Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Royal, I asked this question before, but I can not remember...............

Kelley (Texas)

what you told me. The question is what camera are you using?

I need some help. I bought a Nikon Coolpix 5700 six months ago. When I try to take a close-up or macro picture indoors without using flash, the shutter speed is extremely slow which causes the pictures to be blurred. If I use the flash while taking the macro picture, the flash causes the photo to be washed out. I have not tried it outdoors to see if the shutter speed will be faster which would eliminate the blurred pictures. What is your advice? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Check your manual to see if there is a setting to shut off the flash, a lot of newer cameras have that feature. Or, you could try placing a diffuser in front of the flash like I do, a small piece of plastic semi-transparent milk jug works wonders. It allows some light to pass but doesn't give the harshness of direct flash. Just some thoughts.

Dave

but, when I turn the flash off, it is very difficult to hold the camera still while taking the picture because of the slow shutter speed. I think that you have the right idea, use something to diffuse the light from the flash. This camera has a flash built into the body that flips up when flash must be used. There are too many controls on this camera, so I try to take photos in the Auto Mode...just difficult to figure out how to use this thing!

I find a bee to take a photo of, then I turn the camera on and it makes a buzzing sound while the lens slides out from the body of the camera, then the bee will not stay still and finally gets pissed at me and trys to sting me...Debbie is laughing her head off from the porch, not very easy to take a macro bug picture. I am beginning to think that Yankee bees are different than the ones we have down here in South Texas. I really do not know how Royal does it! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

If I were you, I would take it to a local camera shop and have them tell you how to use it for macro.

I use mine in shutter priority most the time with macro and also use a flash. It is tricky to get the flash just right and like Dave said, sometimes you have to diffuse it. I have taped a napkin over the flash on occasion and that has helped.

I am sure that you could crank up the shutter speed and then force the flash inside and you will have better luck. If you set the shutter speed at between 100 and 200 it will get you better focus but of course it is dark. That is when I force the flash, which I am sure you can do with your camera. It is a good camera.

Most good camera shops are happy to advise you.

n/t

I think you have given me the solution, I just need to diffuse the flash. My son has a Sony DSC-85S camera that he is going to bring by the house this weekend to see if it is easier for me to use. He did say that he likes my Nikon Coolpix 5700 and that the problem is me, not the camera...I think he is correct. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

Just think of the fantastic paint jobs you could have on a car :)

all the best

M

Good one Fred... :lol: You might try a monopole stand for the camera, it will help steady it and doesn't require much setup. As far as the camera scaring the bugs, get it ready to take a pic before you get too close than all ya have to do is snap away!

Dave

would never see the colours unless seeing them like this..

Use a bounce flash and set it to bounce off the ceiling; or you can get a diffuser that is 'frosted' which goes on over the flash.

[I've corrected this.]
You can get better focus especially on just the object[and not the background] by running a low aperture number, like f-1.2 [the higher the f stop number the more things in the background will be in focus]. Use a tripod, and the timer or a cable release, and set the camera to auto on shutter speed. Using a cable release or timer will stop any blurring. Have you tried any 'stopdown' mode?

All the flash does is freeze that 'instance', it doesn't affect ease of handling.

Debbie has a gallon jug of milk in the ice box and when it is gone, I am going to make a diffuser out of a small piece of the milk jug to put over the flash...that should do the trick. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

half of the buttons on the camera does...I am using the camera in the "Auto" mode which means that the camera does the thinking for me. I do have a small table top tripod and a remote picture snapper that my Son gave me, but that would only be good for taking a macro photo of something on the kitchen table, something like a postage stamp or maybe a fishing lure. However, this would enable me to take a photo without using flash. I guess I could freeze a bug in the ice box like Royal suggested and take a macro bug photo on the kitchen table, but if it got loose in the house, Debbie would really be on my case.

After I cut the grass tomorrow, I am going to search for a bug that would be great in a macro photo. It will probably not be a fancy bug like a bee because last time the bee got mad and stung me. I want to take sharp, colorful, and interesting macro photos on par with the ones that Royal has posted. If I keep at it long enough, sooner or later I should be getting some decent photos. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I take my pictures in the field and don't like taking a tripod and such along. I use shutter priority and manual focus. I run the focus down to .1 and just move in until it seems to be in focus and snap away.

If I have good natural lighting I crank the shutter speed up to 200 and that helps with the focus.

The whole thing is to get light on the subject, it seems. With proper light you can crank up the shutter speed and get some good shots.

The problem with eyeball focus is it depends on the quality of my eyeball and I gotta admit that they are not as good as they used to be.

This photography is a reasonably new hobby to me and I find it facinating.

Thanks for the tips

n/t

CD disk that looks like a little record? My Son showed me how to use my camera, but I must admit that I have forgotten most of what he told me...for some reason I am having a difficult time learning how to use this thing. He tried to convince me to buy a Sony camera, but I had noticed that RM was using a Nikon camera...and you must remember that RM is a professional picture taker. I suspect that I should have listened to Dennis and bought a Sony camera.

Dennis and his wife will be over here this afternoon or evening and he is going to again try to show me how to use my camera. He is also going to bring his Sony DSC-S85 camera so that we can see if it is easier for me to use. In any event, one way or the other, I should get better at this picture taking.

I cut the yard this morning and planned on looking for a bug, but the darn birds have been in the yard since I cut the grass. I keep running them off because I think that they are eating the bugs. One way or the other, I will find a decent bug to photograph in the macro mode. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)