Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

silver umax, vaquero

Having started back in the "Dark Ages" of BFO units and having worked my way to the present and having hunted in different areas of this country with a number of detectors one thing I know for certain is that the ground matrix (to include your items #1 thru #3) does indeed vary by location and sometimes within a foot or two. Sometimes a great deal, sometimes not so much. And please do not assume I am making GB my "main crusade" other than to point out one simple fact. In some areas, without some means of compensating for the ground matrix, a fixed GB unit suffers in performance. I think we can agree on that as a fact? Are there other considerations when buying a detector? Obviously yes! Is it worth spending a great deal of time trying to find that elusive, corroded two cent piece at the maximum depth attainable with that supposedly, deepest, highest price detector on the market? Well that answer I would also suppose, is something each of us has to determine for ourselves.

In some areas, without some means of compensating for the ground matrix, a fixed GB unit suffers in performance. I think we can agree on that as a fact?
Absolutely! That was never in dispute. What IS debatable - and what this discussion ultimately revolves around - is whether the tomfoolery of manually GB'ing a detector is actually needed all the time, for every user.

Many of the Tesoro users are pretty hardcore - I count myself among that group when the need arises. I have a Vaquero today because of that mentality. It's how I started in this hobby. For such folks, the manual GB feature can be a good thing and offers at lease these benefits:

1. It allows you to know, with a large degree of certainty, that you have eliminated the bias of ground mineralization.
2. It gives you the greatest chance to obtain the greatest depth over any given spot of earth.
2. It offers you a large degree of confidence for having that control over the search environment.

(It also requires some extra knowledge to employ it effectively. While few things could be simpler than a Tesoro GB, we can also agree that you can hose things up pretty badly if you mis-adjust it.)

Then, one day, I learned that are many users out there, and not all of them are pure hardcore. Some are actually casual. I know this because I became one of them over the years.

Manual GB'ing may NOT be needed for the cruising, urban style of searching and the choice of hunt locations that work with this method. Lets face it, woodchip tot-lots probably don't require it - a preset unit has it's place then. I see some great things turning up with those preset ACE 250's - I know, as I have one of them, too!
Ditto with my Golden uMax.

That was my larger point... there are many factors to consider when making your selections. In each situation there is more than one possible solution.

And I do agree that the Fixed GB detectors do a great job in those areas you listed. Actually the Silver has found a number of super CW relics in this country over the years and, I believe, the the Cibola was responsible for uncovering an Elephant token at a PA hunt this past Spring. To be honest I was so shocked when I saw the find that I didn't pay much attention to the type of detector at the time!

idig3 said:
I don't think i could have said it any better Dan. But it would still be nice to know. I think that the coil is one of the biggest factors,
what do you think?

I THINK.........all the treasure in my area that hasn't found the safety of 10" depth needs to watch out for my Deleon and stock coil this week.:lol:

I like your posts and you have a great way of painting the picture.

Thanks, Obi-wan (that should spark a memory):starwars:

Thanks Dan, the Phantasman!

I have been working on my writing skills - my book progresses apace and should be done by summers end. What you have said means more than you know:
It means that I am finally able to tie at least a few coherent thoughts together, while engaging the reader personally.

My dear sir, I bow in your general direction and thank you heartily for your unwitting critique!

I agree Dan, usually not. But, it is nice to have. WIth the vaquero I rarely had to use it when hunting inland unless I wanted to tweak, hot or cool, powerbalancing..... However, when going towards to the lake shores in my area I needed it in order to get the performance to get past the usual range of most machines, except the Cibola. In this type of situation it is better I think to have the GB option, it is better than having to buy two machines for happy hunting results.

I used to have a fisher 1260 that I knew inside and out, Leslie is one of my heroes. Lately I have found myself flipping machines looking for something that just isn't there. I am not really sure what IT is but I am prety sure I will know it when I see it, hear it and feel it. I can't blame it on GB or no GB tones or VDI or whatever. I suspect that we get too caught up in whatever someone else is finding and that the machine that we pick will get us there also.

I enjoy your posts along with many others and end up reading more than contributing. Great thread here, and I am presently courting my latest swap, no more Deleon. I have to say, this latest unit seems to have IT!

hi saika i enjoy the v also and agree with everything you said. how
did you find the c vs the v. My thoughts is that if you ever did need manual gb it it is there and eliminates having two with you.

That is my point. I am, how do I say it, financially constrained? I haven't been able to float more than one machine for a few years now.

As users like Leslie prove, know your unit well and hunt smart. Bouncing between machines is no fun for me. I like to get to know one machine and go forward with it. I just haven't found a machine that I liked as well as my old 1260, performance issues aside. The V is a better machine and I would probably buy it as my second machine if I ever got one. The Cibola convinced me to try a Tesoro and I did not regret it one bit. My only real gripe on the V is the battery life/behaviour. I saw today that some enterprising chap in England has built an 8xAA battery pack for the C and V, it mounts under the arm cup. I like it.

If you know your machine and trust it then hunting smart becomes the only hurdle. What is that lyric? You can't find diamonds in a silver mine?

Pretty good idea on the battery pack for the V/C, Pete. I'd like to see it. Got pics?

for the life of me I can't find it again, let me snoop around for a day or so.....M6 is a very cool machine.

http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/whats_new.htm