Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for 1st seeded hunt:sadwalk:

stikman

I'm participating in my first seeded hunt, in about 2 weeks, and will probably use the MXT as opposed to my 550. Assuming that all targets are silver, do I simply crank my discrimination all the way up to only focus on the good targets? I really have no idea what I'll be getting into with this thing. I'm going to try my best to not feel like a fool after what this thing cost me. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stikman

Will they be planting the silver coins or numbered tokens to be traded for silver coins? Rob

Use the detector you feel most comfortable with. Don't worry about what target you just dug. Just go for the next one. Don't eat anything heavy before the hunt. That will slow you down. Don't over do it on fluids, There is no time to pee. Don't let yourself be dehydrated either, cause if you faint no one will stop to help you until the hunt is over. Speed, Speed, Speed...

It says:

Half Dollar Hunt................90%, 40% & New Half Dollars
Dime/Gold Coin Hunt.....Silver Dimes, Dime Tokens for Gold Coins
Dollar Hunt........................Dollars & Tokens
Main Hunt..........................Silver Coins, Dime Tokens For Handout Prizes & For Draw Tokens For Major Prizes

The only thing I see that wouldn't be in the high VDI might be the Tokens in the Dollar Hunt

Man where is this hunt going to be? Sounds like great prizes? Can anyone come? Seriously you have to go like the wind. Something I've learned is after the targets start to thin out go to a different section and when you find a new target hunt 360 degrees around it, and you may find a streak or row that hasn't been covered. Keep a mental map of where you have been and also note where the people beside you go. At our club hunt one year we started out of the long side of the lot. As we worked to the other side, Nancy who was on my left crossed in front of me and went deep to my right. The fellow on my right sort of followed her leaving alot open space for me, for a few minutes at least. And if Nancy is there stay out of her way! I'm a big guy and once she bump/shoved into the trees and poison ivy. Just kidding, but she can MOVE!

Good luck and Take care

Open National Hunt on the 31st of May in Topeka, Kansas. I grew up in Topeka and only live about 20 minutes away.

[size=large]Dave is absolutely right! SPEED SPEED SPEED. If you have the DX-1 on your MXT...take it off. It's doesn't weigh much, but every little bit of unwanted weight should be off your machine. Swing that thing close to the ground and fast! Get the rhythm of the swing with your fast paced walk! I've been known to out-hunt most men (sorry Dave)...:rofl: If they are silver targets put your gain on about 6 and your Duel Control at 6 also. Easy to remember! Make sure you have fresh batteries! Also if it's seeded, you will be able to pinpoint FAST with the coin/jewelry mode and look down hopefully see a slit in the ground and use your fingers to dig the target out. That's where my long fingernails come in handy! :devil: Boy those are digging things. Keep your digger in hand just in case you need to use it. It's easier to put it on the ground than in your pouch. Speaking of pouches, make sure your pouch doesn't normally spill when you lean over. Many targets you can get just by leaning over, NOT kneeling on the ground. One last BIG tip, when you are making your WIDE swings, if you come across two or three targets, put your machine by one, your body by the other and dig the third target, stay close to the ground and pick your machine up, dig that one then the last target. That way no one will be getting your targets you found with one swing. Boy, I'm giving all my secrets away! :detecting: Dave, don't pay any attention to my rambling here...OK? :devil:

Coil? IF you happen to have a BigFoot and they allow it, USE IT!! IF not, use your stock coil. The bigger the better and with your stock 950 coil, it pinpoints perfectly and doesn't weigh a ton. DON'T use anything bigger than a 10" coil. It will get heavy when swinging fast!

Most of all: RESPECT OTHERS THAT ARE DETECTING! You wouldn't like it if someone hit your detector or your person.

You will be having breaks in between the hunts and use them! Sit and enjoy and gear up for the next hunt. The less weight you have in your pockets and pouch for each hunt will help. Empty that pouch into a baggy for your next hunt. I wish you the best of luck and boy do I wish I could come play too. You have a great time and PLEASE let me know how it turns out. :cheers: I hope this helps and I'll be publishing my book on "Speed Hunting With the MXT" one of these days. :rofl::rofl:

HH to all,
Nancy[/size]

I heard that Dave!!!!!! So that's where I got the poison ivy that year. :blowup: :rofl::rofl: Can't wait till this years hunt! Should be a good one! HH, Nancy

Boy, thanks guys for the tips. I feel unbeatable now.:thumbup: Heck, I could print this and sell tip sheets after crushing everyone in the first hunt
(knock on wood)
I may never have to work again from the millions I'd make :laugh:
Nah, I'll let Nancy take credit in her book
Thank you, I'll keep you updated

Just reviewing everything before I head out in the morning. Wish me luck. I'll tell of my grand adventure tomorrow evening. Thanks guys.:detecting::detecting::detecting::detecting::detecting::detecting::detecting::detecting:

n/t

Stikman, I skipped thru some of the responses, but I attend two seeded hunts each summer. BOTH of these hunts use nickels as tokens and as some of the planted coins. If the hunt you attend does the same you DO NOT want to use much discrimination or you'll be missing a lot of targets. The two hunts close to me are a lot of fun and offer an opportunity to meet others in the hobby.
Good Luck and have fun,
BB

I think he said the tokens were all silver dimes. Hope he has a good time and wish I was going too. I love those seeded hunts! HH, Nancy

OK, here it goes. Lots and lots of prizes were given away. 25 or 30 gold 2 Peso coins, a few gold 2 1/2 peso coins, 2 old $5 gold pieces, lots and lots of silver given away in mini raffles. There were also a ton of prize tokens. 4 detectors were given away; an F5, F4, Ace 150, and Ace 250.
So here's how I did:
Half Dollar Hunt................No silver, only 11 clad halves.
Dime/Gold Coin Hunt.....4 mercs and 1 silver Roosevelt. No tokens. Tokens were painted dimes
Dollar Hunt........................8 presidential dollars. No tokens. Tokens were painted dollars
Main Hunt..........................11 mercs, 9 silver Roosevelts, and 1 Standing Liberty Quarter

I didn't find a single token all day but still had a lot of fun. By the way, I did win 2 walking halves and an Indian head in the mini raffles.
There were a lot of guys and gals that have been doing this for a lot of years, and every one of them were willing to give pointers and help when needed.
Even though Nancy had already told me all there was to know. :beers:
I'm definitely waiting for next year.

Not too bad for your first hunt. I'm impressed! I was cheering you on yesterday......did you hear me? :clapping: They fly through the course, don't they?! I love the pictures and thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. Those seeded hunts are a blast! Silver is climbing in the stock market too! HH and thanks, Nancy

The main thing is as long as you had fun - and from the pics - nice bonus to boot too. WTG!
I never been to a seeded hunt - I bet some get crazy though swinging a coil and digging technique.

Here's a link to the local news station that came out to cover the event. I hid from the camera because I had called in to work yesterday in order to go.
http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/46585052.html

Hey, that's why they called and wanted to know where you were.
[attachment 128444 Monkeys.jpg]
I didn't tell.........

Thanks for the link.. that's cool.
HH to all, Nancy

Nice job stikman, looks like you did just find an it sounds like you had a Great time. Did you use your MXT ? Thanks for the update on your great hunt.

Doug from Albany Ore