Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Special Thanks To Critterhunter

Iyelllfour

Hello all!
I'm a newbie to this site! I have been detecting for a couple years now here in Sacramento. I have been detecting with an IDX Pro which I love, but just acquired a Quantum xt. Took it out a few times and found a bunch of clad. Decided to look up Quantum tips and came across Critterhunters article on how to properly set the machine up. A Very helpful article I must add, and much more helpful than the manual that came with the machine. Went out again this morning at a local soccer field and did very well, my best single day yet. 4 rings, 2 necklace charms and a gold earring. Not sure if the diamond in the one ring is real or not, praying it is but I doubt it. Anyway, Thanks again critterhunter. I love the Quantum!!
Iyellfore

Really nice finds.Great soccer field i would like to hunt there.Hope you will post some more pics of your next finds . Hat s off to Critterhunter must have been a go article.

Lots of nice finds ! Congrats !!!

That is more jewelry than i find in a year!!!!!!!!!!! Good job!!

Wow. Some nice stuff there.
IDX Pro was my first detector about six years back.
Wish I still had it. Now I hunt with an MXT and an Ace 250.
Hope you have a good year.
Katz

Take time to smell the flowers.

Wow, nice finds! Glad you enjoyed that little field guide. You might want to look in this forum for a thread a month or two back where I posted more tips for the QXT that weren't covered in that the guide. Mainly I cover how to tell various coins from each other but also include a few other tips that were not in it. Originaly I had planned to do a book for the machine since nobody seems to know much about it but decided not to. I do have most of that wrote and may just complete it and throw it up for free in the near future. Please, no emails about it. If and when I finish the thing I'll post a notice. Again, glad you enjoyed it.

Those who know how to set up and run the QXT properly will find it does things no other machine can. It's also a very deep coin shooter provided you set it up the right way and swing fast/short over deeper targets once you find them. Deep coins might at first only sound off as a ground or iron signal, so I prefer to keep those zones accepted as well. This way if you hit a deep/soft low tone you can try the fast/short sweep to try to pull a better ID out of it. Doing this will get you deeper than the vast majority of machines on the market using the same size coil. It's low frequency combined with a few unique features hits hard on deep silver and copper coins.

Gold ring hunting is a little more tricky due to the lack of VDI numbers to avoid trash but it is possible to split hairs on trash when looking for rings. I've found that most gold rings will bounce evenly between the foil and nickle zone on the VDI display as you sweep over them. Very large gold man's rings may make it up into the roundtab zone, but most I've tested were jumping from foil to nickle. Always dig these if they are round, smooth, warm, soft sounding, ring sized targets. Foil and other trash will tend to be scratchy, break up, sound harsh or tinny, or bounce around to other zones more. The QXT's audio only has 3 types- high, low, & all metal when in mixed mode, but I prefer not to use mixed mode (disc. goes just as deep as all metal on a QXT). I just assign high/low tones to the targets I'm looking for. It's deadly in trash using no discrimination and just listening for a high mixed in. It has such a quick recovery speed even with the 9.5" coil that I find it seperates better than other machines using 5 or 6" coil.

The M6 looks like a winner to me for coin/ring hunting. It has four things I wanted on a QXT- VDI numbers, variable discrimination, more tones, and larger coils to max out depth. The three things I don't like about it are it's higher frequency (better on gold but not my top choice for silver/copper coins), it's lack of a notch, and no noise reduction OFF function which helps the QXT to punch even deeper. In some situations I find I'd rather notch out a certain zone of targets than try to ignore hearing them. That's one powerful feature on the QXT- 8 notch zones. The selection of large coils for the M6 to max out coin depths should make up for any lost depth on coins caused by the higher frequency, but I still want to compare it. I'll be picking up an M6 soon to do further comparisons with, depth being one of them. Even if it isn't getting QXT depth on coins with a larger coil (think it will though) it'll still make a very good ring machine in the trash with it's VDI numbers.

All the rings I found were a solid read either on the small ring display or the large ring display. I was impressed with the ID but also found that the depth read was quite a bit off, even after pinpointing and pressing the coil firmly to the ground. It was off by as much as a few inches at times. I'm sure that are many factors (probably mostly operator error) that are contributing to this. I am used to detecting without a depth meter so this really doesn't bother me much.
I did come across a lot of ground reads that I didn't dig up, now I'm wondering if they could have been coins. I will definitely try the fast sweeps over the target next time I run across this to see if I can pull up a different ID out of it! There is still alot I need to learn about the QXT but with practice I have no doubt that I will learn what its potiential is and what it is telling me. Your article back in '99 gave me the jumpstart I needed to get me past the 'overwhelming' feeling I would have felt without reading it. Again, thanks for that. I was so ecstatic when I got home with my finds that morning, I felt I needed to thank you!
I am anxious to get back out to that soccer field considering I have only covered about a 1/10th of it so far and know its a goldmine out there. I will be sure to post pics of future finds as they happen. I did find a mens gold bracelet a couple of weeks ago at the same field with my idx. It weighs 26.5g. I'm thinking it must have fallen out of someones pocket as it was still clasped together, who knows!

You are really giving me the itch to get out and ring hunt. It's been too cold around here lately with frozen ground. Once again I'm glad I could help. It's a great machine if people take the time to understand how to use it and what it's trying to tell you on targets.

Hello to everyone. I'm a new member. I've only been detecting for a couple months. I just bought a used QXT from OhioCoinhunter and he informed me that the unit was originally Critterhunters. I had just gotten done reading his tips/tricks article on the QXT (which sold me on this model) just prior to buying it and didn't even know of the connection until after the fact. OhioCoinhunter told me about this forum so I joined and the first post I see is "special thanks to Critterhunter" and those incredible gold finds. Looks like I'm heading in the right direction. I look forward to reading/sharing info & finds w/ other members in this forum. I've spent more than a few years on this planet and I think I've finally found "my people". If there's anyone in/near Santa Cruz, Ca ( San Francisco Bay Area) or planning to come hunt here, drop me a line. It never snows here !Thanks and Good Luck !
srf2112

So you're the guy he's selling my old QXT Pro to. :biggrin: It's a little worn but in perfect working order. Had to make room for an M6 in my line up to try for a while.

Hi to Critterhunter and you too Jim. First off to CH as long as it helps me find the goods (once I've learned it) I don't need pretty and I don't need easy. I will probably be mining your extensive experience w/this machine as I learn it. From what I've already read, you're the man to ask. Jim, thanks again for your service and also your help in leading me to this site. I can already see that it is going to produce a lot of treasure for me...literally and otherwise. Hope all of you get a break from the weather soon so you can get out there and hunt ! As I said before, if you're ever planning to come out and hunt in my area, drop me a line. Jim , I believe you have my e-mail from our transaction. If not, contact me and I'll get it to you. Hunt On !
Scott

Put some coins on the ground and sweep over them about 3 or 4" away to judge response. Sweep as far away as you can and still get a high tone and ID. You'll notice you need a fast short sweep to draw the proper ID out when at the fringes of depth. A great place to start detecting is yards of friends and family. Anybody with a house built before 1965 should have some silver coins laying around that will be easy to find. Worked out old parks will still produce coins but it will take experience to find those, often digging "iffy" signals.

By the way, that pinpointer has some rubber cement on the tip to keep it waterproof.

Thanks again for the info CH. I don't have a printer so I'm writing down all of your tips and advice to bring w/me into the field. Getting writers cramp but I don't care. Still awaiting delivery on the QXT but I have plenty to keep me busy w/the MXT. I think I speak for all of us that are new to detecting when I say that I really appreciate you taking the time to share your hard-earned info w/us. HH - Scott

It's what I enjoy. If you have any questions down the road be sure to ask. PM me if you don't want to ask in public, but most would probably want to have access to any information they can find.

Hello again,
Went out again today to my 'Ring Garden', thought I'd give it another shot to see if I passed anything up the last three times I was there. Sure enough, pulled out some more, thought I'd share my finds for today. The gold bracelet is 14k and weighs in at 23.3g.
HH, Jay In Ca

I gather the QXT was/is an older model made by Whites?
How far back does it's history go? It sounds like a dang good detector
from what I have read. How is it different from the XLT? I gather the XLT is
the new version of QXT?
Kats

Wow! Good finds. Now you are starting to make me think I'm getting my leg pulled by somebody here. Most people don't have that kind of luck. If the jokes on me then you got me Fern (or anybody else I hunt with). :biggrin:

The QXT came out after the XLT so in a sense it's newer technology. They stopped making them a few years back because they never did sell well. Most people opted for White's flagship detector if they thought they wanted the best, but I found the QXT had more depth, more solid target ID, and was much faster in the trash (no top heavy software lag).

Main complaints with the QXT was a lack of a VDI # like the MXT/M6, variable discrimination and notch, or having even larger coils available to push depths even further than the already excellent depth it gets with the stock 9.5" coil.

It does have 8 zones you can accept, edit out, or assign three sounds to...all metal/low/high tones. That combined with it's super fast recovery speed makes it a very potent machine in trash looking for masked coins. It's depth on silver and copper coins is the deepest I've seen on the older lower frequency Whites (XLT, QXT, 6000 Pro Xl, etc). The flowing "sizing" display makes it simple to judge target size as you sweep over it without having to outline it in pinpoint. This is different from the bar system the XLT uses or the fixed target slots a GTI uses. I found the QXT's flowing display bars much more informative. Usualy 2 bars up is a coin sized target with an average sweep speed. The machine will allow you to sweep from super slow to super fast, but once you hear a really deep one a fast short sweep will pull a good target ID and audio deeper than most machines.

The new M6/MXT use a higher frequency that isn't as prefered for depth on silver/copper but is very good for gold. And, with the large selection of larger coils for the M6/MXT you can probably push them to some amazing depths on coins. No larger coils exist for the lower frequency Whites except the Hot Shot, and I don't hear much good about those. I tried two new ones and neither would work with my QXT.