Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Probes, yes or no?

I'm fairly new to detecting, and used no probe for the first few months. I wasted a lot of time searching for the small items.
this caused both wasted time, and elevated frustration levels. I recently went to Harbour Freight and bought (for under 20$) a hand held metal detector that I use as a probe. This works surprisingly well. It picks up items from between 1.3" to 2"', depending on size.A grest tool for the price,and my search time has been dramatically reduced, at a fraction of the cost of the brand name probes. How it compares to the brand name ones, I can't say, but if you're on a tight budget, it does a great job!

that is an amazing piece of equipment!

(h.h!)
j.t.

A great machine from everyone I talked to about it, just too expensive. I hope it gives you many years of great service!

If I had to replace mine I'd easily pay that again - they are that good!
I can't believe with better Marketing they couldn't have kept that product alive - if you have one they are indespensible !

I use a modified Bounty Hunter (black case) probe...It is a no-motion probe with vibration and buzzer (I added a larger buzzer/vibrator), and I added an LED (for visual notification, not for seeing)...It speeds up recovery a lot, especially while night hunting, where you cannot always see down your hole so great...mods only take about an hour off of battery life...I can run this solid on touching metal for about 2 1/2 hours...Normal hunting 2 times a week for 3 hours a hunt, I can do about 8 hunts (about 24 hours).

HH,

Very handy to check dirt piles and sides of holes for quicker recovery..Whites manufactures excellent detectors but their probes are prone to malfunction with the on off button and depth is mediocre at best...

Ive used a couple Whites pinpointers, a cheap harbor freight model PP and the Garrett Pro pointer. The Garrett wins, hands down. The details of how well it works are all covered in John Edmonton's review in Katz's post above. Bottom line is the workmanship, engineering and peformance are light-years ahead of the other models I've used. By reviews the pistol probe sounds like it may get better depth, and I'm sure it's a good machine, but I love the sleek, compact solid shape of the Pro pointer. I really don't want to be pulling ANYTHING even remotely gun-shaped out in public. Maybe I'm a little paranoid but sometimes it's a strange world. JMHO
HH
Scott