope these few golden rules will help get you started. Good Luck, C.U out in the sandbox!

n/t

Unauthorized entry on someones property will risk confiscation of equipment, fines and jail time.Under no circumstances try to break this law.Ask for permission if posted.When buildings are involved its no longer trespassing but B&E.Sorry to be so blunt but to break this law will cause a stiff penalty. Ron

Tom_in_CA said:
For public places, you do not need "permission", if it's not specifically disallowed. So if you must inquire about laws, don't approach it from a "may I metal detect" standpoint. Rather, approach it from a "is there any law or rule that prohibits it" perspective. That way, you're not just getting someone saying "no", simply because they envision geeks with shovels (but would probably have never cared or noticed you, even if they'd passed you by). Better yet, look it up yourself, to see if there's any prohibitions. Personally, when I travel around, I just hit any park or school, as long as it's not posted, or an obvious historical landmark.

As for private property, yes you'll need permission there :ninja::ninja::ninja:

We've discussed this before, and I agree With CA Tom on public property, disagree on private property.

Asking for permission at a public site when permission isn't needed often leads to no's when otherwise nobody would care.

Of course if the publicly owned site is posted no trespassing or otherwise prohibiting detecting that's another story.

As far as schools go, common sense should tell you to never ever detect there when school is in session. Believe it or not there are morons who have done that! And a private school is private property so legally you absolutely need permission to detect there.

Where Tom and I don't agree is concerning private property.

He says you need permission on private property but then follows it up with the ninjas - in other words, don't do it wink wink.

Anybody who does stealth detecting in areas where they shouldn't be is stupidly taking a personal risk, and potentially damaging our hobby.

All private property, occupied or vacant, belongs to somebody. Legally and ethically you need permission!

Here's the best way to keep out of trouble. Take a cute girl with you to questionable sites, One with big cutie-pie eyes, you know the type, one that'll make you sweat just making eye contact with her.. :wave: She'll change the "get the hell outta here" to "Well.....ahhhh, I...I guess maybe, just be careful" , in a heartbeat. I guarantee it :super:

silversmith said:
Here's the best way to keep out of trouble. Take a cute girl with you to questionable sites, One with big cutie-pie eyes, you know the type, one that'll make you sweat just making eye contact with her.. :wave: She'll change the "get the hell outta here" to "Well.....ahhhh, I...I guess maybe, just be careful" , in a heartbeat. I guarantee it :super:

Would you happen to have an extra I could borrow for a hunt or two? :rofl:

The easiest way to get in trouble is to not ask permission. So go ahead and ask..... I always phrase it carefully saying my hobby is metal detecting and this property may be a good location to check. Mind if I check it out and recover anything I find? I'll be happy to show you anything significant. Also have you ever lost anything that I might look for for you? Tell me about your property did people ever picnic here or set up an area for picnics? How long have you owned the property? Has anyone ever operated an inn or tavern here? I'll try and check back with you before I leave. etc etc

Carefully worded. If you get a no, say thank you anyways, I'm sorry to have bothered you. I'll leave right away. May I ask your suggestions as to where else I might try? Sometime that gives the person pause and they relent or sometimes a genuinely good suggestion like my Sisters house over there or something of that nature...

Permission is vital. People really hate to say no but if you word your question and ingquiry you won't hear it that often....

People are proud of there properties especially historical ones. You might end up leaving a find but remember bring a camera and photograph it. Share your name and phone number as they may have freinds who might want there property explored and recovered artifacts lead to good bragging rights for owners.

A few good rules :

1) Don't be a creep
2) Always ask for permission
3) Share your finds with the landowner
4) Leave the place looking exactly like it was when you found it