Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"Singletrack Trauma" (A True Story)

Dirt NC

On my last few metal detecting outings I have noticed a decline in my overall physical stamina. The detector seems to be gaining weight, my knees creak and pop from all of the bending down to dig and the hills take alot more effort to climb. After just a couple of hours detecting I am usally swung out and ready to call it a day. Old age is partly to blame for my decline I guess. Fifty is not that old but let's face it, I'm not a spring chicken anymore. I decided that I needed a way to get more exercise. I don't like the gym scene. Having to pay to go somewhere and workout just doesn't appeal to me. Besides, I love the outdoors and was trying to think of a way to get in better shape outside, not cooped up in some sweaty gym. I reviewed my options, hiking, jogging, tennis, rollerblading, biking, hey thats it! Biking! What a great way to get back in shape and enjoy the outdoors at the same time. That's exactly what I need. A mountain bike.
A couple of days later I went out and purchased a brand new full suspension bike. Not a real expensive one, but a nice bike for the money. A little research showed that several county parks in my area had mountain bike trails of varied skill levels. I spent the next several weeks riding the wooded trails as often as I could. The riding was definately building up my stamina and I was enjoying the solitude of the woods. Just me, the bike, the wildlife and the trail. I was in love!
It didn't take long for me to progress to the intermediate level trails. My riding skills were improving each time out and I was enjoying the challenge of negotiating the various log obstacles,creek crossings, steeper climbs and other technical features that the intermediate trails had to offer. Sure, I had taken a couple of minor spills along the way but they had only resulted in a few scratches. "Falls are just part of the learning curve" a more experienced rider informed me. He went on to explain that speed is your friend because it helps you to skim over the roots, rocks and rough terrain, plus gives you momentum to climb the steep sections of the trail. Armed with this new knowledge I decided that I was ready to tackle the advanced level trail on my next outing. The weatherman said that Monday was going to be a nice day with temps in the low fifties. A perfect day for my next adventure. I was off work that day and the fact that it was a weekday ensured that I would have the eight miles of trail virtually to myself.
I woke up early Monday morning, loaded my bike and headed for the park. As I pulled into the trailhead parking area I noticed that I was the only one there. The place had been packed on Saturday with joggers, hikers and bikers who all use the trail system. I donned my helmet, gloves and hydration pack and headed down the path. After riding a mile or so down the main trail I reached the beginning of the advanced loop. Six and a half miles of narrow singletrack that featured tight switchbacks,single log bridges, steep terrain, big drop offs, and big jumps. "What a great adventure" I thought to myself as I pedaled off down the trail. I had no clue that my adventure would soon turn into a nightmare.
I was riding cautiously because I was unfamilular with the trail and what might be coming up around the next turn. I had already cleared a couple of the more difficult sections and my confidence in my riding skill was slowly building. I was feeling good and found myself wanting to pick up the pace a little. I caught a bigger gear and blasted up a small hill, then screamed down the back side. The trail dropped off into a deep ravine and then up the steep bank on the other side. "Man this is great!"What a rollercoaster ride!" I thought to myself. I wanted to ride faster. The trail was heading down hill again into what I thought was another ravine. As I got a little closer I realized that this was not a wide ravine. This was more like a very steep narrow gully! There was no time to slow down so I just braced myself for what was coming next. The ground! I dropped off the lip and landed on the front wheel still hanging on for dear life and trying to ride it out. The front end got crossed up and slammed me into the oppisite bank at speed. Then there was silence. I was not unconcious but the woods fell silent. No birds chirping or leaves rustling in the wind. Just dead silence.
It took me a few moments to get up. My left shoulder felt as if it had been hit with a sledge hammer and I noticed blood dripping off of my fingers onto the leaves. I hadn't walked two steps when my shoulder let out a loud pop and seemed to shift in the socket. The pain dropped me to my knees. It suddenly became clear to me that I might be in deep trouble. I managed to drag myself over to a small sapling and prop myself against it. I was starting to worry that I might go into shock and knew that wasn't going to help me. I sat there for a few minutes reviewing my options. The bleeding was from several lacerations on my left forearm. I rested my arm on my left knee to support it and stop the bleeding. I could try to walk out, but judgeing by the pain in my arm and shoulder I doutbted that I could even climb out of the gully. I had plenty of water and a cell phone in my hrydration back pack. I realized that the phone was my only option to get out of there. Gritting my teeth, I managed to finally get the pack off of my busted arm and shoulder. I located my phone and dialed 911.
The phone reception in the gulley was not the best. I could hear most of what the dispatcher was saying but she was having a hard time hearing me. She told me not to hang up and that help was on the way. The problem was that they had no idea where I was. I figured that I was about four miles in. The medic team were not familular with the trails and would be searching for me on foot. An hour passed and they still had not found me. The dispatcher informed me that the medic team was requesting a helicopter to help locate me. I could hear the chopper approaching my position in the gulley and I tryed to position myself where I could be seen. By now the numbness in my shoulder was wearing off and I couldn't even move without screaming in agony. After another thirty minutes of flying around the area the heli pilot spotted me. I had reflected my phone screen off of the sun and gotten his attention. He hovered over my position so the medic team could find me. After they immobilized my arm I was able to walk out with assistance.
X-rays revealed that I had broken my Humerus inside the shoulder socket. The good news is that I won't require surgery to heal. The lessons that I learned from all of this are 1. speed IS your friend. Until you hit the ground. 2.if falling is part of the learning curve,I learned alot more than I cared to on this ride.

One long, agonizing wait lay in store without it. Back to the safer trails.:thumbup: Hope you heal quickly !

Thanks for sharing your painful experience!

Dave

My shoulder is aching just from reading about yours.Glad you had that phone with you.Thanks for a real good story.

and build back up. That is, after you heal. I have never had such pain as when I broke my wrist! That was last May, and I STILL have problems using it fully. I think the bike riding would be excellent for the kind of work out you want, though.

It kind of reminded me of when I went snow skiing the first couple of times. But that's another story or two,.....or maybe I already posted them, I can't remember! :LOL:

Get better and do what the doctors tell you to do! :)

who are lost on Mt. Hood in Oregon. They say they are getting faint phone signals from a cell phone from one of them. I just pray they survive. All three were experienced climbers, two more so than others, so maybe they will survive and the weather will cooperate and they will be found soon.

My cell drives me crazy, but they can be good things! :)

.....more dangerous. Im glad you survived that escapade.

My main problem in dirt biking some back country in Az and NM seems to be a common one and one you have also. That is finding someone to ride with you. Lets face it, some of those places like you described shouldn't be ridden alone whether on a mountain bike like yours or a 200CC dirt bike like I was using. I trundled along a lot of back country trails by myself and survived thru sheer luck.

You might have to switch over to an exercize bike on the back porch. Hang a nice country scene on the wall in front of it and pump away.:)

n/t

right now I'm trying to get permission to metal detect on private land where supposedly Union troops camped when they crossed the White river.

Thanks to everyone for all of the kind words. The monday that my story referred to was this past monday. I am looking forward to riding and detecting again after the eight weeks that it will take my bones to heal. Well time for another pain pill. Happy Holidays to all.