Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Real find?

captainron

Interesting find this morning. Appears to be a shield-type Spanish 4 Real de Vellon. Spain made small quantites of reals of mostly copper with various amounts of silver mixed in, thus the "de Vellon". I believe this one has a thin coat of silver, as you can see where copper is showing in spots. Philip is on it so must be from mid 16th to mid 17th century, during which they hammered cobs. Thick definitely varies across it. That's all I can find out. Is anyone have some expertise in these to tell me what I have for sure? I, also, suppose it could be a replica of some sort, but, hope not. Also, the VDI was a very solid 80.

Sure do love my V3!!!:crazy:

[attachment 127141 4RealdeVellonobverse.jpg][attachment 127142 4RealdeVellonreverse.jpg]

Hey Ron, I have one just like it. Even the bumps along the side of it are the same. I was told it was probably a souvenir from a pirate themed tourist attraction. You up for a hunt

Thursday?

Nice find Capt'n. Those are out of my league so I can't help with the ID, hope it is the "Reale" thing, but it looks almost too good and I know a lot of replicas were made. Hope I'm wrong.

I believe it probably is, too, but, research did show they made reals, under 8 reals in value, in limited quantities during this period where a very large percentage was copper. Some the silver was mixed in with the copper and others were "coated" with silver. They differentiated them by calling the mostly copper ones Real de Vellon, but, the 8 reals were all silver or gold, tho. That's why I thought there was a small chance this was one of them.

You are right there Roy, even a gold colored junk ring makes my heart skip a beat or two when I first see it in the hole. Maybe.....maybe..................awe shucks....:ranting:

Then there is that day that you are looking over some of what you thought was junk before you throw it away and find a badly badly beat up 1835 bust half dime and you have had it long enough that you can't remember were you found it. Sad but it happened to me a few years ago. I still have it to remind myself to look closer at my finds :surprised: :surprised:

That's our Roy! It was fun to dig it and research something I had never seen. Keeps you going out time after time. Give me a holler Roy if you all are coming this way sometime.

Hay Cap real nice find , Iv found real stuff N fake stuff N thear all good stuff????????????
Youall Have funnn now you hear!!!!, Mickfin

It's always intriguing when you dig something you don't know about and start digging online until you find out what you have, whether coin or relic. Living in Illinois, I drool at the thought of hunting ground around the original colonies, seeing some of the very old coins and relics from the early stages of our Country. Maybe some day I'll get an invite to hunt out there when I am able to go.

Everyone have a wonderful, safe and fruitful Memorial Day weekend. :thumbup:

I, myself, am having back surgery tomorrow, so won't be able to get out and about for a while. :stretcher: I'll be looking here for all the neat finds you all make, tho!!

HH you all!!:detecting:

>>I, myself, am having back surgery tomorrow,<<

Good Luck...Hope you spring back like new ;-)

Jerry

Hey Captain. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers. Heal quickly so you can come back swinging...so to speak.

If you have a coin shop close by take it to them and get their opinion. My coin shop is very helpful on thing like that. Or you can send it in to get it graded and verified,which will cost you. I,ve got a world book, I,ll take a look and get back to you.
ronmsr

hi ron i didnt even know you was on this sight, great find and i hope your surgery comes out well for you docters do great things these days im living proof of that broken neck and two artifical hips and im doing good. you will be two look forward to hunting with you and YOUR GREAT PICTURES YOU TAKE

De vellon- 1-2-+4 .903 silver/Spain. 10-+20 silver/Spain. 2-+4 silver/?
I went through the whole world book and the above is all I could find. There wasn't any that even came close. Book was 1980 edition.
Did you clean the coin and what with? I would think that the copper would be corroded. Yet there would be .096 copper in a .903 coin. If the silver/copper mixture were off then you could have the copper showing. Same thing goes for gold. My class ring had a little spot that would corrode.
Hope this helps.___ronmsr

That repeating, exact shape (that dave5710 had) confirmed that it was a mass produced replica. A contemporary counterfeit would have been a possibility but there again it would have been faked with a heavier base metal. Fake but..........COOL. That would be a perfect start for a "Black Book" collection. I've seen some that are really neat!