Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Realistic expectations

gware12

I read in a book that it would be fairly normal to find 100 coins per weekend or 5000 a year is average. Does anyone think this number is quite high. This does not sound normal to me.

It would be an impossibility for me. I hunt mostly wooded areas and remote locations. If I wanted to, I could work the parks and schoolyards. I have done this in the past and dug more than 100 coins in 2 hours on multiple occasions.

I have a friend in NYC who detects in city parks and has 200 +++ coin days all the time.

If you want to find 5000 coins you can. Just choose your locations wisely. Stick to parks, fairgrounds and school yards. Avoid Homesteads, woods and beaches.

Hunting clad in my area, I average about 40 to 50 coins per hour. If I'm looking for the older stuff, a few per day could be the norm. Personally, I usually hunt places where there are enough targets to keep me interested but still have a chance for something old, my average hunt lasts about 2 hours and 60 coins (kneebends).

Craig

WOW you must really be movin along or the area I sear is poor. I NEVER find that many in an hour or two.
When do you have time to dig the coins? :surprised:
Robert R

I live in a city of 40,000 and you would be hard pressed to find 50 coins a weekend consistently. You would run out of targets.
HH

I tested that "expectation" last year, and yup it's certainly possible to find 5,000 coins or more in one year. Some people find more than double that. But like the others have said, it depends on what you're looking for. Most people mix up the types of hunting they do. When you start off you might want to just "find anything" and the places others have pointed out (schools, playgrounds, parks, etc) are good for modern clad coins and lots of pennies. But do you think you have a realistic chance of finding a seated liberty dime at one of these parks? It might be possible, but it's not likely. You'll find that you either have to hunt for high numbers of coins that aren't worth much more than face value, or you're going to have to do your research and try to figure out where the old coins might be and expect to have very few nice, old silver coins. There are detectorists out there who only search for the big caches, and they usually go quite a while with no finds at all, but I bet when they do make a hit they could care less if their numbers are high.

I set a goal last year of making it to a certain number, and even though I accomplished that I started feeling that I was giving up "quality" for "quantity". It became a little bit of an obsession towards the end of the year, and I don't think I'll do that again for a while.

I've never been totally skunked on any trip, but I've certainly had my share where the finds were much less than I was hoping for. I basically use parks and playgrounds as a back-up to the good areas. If I go searching for old coins and don't do well, I'll more than likely swing by a school or somewhere just to get something out of the trip. I've gone out PLENTY of times where I couldn't get permission to hunt and had to go to a back-up plan also. I always have SOME place to hunt even if I know that it's not going to give up much. I've "paid off" my machines in finds, but if you added up the gas money and time that I've spent doing it I'd probably be in the hole. Do I care? No. I have a good time at it and love being outdoors doing it. And I've found enough to make it worth my while in my own opinion. So set your own yardstick and don't worry about how many coins you might be able to find. Enjoy it as a hobby, and be sure to set a good example for the rest of us while you're doing it. I might want to beep your area one day and I don't want any nasty surprises from people having bad dealings with you. I'll do the same in return.

By the way, I live in the poorest state in the nation and I still find enough to keep me interested, so if you live anywhere other than Mississippi I consider you to have an advantage.

Steve

If I dug all my coin signals I would do better then that. I hunt for the older stuff 6" to 8" inch. But have found lots of 1700's coins in the 4" depth. Most parks will yield a 100 coins a day of modern stuff.

[quote scars]If I dug all my coin signals I would do better then that. I hunt for the older stuff 6" to 8" inch. But have found lots of 1700's coins in the 4" depth. Most parks will yield a 100 coins a day of modern stuff.[/quote]

I have found colonials on the surface, so I dig all signals

If I find a 100 coins in a week end, then that would be an exceptional week end. Normal for me, is between 6 and 16 coins per hour, if I'm at a reasonable site. If I'm finding 10 coins or more per hour, then I consider that I'm having a pretty good hunt.
Mick Evans.

Think about where most coins would be dropped if it is only coin count. If I want to have a 100 coin day, I can go out right now and look for a fairly old asphalt basketball court and search the perimeter. This is almost consistent if the court is more than 15 or 20 years old and gets a lot of play.

Second on the list is the wood chips. always a good choice, especially a few feet from where the swings extend to. (You can usually identify this spot by the rut the boys with their feet as they try to get air!) Another is under the jungle jim, where kids are likely to hang upside down.

The dirt or grass around snack bars of kids sports programs is great! So are under the benches, both the team bench and the bleachers. You may need a sniper coil for these areas so you can get close to the support beams.

Here is a great place in the summer; The morning after the "summer series" concert at the park. Nearly every town has them and there are picnic blankets and kids running around and vendors selling ice cream. All of the ingredients for a good hunt.

The best day of the year for metal detecting is the 5th of July. Everyone and there brother are out for the fireworks display. And it is dark.on the fourth. Anything dropped is going to be lost in the dark grass. My town has at least 3 displays. The big draw last summer was a concert by Cheap Trick. (Remember them?) Over three thousand people were there on the lawn. The next day was a work day so i did not get out. :-(

Do these things and I can guaranty 100 coin days consistently!

I forgot to mention. I live in a country town, but when I get to hunt in larger cities, then the find rate basically doubles and often triples.
Mick Evans.

I really am not just wanting quanity but it seems alot of people find so much more than me and maybe I need to search out areas that are a little farther from home. I am just starting so maybe I am doing great for a beginner I dont know.

We're like RR,
We never get anywhere close to 50 coins an hour, but then it depends on the population count.
Then there are also wealthier and poorer areas, so a lot depends on where you live.
But hey we still enjoy it.
:twodetecting:

From May to the end of December 2006 I found 3345 coins for $213.90
For 2007 I found 7022 coins for $494.06
So far this year I have found 1313 coins for $102.77

And that doesn't include rings. I hunt parks but also old places. Some of those totals are wheat pennies and silver coins. A 50 coin day is easy. 1-2 hours.

I found 70 coins the other day and now I regret the knees still hurt 3 days later and Im only 22 years old. It had alot to do with the fact I was on the slope of a pool.

[quote Parkit]I tested that "expectation" last year, and yup it's certainly possible to find 5,000 coins or more in one year. Some people find more than double that. But like the others have said, it depends on what you're looking for. Most people mix up the types of hunting they do. When you start off you might want to just "find anything" and the places others have pointed out (schools, playgrounds, parks, etc) are good for modern clad coins and lots of pennies. But do you think you have a realistic chance of finding a seated liberty dime at one of these parks? It might be possible, but it's not likely. You'll find that you either have to hunt for high numbers of coins that aren't worth much more than face value, or you're going to have to do your research and try to figure out where the old coins might be and expect to have very few nice, old silver coins. There are detectorists out there who only search for the big caches, and they usually go quite a while with no finds at all, but I bet when they do make a hit they could care less if their numbers are high.

I set a goal last year of making it to a certain number, and even though I accomplished that I started feeling that I was giving up "quality" for "quantity". It became a little bit of an obsession towards the end of the year, and I don't think I'll do that again for a while.

I've never been totally skunked on any trip, but I've certainly had my share where the finds were much less than I was hoping for. I basically use parks and playgrounds as a back-up to the good areas. If I go searching for old coins and don't do well, I'll more than likely swing by a school or somewhere just to get something out of the trip. I've gone out PLENTY of times where I couldn't get permission to hunt and had to go to a back-up plan also. I always have SOME place to hunt even if I know that it's not going to give up much. I've "paid off" my machines in finds, but if you added up the gas money and time that I've spent doing it I'd probably be in the hole. Do I care? No. I have a good time at it and love being outdoors doing it. And I've found enough to make it worth my while in my own opinion. So set your own yardstick and don't worry about how many coins you might be able to find. Enjoy it as a hobby, and be sure to set a good example for the rest of us while you're doing it. I might want to beep your area one day and I don't want any nasty surprises from people having bad dealings with you. I'll do the same in return.

By the way, I live in the poorest state in the nation and I still find enough to keep me interested, so if you live anywhere other than Mississippi I consider you to have an advantage.

Steve[/quote]

I also Live in Mississippi, I'd have to say I agree with Steve.

I sometimes come home with over 200 coins from a hunt. Most are pennies, however, usually some rings and other surprises show up. When coin hunting, I just use a screwdriver and pop those pennies out as quick as I can with little concern with scratching them.
<center>

You can't find what's not there. As John said LOCATION. Larger cities have more sites and more possibilities. Where Leslie lives there fewer large cities but many smaller ones and lot's of parks. Very few detectorists also.
No matter where you live go for it.
HH

Hunting schoolyards and sports fields I just use a screwdriver and "pop" the coins out of the ground. It takes practise to pinpoint accurately enough but fast retrieval is the secret for big coin counts. It really slows you up if you're digging plugs.

Craig