Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rank horse, wild calves, arrowheads.................

Kelley (Texas)

In 1968, after I was discharged from the Marines and had attended college for a period of time, I was sorta wild and reckless...unsettled in my life. All I cared about was horses, cows and hunting for arrowheads.

I had heard about a ranch down near Cotulla, Texas that was looking for some folks to work fence and round up cows in the brush, and doing other miscellaneous chores around the ranch. This was a large ranch, almost 12,000 acres of brush land. The pay was not the best, but they furnished room and board and a horse. I called down there, but was disappointed when told that they were no longer hiring. Not accepting "no," I loaded my saddle and gear in my pickup truck and headed for Cotulla...I wanted them to tell me in person that they were not hiring anyone.

I arrived in Cotulla that afternoon, got directions to the ranch. When I pulled up to the ranch house, an old man met me at the front porch and wanted to know what I wanted. As he spit some tobacco juice off the porch, I told him that I had called that morning about a job. He said he remembered the call and said that I must have not understood him when he said that they were not hiring anymore cowboys. I said that I had understood him, but I wanted to work and wanted to hear it in person that they were not hiring. He looked me in the eye and said OK, I will hire you, but you better be good or I will fire you so fast that you will regret ever coming to Cotulla.

They gave me a horse named BB. It did not take me long to learn that BB was short for Bad Ben. The first time I approached that horse, he let out a snort and turned his butt towards me. I noticed that his ears were pinned back and knew it was not a bluff. He was one mean, nasty tempered horse. It did not help when I noticed everyone was watching me! It took some time, but I finally saddled that rank horse. When I put my foot in the stirrup, he moved away from me and did a small cow hop type buck. Well, by this time, I had just about had enough of the nonsense. I reached up and grabbed the bridle and pulled his head towards me as I swung up into the saddle. This caught him by surprise, but I guess it made him mad that I had out smarted him because away he went across the pasture as fast as he could go, throwing in a few bucks along the way. I looked back and saw everyone laughing, which just added fuel to the fire. Well, this was one battle with a horse that I was going to win, then we will see if they still wanted to laugh. It was obvious to me that everyone knew that this horse was bad news. I just gave old Bad Ben a free rein and let him do his thing. After a while, he quit bucking and started to slow down...but I kicked him forward, he wanted to run and buck, so lets keep running. Bad Ben now realized that this was not fun anymore...he had screwed himself and misjudged the cowboy on his back. I ran that horse until his tongue was just about dragging in the dust. He was now a changed horse, he never again pulled this trick on me. He tried a few other little tricks over the next few weeks, but he lost the battle each time.

One day while looking for stray calves, I came across a dry creek bed and spotted an arrowhead. I dismounted and spent an hour or so and found two other arrowheads. I am posting a picture of the three arrowheads at the bottom of this story. Earlier today, while going through some boxes, I came across the three arrowheads, thus figured that while I was in the mood that I would write the story about them.

Some of the cows and calves down in that brush country were wild and could be dangerous when messed with. Once is a while, some cowboy would get hurt by a mean tempered mama cow with big horns. You did not dare rope a calf because the mama cow would sometimes come after you. You had to flush and herd them out of the brush...hard work and sometimes frustrating because the cows did not want to be flushed and herded out of there...you had to wear chaps because of the thorns, and you were always at risk from the rattlesnakes that also liked to live in the thick brush.

I worked down on that old ranch for almost five months until we had the calves all penned for shipping to auction. During this time, Bad Ben and I became good friends...we learned to trust each other. It was kinda funny but the day that I left, I watched one of the other cowboys approach Bad Ben with his saddle. I wanted to roll on the ground from laughing as Bad Ben let out a snort, turned his butt towards the cowboy. I also noticed that the ears were pinned back. There are a few other good adventures from those months spent on that ranch...the day that Bad Ben and I took a bad fall, the day that another cowboy and I went to fist city because he slapped Bad Ben with a rope, or the time that Bad Ben saved my hide from a mad mama cow with the biggest horns that I have ever seen. Maybe one of these days I will share these adventures. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 34434 SouthTexasArrowheads.jpg]

Never heard it called that before Fred. The arrowhead on the lower left... is that quartz? The centre one seems to a type of chert... or a pale jasper. We have both types up here.

The lake is dropping like a stone so very soon, we will be out again to try our hand a finding a few more.

Good story fred... Thank you

Calm seas

M

as was this one. Something tells me you were every bit as strong and stubborn as BB. I think I've played the right card being nice to you Fred. I have been nice, ..haven't I ?:blink: Good to hear from you again you ole' potlicker ! Another story would be nice when you get a few minutes. All the best.

a cowboy from Brownsville, Texas slapping Bad Ben with a coiled rope while he was tied to a fence rail. I was about twenty feet away when he did it and when I headed towards him, he slapped the horse again. I just reached him and started swinging...it turned into a brawl that lasted about five minutes before several folks pulled me off of him. I will not allow anyone to abuse any horse that I own or any horse that is under my care.

This was on a Sunday evening and we had just finished roping some goats for pocket money. This cowboy always had a sour disposition, walked around with a chip on his shoulder all the time. Many of the other cowboys feared this man because he was a bully, always trying to pick a fight with the other cowboys. I did not like him and stayed clear of him most of the time, but this time he made a bad mistake and paid the price. I had beaten him out of third place and fifty dollars and it evidently made him angry.

I thought that I would be fired when Mr. Galvan heard about both the goat roping and the fight. He did not allow roping for money on Sundays and this man was his nephew. Just as I figured, this coward cowboy ran to Mr. Galvan and told him that I had picked a fight with him for no good reason. When Mr. Galvan sent word for me to see him at the house, I knew that I was probably fired. Mr. Galvan asked me my side of the story and I told him. I did get chewed out for gambling by roping goats for money on a Sunday, but I was not fired. The rest of the time that I worked at that ranch, the nephew never messed with me again.

In regards to the arrowhead, yes it is a frosty Quartz. I thought about this arrowhead when you folks found the clear Quartz arrowhead. I do have a Quartz arrowhead that is almost clear, but it is mounted in a frame and I can not get a good picture of it.

If you notice, many of the arrowheads from South Texas are simple arrowheads, no neck to them...triangle shaped type of arrowhead. The farther north you go, the more sophisticated they become. I am posting another photo of three more arrowheads to illustrate this...the small, long arrowhead was found at Seguin, Texas in 1986 when I was helping a friend build a riding arena. Notice how much more sophisticated it is made? The other small arrowhead was found in our front pasture, one of two found at the same time, but that darn "Tuff" came running by me and stepped on the second one before I could pick it up. He broke it and really pizzed me off. The big one was found on a ranch about ten miles from our place. It was chipped when I found it. I did find one of the chips and glued it back on. I used a quarter to give you an indication of their size. I am starting to go through some of the boxes because I want to frame some more arrowheads. I hope this is not boring to you folks, just had some free time today and decided to mess with some of the arrowheads and write a story for the Forum. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 34467 SeguinTexasarrowhead.jpg]

what ever became of him. He was a good solid horse, but mischievous at times. It took a while to teach him that I would not put up with his nonsense. I have always taken care of my horses and never intentionally put them in harms way while working with them. I have always had a rule that you take care of your horse before you take care of your own needs. I have always cooled the horse down before putting him in the pen or stall...when possible I would groom them before putting them up. They would be fed before I went to the house for my meal. Here is a photo of my horse named "Tuff" being groomed by me after we had taken a pleasure ride down near Leon Springs Creek. He is now in retirement and lives at my cousins ranch near Castorville, Texas. "Tuff" looks similar to Bad Ben. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 34472 pictureforsunny.jpg]

Question for you Fred .....Do you know by the type of stone used and design of arrowhead which tribe they would come from ? I suppose the area where they're found would be the main factor .....correct ? Just wonderin' here.

I have already started posting old pictures on the computer and will soon start writing my stories...I am trying to put together a scrap book to pass on when I am someday gone from this earth. I have lived a life style that has been rapidly disappearing and is mostly gone...I was very fortunate. It was a good life, a simple life, and a hard life at times, but I have no regrets and would gladly do it again. I feel that I grew up in the best of times. I miss the nights out in the brush, the sounds of the wildlife, the smell of a sweating horse, and watching the sun rise and set across miles of brush and hills. I will soon start posting a few stories as time permits. I think that I might have written too much today, said too much! Thanks for reading my story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

sounds like a cowboy hazing deal for the new man when they gave you bad ben.fred,wonder why the arrow heads around there don't have necks?,guess those tribes didn't notch their arrows,i'd assume commanche lived in that area some.

both my great-grandads were from tennessee,although one served in the civil war from an outfit from alabama,he moved to texas after the civil war and married my great grand mother when she was about 14,he was a grown man,maybe in his 30's.

he rode around texas and i believe they met around temple or belton,sorry for the long way around but anyway my dad told me a story about him that he was riding in to a town,want to say it was dallas but i could be wrong but he noticed some indians riding above him and he was in a low spot,maybe a creek bottom,as they started moving closer and picked up their pace he took off at a gallop.as he came near a thicket arrows started flying at him,he said there were indian women in this thicket and they were cutting arrows in this thicket and just sharpening them with a knife and firing them as fast as the could.

there's not alot of natural rock in the black clay of north texas,so maybe it was around here,you know how stories can change with the telling,but i feel he did have a narrow escape from this encounter,just not sure if i got all the details right.

I envy folks like you that were able to follow their heart. In all honesty, I often wish that I had chosen a different path. Not people.....just how I would've spent my life doing something else. I got caught in the race early and then there's no getting out it seems. Heck Fred, you've got those great memories to ponder. Lots of us would settle for that and I say that most respectfully. Whenever I read one of your adventures it never fails to don on me that here was one lucky man. Cheers !

n/t

You can't buy some of the things you have experienced and to be able to do what you wanted to do- face life on your own terms is indeed a rare thing. I believe you are correct about living in the best of times. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this snapshot of one of your adventures and trust me, anymore that your want to share would be eagerly read.Thank you.

I knew they were there and that you could write them so well:clap:
Those arrowheads are a true treasure. I have often wondered about the trade between tribes that brought Quartz or Obsidian heads into areas that had none of these minerals at all.
There is a talent for finding them that few people will ever develop and your collection is awesome!
If you have time, more of these stories would be appreciated by all here i am positive. The photos with stories add much extra!

Thank you Fred for taking the time :thumbup:
Wayne

Indians from areas with an abundance of chert or flint would trade with Indians in areas without much flint. I have a few arrowheads made from volcano rock...looks like brown colored glass.

Wayne, it is very difficult for me write some of these stories...you have to try to remember things from the past. At the time that you did some of the things, you never realized that some day that you would be writing stories about them. From time to time, something will happen to jar my memory, like messing with the arrowheads today, and I will write a story. Many times, a story here on the Forum will jar my memory. Often, I am just being lazy and would rather read the stories than take the time to write one. At the present time, I am in the early stages of putting together a scrap book and will post some of the stories as I compose them for the scrap book. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I would love to hear some more stories like this one that you just told us...this is a fasinating story about your Great-Great Grandfather and the day the Indians attacked him. Thanks for sharing it, I really enjoyed it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

As a rule, I know what Indians lived in the area where the arrowhead was found...often those arrowheads will be different from arrowheads found in other areas. There are exceptions to this as I have found what is known as a Clovis Point that are not normally in this area. The Clovis Point is usually found in New Mexico and are very old arrowheads. I must have a dozen of them that I have found over the years and have always wondered how they ended up here in South Texas.

Something else that most folks may not know. I have always been of the opinion that there are two grades of arrowheads made by an Indian...those made at his permanent camp site and those made while on a hunting trip or war party. The hunting trip arrowheads are not as refined. They are not to be confused with the earliest arrowheads in existence, but they are crude at times.

Now that I have mentioned hunting trip arrowheads, this jars my memory and I wonder how many of you folks can start a fire with flint and steel? This subject would make a good story. My Grandfather taught me how to do it and as a matter of fact up until just a few years ago, I carried a flint and steel fire making kit with me when out in the brush. There were many times that it came in handy. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I found it very interesting. Good to see you got on the right side of Bad Ben! It was kinda like that for me and my horse Tilly. But after lots of ground work, and time spent each day with her, just going for walks, we formed an incredible bond that lasted six years. I miss her very much, as I'm sure you miss your horse. Special creatures, aren't they?!
Angela:)

Nice job the way ya tamed ole BB. You sure had some fine adventures and I sure would like to hear about more of em. Thanks for puttin this one up buddy! Those are outstanding arrowheads, don't see too many quartz ones up here. We do get a few flint ones and some dark ones from Canada.

Dave

Matches can get wet, .... or they can run out. Steel and flint never run out and who cares if it gets wet. Just dry it out.. :)

calm seas

M

Thanks so much, for sharing that time of your life. I can't imagine 12,000 acres under fence! 12,000!~

Ole Bad Ben met his match I see. Fred, those are some really nice points, as well. Great memories and beautiful points...does life get any better? <><

aj

PS I have not forgotten about the photos I promised Sunday. Just give me a little more time. I am a slow learner.:shrug: