Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SO HOW DO YOU GUYS HANDLE IT? ANY ADVICE??

[size=large]Greetings again everyone. I have to ask you something you guys and need some advice on how to handle the disappointment and frustration I am feeling.

Have you ever been beach hunting, and found absolutely nothing at all (jewelry-wise)? How did you feel and how did you handle it when it's happened (if at all)? The reason I ask is that Sunday night, I went to South Beach Miami, (the supposed mecca for gold and jewelry), and detected from 8pm to 8am!!! That's right....12 freaking hours of detecting the wet and dry sand with the Excal II (and the battery held up)! My settings were Sensitivity on Auto, Discrim on 2, and the Threshold below mid-point (about the 10:00 o'clock setting). At daylight, when I finally reluctantly went into the rough water (biceps, forearms, traps and spirit all busted up) and searched around in the trough area..I couldn't stay on my feet in the surf, I couldn't pinpoint, it was extremely hard to find the target with the scoop (Beach Brute), and what I did bring up was nothing but pulltabs and bottle caps!! Not to mention, I lost my cell phone! It was a disastrous and VERY disappointing hunt.

How do you guys handle such a situation? What am I doing wrong? How is it possible for a beach that I meticulously "grid" for 12 hours bring up nothing but clad and absolutely no jewelry?? The only thing I can think of is that it may have rained on Sunday, and the crowds weren't there...and the night before the other hunters were already active. I don't get it! I am so incredibly frustrated and super disappointed!!!

When/if you guys enter the water..is it usually rough pounding surf? Do you wait until the water is really calm? Do you go out into the deep? Should I just put on my dive gear and head out into deeper area?? What am I doing wrong guys? This is the second time I do a very long hunting session in the same beach on a Sunday night/Monday morning, and have found nothing but clad. Its supposed to be the best beach for people losing stuff. Would you keep returning? Should I change beaches? Should I just hunt for a few hours then go home? What would you change if anything? Help!

I know I ask a lot of questions and really appreciate your collective guidance and counsel, but I'm seriously depressed and frustrated here and need some good sound advice. I was a beaten man the other morning, with nothing to show for a long hunt but a lost cell phone and a broken spirit!

Thanks again in advance,

Tony
AKA TenedorDelDiablo[/size]

when u replace your cell phone..................L E A V E IT AT HOME OR IN YOUR MOBILE - U see now u are learning

scoop is fine

loose the auto...................try noon on the clock face or 11 if not tooooo noisy

discrimination......................Z E R O

threshold..................many many opinions on this................if i am in the waves and crashing and it is windy - I LIKE MINE KINDA LOUD

some do not like to use it at all, but for me...................it really puts out a lot of G O O D INFO.

KEEP SWINGING - u need the practice

get knocked down 3 and 4 times a day - headphones ripped off - 5 or 6 times a day - JUST PART OF THE HUNT IN THE WAVES

granted..................if it is toooo ruff, no one can hunt it, stay in the damp zone

bottle caps.................they all love them in the water - u will find many - many cell phones, cameras, knives, sinkers and watches

my two cents

now get back out there and find some gold - it is there

Here in NY it is a very typical day of hunting. $.70 clad per hour is a solid normal result.

Listen, everyday thousands of newbies buy more and more metal detectors. Every little inch is hunted through several times a day. All really productive sites are off limit since long time ago, archeologists keep them for themselves, they need to eat too and they got power.

So, relax and have fun of being in fresh air and in good health. Like I do.

Thank you, God, for the gift of life and health!!

Looting the surf is probably the most challenging part of the sport of metal detecting. It's fun, it's physical and it makes you think. Hunting targets in the ground is relatively straight forward compared to hunting in the surf because everything is moving in the surf. The targets move, the waves and currents are moving and the sand is shifting. It just takes more time to develop the techniques necessary to hunt in the water. The dry sand is pretty straightforward and more like dirt fishing but the best finds are usually made in the water.
You have to read the old posts and then think about how they apply to you, this forum is a huge resource just waiting for you to learn from other surf pirates' experience. You have to practice your technique, learning how to pinpoint in murky water with waves crashing around you. You have to learn your machine so that it talks to you, time to learn your Excal. You need to learn how to read the beach, the waves and the bottom conditions.
It's a lot to learn and if you are patient you will have a blast learning all of this by hunting and putting this information into practice to see how it works for you, with your machine on your beach.
There is no magic answer to finding the loot, different techniques work in different areas, for different pirates, swinging different detectors.
There is a ton of information on how to set up your Excal in the old posts, there's also a lot of information on surf hunting techniques.
It's up to you to do the research and then experiment with that information to see what works for you.
Try reading everything on the goldenolde.com website, it's a great starting point.

Cheers,

BDA:cool:

:ausflag: Look.at me on Saturday afternoon ,out in the surf no targets hardly any people beer in left hand,(i pull my scoop tied to belt) When Bam king hit from behind yep assaulted guy runs off,police called ,i,am hurt ,doctors and police report ,ect,ect .But you you know what?i was out again next day keep at it never give up is my motto :detecting:

behond you. Also Max is right....no cell phone.......Disc set to zero...the detector will still reject iron. And Sensitivity in Manual set between the 11 and 12 o'clock positions. THe closer to 11 the better.

HH

Beachcomber

Tony hunting dry sand and wet sand is a Hobby, my take on the water hunting in wild surf is that it is a Sport. Like all sports you participate in you need to practice , practice ,practice. With time you will become comfortable in the water as you are on land. Expect to get hit with waves, you will learn to deal with them. My last 3 trips to a major beach in Fl. I came home empty handed, so don't feel bad it happens to us all. Good Luck in the future, the Gold will come. HH

Hey papa joe,
I been detecting, hunting, South florida beaches just about a year now. More often than not you wind up with current clad bottle tops and pull tabs.
rarely have I detected nothing. It happened in sebastian because of the heavy hunting and the 1715 booty. It happened again the other night where I was following up on a treasure map. Ship supposed to be in water near shore, but got not a peep on the beach. Forget south beach for numerous reasons, unless your in the water and can hunt effectively. In the past year, my first year got about 5 or 6 gold rings one class ring one or two silver and lots of junk jewelry.
keep at it, remember what mel fisher used to say, today's the day. Good luck.

Hell If every time everybody went out and came home with a fist full of jewelry I would sell my metal detectors and open a jewelry store. Not every team makes it to the Super Bowl. Enjoy the moment, cause one day you will won't be able to hunt ALL NITE (LOL)

The Gold will come my friend and when it does you will feel sooooooooooooo much better!!!

Been There Done That!!

GL&HH,

Cupajo

[size=large]Gentlemen....I cannot tell you how much better I feel about posting my shortcomings for all to read. I was a little apprehensive, but felt I could learn from you guys.

I feel much better now and am reading up on everything Beach and Excalibur related! I promise I will dedicate my first find to you all! As a Fireman, I only work seven days a month here in South Florida and have a lot of time to learn and put into practice everything you guys advised (plus, I'm single and with no kids and no responsibilities, so I'll devote every waking moment to this sport/hobby). Thanks to you all once again!

Post Script- Never found my phone (I had a lot of good photos in there) and will keep my new one in the car! I've printed the entire goldenolde Beach Section and will be reading it at the Firehouse.

I will keep you all informed. For now....I gotta go get a massage for my super-sore back and arms. lol

Tony
AKA-TenedorDelDiablo[/size]

http://www.thegoldenolde.com/

highlight this link and right click and click on copy....then go to internet explorer and right click in address bar at the top and click on paste, then hit enter.......mine gets it fine....I just posted this and I see it is an underlined link so all you should have to do is click on the link here....if you don't get it then you may have to lower your internet security...in internet options in the control panel on your computer.....not sure why you cannot get it but I bet someone who knows computers can help you with your internet options......if you lived close I would but I doubt if you are any where near me..Good luck. it is a great site...too bad you can't get there.

Try: http://www.thegoldenolde.com/beacher.htm

(www.thegoldenolde.com)

mattockman said:

I think he meant...Bam !....King hit (punched cowardly from behind usually)....Aussie expression for guys who are unable/too scared to "square off" from the front.....