Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Settings for Bad Ground Conditions

MillerTime

[size=large]:confused:I currently am using Magic

The Ground Probe feature is activated by selecting the Ground Tracking Live Control and pressing the ZOOM button. It will remove the system and coil offsets and enable the user to achieve a more accurate reading of the ground..

To tune your V3i for the area you are hunting bury a coin at about 6". Try changing the Ground Filter setting and see if things improve or get worse. Do the Same for the RX Gain, Disc Sense, AM Sense. Then you can optimize the S.A.T., AutoTrac and Recovery Delay. I have all these in my Live Controls, and can do a set up to hunt a spot in just a few minutes.

Millertime,

Here are some setting from a friend in TN who set me straight on how to set up a machine in bad ground.

With his permission he let me pass on his wisdom to others who needed help like I did in bad ground. Here it is:

First off, start in preset relic mode.

Then you're basically gonna scrap the pre sets from there.

Under "Search Audio" put the machine in ALL METAL setting.

Then under "Sensitivity" adjust your all metal sensitivity up to match your Discrimination setting. I'd put it about 80-85.

This is going to enable you to hear the targets that the iron ground of Culpeper is going to mask. Running your machine in discriminate mode...all your bullets/buttons and such are going to come in on your VDIs as iron. So with the disc set to reject iron...you lose it all. You're gonna get the audio signal from the stuff in All Metal but most everything is still going to ID as iron.

That's where this next setting comes into play.

Adjust your RECOVERY SPEED to around 40. This speeds it up quite a bit...and will enable you to hear a sharp double blip sound on nails. Since you're hunting a Civil War campsite....you are gonna want to dig everything BUT nails anyway. This way you still get good iron targets...like shell frags, gun tools, bayonets, gun parts....that kinda stuff.

The good thing about the V3 is that it has a tendency to "summerize" the target on each sweep...so even in bad dirt, you CAN get bouncing VDIs that will go into the upper limits. But it will only be every so often. Your best bet is to use the machine in all metal at 40 recovery speed, and just be able to tell a nail signal BY SOUND from the others.

Oh and put the machine in SINGLE FREQUENCY...at the 7.5 frequency.

Under "ground tracking" put it in LocTrac...and then manually GB the machine ever so often. That dirt is so bad up there that auto trac will hinder you more than help.

That's about it. If you can't stand the all metal thing....put it back in Disc mode under Search Audio....then go to your disc settings and ACCEPT everything from -40 to +93.

You'll still hear the targets but they wont be as easy to tell apart as it is in All Metal, from my findings.

Oh and pay close attention to what the machine is telling you to set your RX Gain at. Around here I have hot dirt and the V3 only allows me to hunt with a 5 or less setting...and I'm still pulling minie balls at around 8-10 inches with it on 5.

deltamann

[size=large]Rob, I have a silver quarter buried exactly 6 inches deep on my side yard. I know there is no metal in this area, just red clay and sod. I take the V3i with the 10 inch D2 coil, which is documented to find coins 10 inches deep, couldn

1. Does your coil test OK?
2. Are you sure your detector is OK. Have you compared it to another V3i at your dealers?
3. Have you had other detectors, XLT, DFX?
4. Have you had success with any detector in your area?
5. Where do you and Deltaman live?

I know there are areas where [size=large]no brand detector[/size] can hunt in discrimination mode. Lets us know were you are located so we can see if any guys in your area have a problem.

A 6" quarter should read in any program. I've hunted some very bad ground and Illinois soil is no prize. Answer the questions than we will go from there.

Can your DFX see the quarter? Do you have other hunters nearby that can see it? Have you tried targets in other places other than your yard? It is possible that your ground is so mineralized that a VLF detector can not get that deep. There is also a possibility your V3i is not working just right. You might have a lot of EMI around your house and I would try testing out away from houses.

How far did you lower your gain setting? We have some test beds that require the gain to be set around 3 or 4 for it to work well.

I'm quoting Anne AK1234 [size=small](from Whites)[/size]

I didn't know you had a MXT and DFX. [size=large]Like Larry asked can they see the quarter?[/size]

You'll need a different dance partner for those type of dance floors.
Just the way it is :shrug:
HH
Mike

Ron, I'll try to answer your questions:
1. Does your coil test OK? Yes, my 4x6, 6x10 and 10 inch. The 6x10 and 10 inch went down for the count (different times) and were replaced by White's Service - both are relatively new checks good.
2. Are you sure your detector is OK? Have you compared it to another V3i at your dealers. I am relatively sure the detector is good because it was completely replaced last summer due to a lock up condition. I do not have a dealer close by to compare with.
3. Have you had other detectors, XLT, DFX? Yes, I also have a DFX
4. Have you had success with any detector in your area? Yes, my old DFX found dimes at 8 to 9 inches in an old local baseball field. My V3i has never found a coin size object at or over 6 inches anywhere.
5. Where do you and Deltaman live? 20 miles outside (east) of Atlanta, Ga.

The one question you didn't answer, [size=large]does the DFX find the quarter?[/size] If it does, then I don't know. A V will find anything a DFX will. It should do it with a stock program. ROB

Another thought is the stock coil will give you better depth than the 6X10 too.

Rob - I fired up the DFX with the 9.5 coil and ran test about an hour ago. I was using the standard C&J program and I could lock in on the silver quarter.

You have it narrowed down to the coil or detector. I would try the stock coil on the V.

Like Larry said. if the DFX sees it one of the two is not right. Changing the coil is the fastest and easiest.

I would love to hunt with you.. I think it would be worth the time and expense to drive up north. Reading a manual, reading forum tips, even watching videos is never anywhere as good at teaching as watching someone, in person, do a task... then doing it yourself. At least it is that way with me.

J

[size=large]Rob, I neglected to give you all the information regarding the buried quarter that I was using for testing. The silver quarter that I was using in my testing has only been in the ground for 4 months. I apologize for not giving you all the information. According to White

Man that type color hurt my eyes.:stars:

"According to Whites, a freshly buried coin is not a valid test to determine depth capability of a White Metal Detector"
You aren't trying to prove the deepest the V3 will get, you are trying to get the best setup. You have proved it is not the ground because you can see it with the DFX. You need to take off the the 6x10 and put on the stock D2 to prove it is not the coil. That leaves the detector. If it is not the ground, it's not, then it is the coil or detector. The D2 will prove this. Any stock V3 program will see the quarter if the DFX will.

Load a fresh stock program, I use Hi Pro, with the D2. With what you say and if you do what I said, and it doesn't see the quarter my guess is a detector problem.

I'm in Texas and I set up a mild program. RX7, AM60, Disc 85, RD45 sees a penny loud at 7". I said 7" because that's how deep I fresh planted the penny. It will see it with both my 6x10 and D2.

[size=large]Hi Rob,
With the rain we had yesterday and last night everything has changed, I can see and hear the quarter on both the DFX & V3i with the 6x10 and 10DD coil. Since my warranty will run out in the spring on my V3i I

Hey,it's hard to tell when it is working. I don't know your location. You can add it to your signature. We try not to make people feel like jerks for asking questions. I think I know who you are talking about. If it is too cold to hunt and you think you have a problem now would be a good time to send it in. Once you are checked out we can go from there. We are all here to learn and help.

[attachment 186494 ani_einstein.gif]