Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sovereign Amplifier (its a long one...)

Shaunfth

I have been reading this forum for a while now and I feel this is the right place to present a project I have been working on for some time. First of all I am an electronics engineer and I design medical electronics for a living. Because of this I am always interested in trying to make what ever new gizmo I get better. Well I got a Sovereign GT about 8 months ago and not long after I got the hang of it I wanted it to go deeper. I got a 15in WOT but that was not enough. I started searching the internet for some sort of amplifier that would amplify the signal going to the coil but did not find anything. With out getting to technical, if you want a stronger magnetic field emanating from the coil you have to increase the current going through it. The size and strength of the magnetic field of a coil depends on many things, geometry, inductance, resistance, etc, but is also directly proportional to the current in the windings. Knowing this, I started to build my own amplifier. I disassembled my new Sovereign and started to figure out how it worked. I found some partial schematics on the web which helped. After a few failed attempts I came up with a design that will put approximately 5 times more power into the coil than the factory amplifier puts in. After going through a few different battery configurations and power supply designs, I have something that I think really does give the Sovereign more depth. While out testing the amplifier I ran into a few fellow detectorists who seemed to be very interested in my equipment. One guy wanted to know if he could get one for his Explorer 2

Not only been done its been done at least three times.
The Pre Amp gain I've been using for a couple of years draws current from the detectors internal battery pack. An external knob controls OFF, and the degree of gain when used. Some sites can't handle extra gain just as with the old Treasure Barons with the Deep Hunter module. It had to be used on reduced power at some sites or not at all.

A year or two back a Bulgarian company produced an external booster which had the advantage of the detectors warranty not being invalidated.

There is also a similar device sold in France. They all run around the

Super Power Penetrator
http://www.deeptech-bg.com/accessories.html

Sovereign Booster
http://www.pringault-detecteurs.com/

Brian,
As far as I know, all the signal boosters on the market boost the received signal, as opposed to Shaun's which seems to boost the transmit signal.

Shaun,
How much extra power does the booster draw from the battery?

The one I've been using boosts the power to the coil, like the Discovery Deep Hunter module, but without the benefit of the passive circuit they have in their coils, then, I think acts as a pre amp on the returned signal. One of the T2/F75 boosters ( internal so again the warranty goes out the window) is supposed to act on the transmitted signal.
My experience is that directly you start sticking higher voltages through the coil you make depth gains but not as dramatic as would be expected and have to be prepared to use little or no boost if ground mineralisation is present to any great degree. Otherwise we would all be using the Nautilus DMC IIB.

It will be interesting to see how it develops. There should be a very good market for any add on that produces an extra inch or two at a reasonable price.

Hi Shaunfth

First off, well done for all your hard work and success.

Do you think your booster differs much from the ones in the link??

Has yours any pros or cons over theres.

Also apart from beach hunting, do you really think the GT needs the extra power.

I find it hard to detect with the sensitivity any more than 1 o clock on my sov with out it nulling to often.

I detect on farm land in the UK England

My amplifier does not draw power from the detector battery. It only uses the PWM signal from the detector as the input to PWM amplifier. I use and external Li-ion battery to drive the circuitry which boost the transmit signal and provides more power to the coil .(pic attached). The Li-ion battery will last well over 8 hours. Also, like the two devices that Brain pointed out, I also have a variable gain amplifier to boost or decrease the return signal from the coil. Thats the function of the knob shown in the pictures. When the amp is swithch off the return signal gain can be increased if the ground conditions will allow it. When the amp is on the return signal can be decreased if necessary to provide stable operation. The Auto sensitivity mode and All metal modes seem to work fine with the gain set to around 1.

Piero,
To answer your questions;
"Do you think your booster differs much from the ones in the link??"
The "Super Power Penetrator" did not seem to have any documentation describing what it does. It does not seem to have any external power pack, so Im assuming that it amplifies the return signal from the coil with a variable gain controlled by the single knob on the unit. If Im wrong on this please let me know. My unit has this type of functionality. It can increase or decrease the amplitude of the return signal from the coil. This circuitry does not require the external battery, it derives its power from the output of the detector.

The "Sovereign Booster" information is all in French, but from the single knob it would seem to be a return signal booster. If this is wrong please let me know.

"Has yours any pros or cons over theres".
As I have described in previous posts, my unit amplifies the signal to the coil using and external battery as a power source. This creates a stronger magnet field allowing the detector to penetrate farter into the ground. As far as I can tell the units in the two links provided by Brian don

Thanks for your reply.

I don't want this thred to be come any thing different than what you set it out to become,

But I cant help but say, How do you adjust the threshold on a sov GT??

Also for your info and help, do a search on goggle for Goggle translate, then go to the french web site and "cut and paist" all that you want to read on to goggle translate, hey presto, in English

Hi Shaun, nice to meet you and sounds like your having some fun with the GT. Do you know what device is being used in the frontend amplifier for the signal from the coil? Thanks Shaun.

John Tomlinson,CET
John's Detectors

Piero,
The GT, and as far a I know, all other Sovereign models have a Threshold knob to adjust the threshold level.

Shaun....

Shaun,

Have you tested your amp using more than one type of coil?

Thanks,

joe

I for one would be interested in your new device. I hunt the beach only and this would increase my finds especially with conditions as they are here with sand build up. I live at Cocoa Fl and I know quite a few here use a Sovereign. Look forward to hearing more in the near future.
HH Tom

Joe,
I have tested the amp on my stock sovereign GT 10" tornado coil and my 15" WOT. It works fine with both. The air testing I have done shows that each coil gets 3 to 4 more inches than without the amp. I mainly beach hunt so I don

Sounds good to me. Just let me know when you have some ready and how you want to be paid. tsawyer25@earthlink.net

HH Tom

When done I would be interested in purchasing one to try for the Sovereigns.

Rick

[quote Shaunfth]Joe,
I have tested the amp on my stock sovereign GT 10" tornado coil and my 15" WOT. It works fine with both. The air testing I have done shows that each coil gets 3 to 4 more inches than without the amp. I mainly beach hunt so I don