Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

problems 5 inches plus

Remember that the DFX programs were all setup low or calm, set for stability rather than for maximum depth and performance while the programs on the V3 (on the other hand) were set up HOT and may need some calming down in some ground... so that they will perform to the expectations of the DFX user. Especially if the DFX user has stayed with the factory settings.

The DFX the user is encouraged to start out with the mild factory settings and increase the gain and sens etc as the user becomes more experienced. The V3 the user may have to turn some settings down to gain stability in some ground or situations.

If you stayed with factory DFX settings you were probably getting good stability but not maximum depth (but stll good depth and performance). You might try turning things down a little on the V3 to get it to perform more like the DFX.

It was a White's design idea to set the DFX factory settings up calm. They decided the opposite with the V3, to set the factory settings up HOT. The two detectors are really similar in many ways and thinking about the way the factory settings are set up may help anyone to understand how to set up the V3, especially anyone who is an experienced DFX user.

J

Thank you Chris for informing us that the problem seems to be solved. Many people just leave us thinking there is a problem when the machine is fine. I believe I know the V3 as good as anyone but the 3 months I have spent using it in Texas this winter has taught me more then any reading can do. Maybe I can hunt a little better with Larry when I get back. Rob

Chris,

what exactly solved the situation for you? Swing speed, filters?? I read the posts a few times and really cant spot what you feel made the difference.

Please let us all know.

Thanks
Tony

Julien,
How would you typically alter your machine in the coin or cj mode if you are a newbie? I noticed you have an etrac as well and how does that stack up vs the V3?
Thanks,
Kurt

I'd start by trying the recommended RX gain, hold it at waist level and see if it is quiet, if it is try swinging it. If it makes any noise at waist level or if it falses try different frequency offsets. Choose the quietest one then if it still make any noise or falses lower the RX gain, try to keep the dsic sens up at least where it is preset, you may be able to raise it for more depth though.
Try a lower filter, sometimes I can run 5khz or 5khz high but I usually end up on 7.5khz high... it will be different at different sites and will have to match up with your swing speed. If you can swing slower you may get better depth using a lower filter. Raising the recovery speed, along with a slow sweep speed should make the V3 perform more like an Explorer. The E-TRAC is a bit faster than the Ex and leaving the recovery speed alone will probably be a good match to the ET. Lowering the recovery will increase seperation and may lose a little depth but will work better in trash. Someone said that setting it on 40 matches pretty close to the recovery on the F75, which is FAST. If you'll notice the "deep silver" program sets the recovery on 100. That gives the detector more time to see those deep targets.

However, I wouldn't change anything in C&J to begin with except i'd make sure that "tone ID" is turned on and try lowering the filter and swinging a little slower. In every program at every site you need to take your time doing the ground balance, as I learned from someone... you may need to pump the coil 20 times until it becomes quiet... and that will make a difference... then check for any noise with your chosen RX gain with the coil still at waist level, then swinging. Try the offset for the quietest channel then lower the RX gain if it is falsing. Offset for EMI, lower RX for falsing. RX only amplifies signals it doesn't affect depth and using less modulation with lower RX should help you not miss deeper targets. (Remember in the manual the modulation is backwards in the way they say what the 1-5 settings do... it is opposite of what the manual says).
The "wiggle" that people use on Minelab detectors works very well with the D2 coil to help bring in a target.

I can't think of anythinig else.

As far as the E-TRAC vs the V3... I think the E-TRAC is easier to learn but the V3 has more potential. They are both top notch machines and I use and love them both. However I almost always use the ET in Ferrous/2tones in the digital screen and rely heavily on the conductive number. Ferrous/2 tones does not false and the ferrous number is very stable, the ferrous number just has to be in a range. I also use a slightly modified relic pattern all the time, auto+3, fast=on deep=on.

They are my favorite two machines. There is a lot of thinking to do with the V3 but I think it is worth it. IT will also store a LOT of different programs. Once you get used to it the mixed mode is great. I'm trying to learn mixed mode with disc on, VCO on, and tone ID off and trying to learn a little about the info available by changing the resolution....

Julien

OK guys im back (with some bad news) as i preveisly said i went out between rains to check the settings from andrea and they (did) work great notice i said did!!!!!!! went back to the park to see if i could dig some deeper targets i may have missed before.turned V3 on done an ground balance about 25 pumps it was very quiet. found the normal clad coins around 2 to 3 inches then went inside tot play ground bumped the 10 DD on the side of slide ( not hard just a normal swing) the V3 started spiking up in the upper 90's then became very unstable would not even give good readings on a dime flat on the ground mind you this is a place i have already found several hundred clads from. so i turned the V off and started over again ground balance checked battery showed 10.78 volts all settings are still the same so everything seemed fine untill i started to hunt and the VDI's were all over the place even over loading on a quarter 1 inch deep but the VDI said dime/penny (Im about to give up im dissapointed!)im thinking very seriouslyof sending this V3 back home to the big O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmm, Now that is not at all good....Houston we have a problem......Did you try it with another loop while you were at the park? I'm thinking something may have happened to the loop (erratic behavior and overloading on a quarter at 1"). However, if you get the same results from another coil, that tells me there is possibly something wrong with the unit and in that case I would recommend that you send it in to be checked out as we've pretty much exhausted all troubleshooting steps.

HI ya;ll tried my 6x10 eclipse its not over loading but it gives a VDI of 83 on a penny at 3 to 5 inches deep anything deeper it does not pick up. seems like it does a little better right after a rain when the ground is saturated. I'm going to hang in there and see if I can work through this before I throw in the towel.thanks for all the info you guys have been giving.keep ya posted.