Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ron's Pike Peak Post Merged :D

Awesome trip. We got the last ride before they closed it that year as there were to many sparks coming out of the stack and it was very dry. Like you say, beautiful country..... The entire west impressed me except Kansas.... To much flat for my taste at least on the route we took. Utah, We fell in love with. For me, ,the more desolate the better.

Geo

I guess the train engine has to employ those gears because the track itself would be too slick...if something broke, you would be dead meat in a minute! After thinking about it, I think I would ride in the car to the top, but I would not sit on the cliff side of the car. I am like you, I do not like heights. Ron, this is a trip that you will never forget and it is a story that I will never forget either. Thank you! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

n/t

the cliff dwellings. Really enjoyed it there and we stayed almost a week in that area. We wanted to do more in Colorado but got one of those phone calls you never want to get. My daughters boyfriend had been killed in a car wreck so we fired the rig up and headed for home. She flew in from boot camp in San Antonio, did the funeral and flew right back to boot camp. He was of supposed to of gone with her to boot camp but had a medical problem at last minute. To bad, he would still be alive. Life has some strange twist in it.

My wife like it there in Paragosa at the Parellie horse farm. What a place....

Geo

I did not know that the country side was like that back where you all live...is it the same way where Ron lives? I have really gotten an education in trains today...I did not know that some trains had gears like this. Do you know if the train that Dave messes with has gears or is it a regular train? Thanks for posting the pictures...beautiful area. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Better be careful, some of those curves are such that you might meet yourself halfway through!:rofl:

Perhaps 3 hours for Ron. We ride up the way a lot on the bikes. Thats a beautiful area. Yes that one Ron is showing is a cog also. That cog is big, fact think there is a picture of it....Let me check...

Yes, here one of how the center cog engages the center track. 3 people were killed on it using this center rail cog sled. they would go from the top to the bottom of the mountain in 3 minutes. That had to be one heck of a trip. The sled was called the devils shingle.

Geo

Magnificent views.. :) But arid and dry. I do not think that I could live in that dry of an area

Calm seas

Mikie

n/t

east because it looks flat,no other mountains.i bet driving through all the switchbacks in the mountains would get old on a daily basis especially at grade.i did it a couple of days and it got tiresome with straight down drop offs all the way.

but went across the mountain pass from creede to silverton,the ute indians had a couple of camps as the were sheppards up there.we went through several sheep herds on the way over.i wasn't impressed with silverton but the drive over was great.this was in the late 80's,i thought about how much fun the ride would have been on a ATV but they won't let you bring them into town in silverton.

Dumb old me got them out of order but they are all here:rage:

The first one is part one, second part two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVmxT9CsvbQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COkT5xGBssE

was long and gradual....for some reason, I always thought it was a steep, steep climb. Also, it is a long mountain. Those were some good drivers that apparently know how to drive that road to the top. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

With no side barriers they get your attention and hold it... You start tumbling over the side your in deep do do...
Geo.