Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for Tesoro experts/fans

How can I find out what the key differences are between the tesoro models? I have compared them on kellyco but honestly it didn't tell me a whole lot. I suspect that is because I'm new at this and don't understand much of the technology.
But I have noticed there are quite a few and they seem pretty similar. I would like to know the strengths and possible weaknesses (if any) of the models. Thanks!:)

Give Tesoro a call and explain your hunting needs, experience etc. and they will answer all your questions...Or perhaps you can do the same for the forum and they can steer you in the right direction..In other words need more info to give you any intelligent input.....

I'll try to help you out some....
One difference is that they have different operating frequencies.. typically low frequency is good for high conductive targets (silver, copper, etc.) while high frequency is good for low conductive targets ( lead, brass, gold etc.)
This is not to say a low frequency will not detect gold,or a high frequency will not detect silver.
Another difference is that some machines have a visual ID screen to help identify targets before digging.
Some have multi tone that respond differently to different types of targets to help identify what is in the ground.
Some have only one tone for every target it detects.
Other differences are adjustable ground balance control on some machines, while others have fixed groud balance.
As far as other differences, some machines have two types of disc. control, threshold based all metal, and silent search in both modes.
Hope I didn't confuse you... didn't mean to get into this much detail.
Another great resource is to download the MDI booklet that Tesoro has on their website.. it explains all the terminology and has great question/answer section also.
Hope this helps some,
Felix

Thanks. I will look for that booklet on the website. How do you know if you need a md with manual ground balance?
How do people distinguish a "one tone" machine.? That has puzzled me.

One tone refers only to the tone, it can be a beep, a longer beep, a beep with soft beginning and end, a quick chirp... It's hard to explain, but beeps with crisp start and stops are good. Saying it has One tone is kind of deceiving, there is a wealth of information in the audible language that tesoros speak.

treasure4pleasure said:
Thanks. I will look for that booklet on the website. How do you know if you need a md with manual ground balance?
How do people distinguish a "one tone" machine.? That has puzzled me.

This is the page with Tesoro's detector info...except the Outlaw.
http://www.tesoro.com/product/detectors/detectors.html

Tech information is stated for all the units.

In heavy mineralization manual GB is a must.
In other situations with better soil it might not be all that necessary, but could be very helpful, anyway.
I always recommend a main unit having this feature if possible.

One tone...sure...but you learn the Tesoro language and that tone goes from being just a beep to something that has loads of information contained inside that beep.

Do a search for posts made by a gentleman named Monte. He has posted a load of information on the different models of Tesoro on this site.

treasure4pleasure said:
What are the compadre's strengths and weaknesses? I may buy one, possibly a used one.

Strengths...Not only is it a coin hog, but it is more sensitive to jewelry than most.
I have found chains and necklaces that I missed with other detectors at favorite spots I have hit over and over.
The Compadre found these fairly easily.

Small jewelry, I have never used anything so good at finding tiny things like very small pieces of gold and silver, including clasps on some very tiny chains.
My first time out with mine I found a bead from a chain that comes off a nail clipper.
This bead signaled loud and clear in tot lot chips, my Propointer had trouble picking it up in my hand.

Quality built, light as a feather and a lifetime warranty are some other great features.

Weaknesses...Can't change the coil so hunting in large areas can take some time.
I always recommend that everybody should have one of these as a specialty unit, not as a prime, or start out with one of these if money is an issue and when it is time for an upgrade with all the treasure you find with this, keep it as a second one but never sell it.

Depth.
Not quite as deep as some of the top line units out there, but it goes plenty deep enough to find tons of coins and a bunch of jewelry, which I have found plenty with this one and others, and all of that jewelry was well within the Compadre's range.
This includes 3 very large men's class rings that in sand at the beach might have been unreachable, but in dirt did not sink down any further than 4 inches in the years they laid there.

Nothing is perfect, but if you are a jewelry hunter like me, or even a coin shooter, it makes no sense to me NOT to have one of these.
A no-brainer.

Contact Allcav at Tesoro and have him send you their book publication." Metal Detector Information" It has all the models and field tests in it..

Yes it is Tesoro Publication.But, it also covers a lot of metal detecting things that apply across the board..

treasure4pleasure said:
What are the compadre's strengths and weaknesses? I may buy one, possibly a used one.

I bought a Compadre in February and became ADDICTED to MD-ing using it. So much so that I bought a Vaquero in April. I'm still going over ground with the Vaquero that I had already hit with the Compadre. My experience is that the Compadre really didn't miss all that much of the clad that was there. I've gotten some 5 plus inch coins from the 1960s with the Vaquero that the Compadre just couldn't hit on, but I ran the Compadre's disc above Pulltab, so I by no means utilized the entirety of the Compadre's depth. The Vaquero also seems to do better with coins on edge.

I bought the Vaquero long before I had used and explored the Compadre to it's fullest capacity. Don't be depressed by the small coil, like I was. It's a blessing in disguise for us noobs. It's exactly what you need if you start out your detecting career in a high-traffic, high-trash park or softball field. That's where the coins are, but that's where all the trash is, too. The Compadre's "single-tone' also has tons of info in it. Practice on some coins that you buried yourself to hear what a coin sounds like, or just do it the bull-headed way like me and dig a few pulltabs first. Max out the discrimination the first time out so you only hear dimes, quarters, and pennies. Then go over the same ground with the disc. in foil and listen to all the crap you didn't have to dig!

I worked my way DOWN the discrimination knob. It's depressing to dig too much crap the first few times out! The best place I've found to start detecting with the discrimination setting low (between Iron and Foil) is in a totlot. Tots don't drink beer and throw the tabs on the ground, but they DO drop dimes and charms from charm-bracelets and silver rings.

Good luck!! HH

Thanks muconium. ;) I am seriously thinking hard on the compadre. One good thing about it is if i did buy it first, and upgrade later I would probably still like the compadre and continue to use it rather than it collecting dust. Or let someone else in the family use it when i upgrade. And I could buy NOW and a Garrett PP and not have to wait anymore. I am kinda impatient that way. lol

treasure4pleasure said:
Thanks muconium. ;) I am seriously thinking hard on the compadre. One good thing about it is if i did buy it first, and upgrade later I would probably still like the compadre and continue to use it rather than it collecting dust. Or let someone else in the family use it when i upgrade. And I could buy NOW and a Garrett PP and not have to wait anymore. I am kinda impatient that way. lol

The Compadre costs less than a new coil for an existing metal detector. You can test out your dedication to MD-ing with it and move up if you're hooked!

The Compadre is my 1st Tesoro and will not be my last. I would have bought it for my 1st metal detector if I would have known about it then. I have found some nice jewelry and lots of clad with it. I found a gold ring in my 1st year that I have had it. I am still in my 1st year and it is my favorite detector to use. Even when I get a more expensive Tesoro I will still swing the Compadre all the time. I don't have to dig deep and it discriminates like a dream. You will never regret buying it. HH

I have to agree about it being your "never regret detector" That sums it up pretty good :thumbup: I will never part with mine!

Reassuring seeing so many that love their compadre. I'm wavering between a compadre or F2 with sniper coil OR waiting a little longer and getting a Vaquero. At least that's my thinking at this moment. lol

A used Cibola could be just like a Vaquero. Any way the things you will loose when you don't have a threshold are kinda really help full. Sizing an object is much easier, also depth of object. If its sound quiet its either deep or really small. If its loud its on the surface or big.... yes you can lift the coil up on compadre but you will still not know size of object. The more you know about the object in the ground will make it a better guess for you to dig or not.

This should sum it up
Here is my explanation of threshold.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvXO6H049wY[/video]

treasure4pleasure said:
Reassuring seeing so many that love their compadre. I'm wavering between a compadre or F2 with sniper coil OR waiting a little longer and getting a Vaquero. At least that's my thinking at this moment. lol

Hate to confuse you but---

Have you considered getting a Tesoro Silver u Max?

New they are about $90.00 more than a Compadre, but the two I have were bought used @$175.00.

I have had my first used one for about 5 years now and nothing ever seems to ever go wrong with them.

Liked it so much I got another used one at the same price for my wife a year later.

Even though now I have a V, plus a Tiger Shark and a ML XT 705 (AT Pro also but lets not talk about that) I still use my Silver's for many special uses and for letting others borrow when needed.

I find them great on fresh water beaches finding small shallow gold and silver jewelry.

All around the best inexpensive MD out there IMHO.

Good Hunting,
Denny

Left4dead: I have seen that vid before. Is that yours? lol :) If you aren't a radio personality...you should be. Great voice! :thumbup: Also great vid!
I have looked at both of those (cibola, silver umax) but the price is fairly close to the Vaq. and i figured since neither have manual gb , then i didn't want to spend that much.