Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

POST your BEST FIND of 2008 here!

Steve(OR)

I'll get it started with mine...

... a simple silver ring from a 40's era school.

[attachment 114026 silver_ring.jpg]

Why is it my best of 2008? It was my first full year with the Explorer (SE), my first ring of the year and my first silver of the year, and from a school that I had visited 15-20 times previously (with lots of wheats and clad), but never any silver. I knew there had to be some silver... :thumbup:

Anyway, looking forward to seeing everyone's best of 2008!

SCM

2008 was my first year detecting,,, I got Barber Quarters... A 1850 Half Dime,,, And a 198 Silver Eagle that is not supposed to be in circulation.. I don't know how it got there ,, But i found it about 100yard from a big playground.. Plus lots and lots of other goodies..... All with the Explorer SE... Thanks for looking

Derrell

I found this model 1832 U.S. staff officer's belt plate on my wife's family property. It had been discarded when the tongue broke off. Through research of the family history is appears that the grandfather, Richard Birch, of the landowner (John Richard Burch, Jr.) somehow got the rare belt buckle in Pensacola while serving in the Louisiana militia as a private. Andrew Jackson was at war with the Seminole Indians, and Birch (spelled with an "i", but the family name devolved as "Burch") served only 6 months before returning home. His grandson, John R. Burch, Jr., joined the 9th LA and served in the Stonewall Brigade from the start of the War Between the States until he was seriously wounded at Sharpsburg, MD (Antietam). He returned home for the remainder of the war as unable to serve due to his wound.

Found a nice 14k crucifix on heavily hunted playground. Total wt. close to 1/2 oz. Christ is of rose gold and nails are 14k.
Using Explorer ll with new 11 inch coil.

I found this earlier in the year with my SE. It was a broken low tone, nice and deep in the wet sand at the ocean.

Didnt get out hunting alot this year, spent alot of time getting back into cycling. Completed my first half century, this year

hopefully a full one:beers:

HH
Neil

Back in the spring I found this 12 gram platinum ring the very first time I used my new WOT coil on the beach. I should have sent it to a refiner before the bottom fell out of the market.

Very good year of relic hunting for me numerous good finds.
My favorite is the Confederate metal I found at old plantation site but it was a hard decision between the officers spur and the metal!
Show i pictured both.
Also had a great year with the seated liberty's including one that is a 1841 (O) dime in close if not mint condition.
It will be sent off for grading in 09.
Both my belt plates were found in 07 pictured in the back ground.
I am siked about 09 and plan to pound the ground hard and heavy starting on the first at a new exciting location.
Good luck to all and happy hunting!

JK

Best Relic find was my Daguerreotype photograph from the 1850's that I restored using a modified electrolysis and distilled water technique.

Best Coin was a 1722 Rosa Americana Penny that I found in a freshly plowed fire ditch, not too many of these are ever found and most are found in horrible shape due to the high zinc content (24.7%).

Don
(Original XS user)

I was there, and you're Explorer was kicking A$$!!!! Ring after ring kept popping out of the ground, 14k, 10k and it seemed like they just kept coming!!! What a great day that was.......for YOU!!!! As to the rest of us...nada!!

This beautiful Seated Dime - my first Seated Dime too! Found a Seated Quarter that's older a few years back, but this was a real surprise and in wonderful shape too with full "LIBERTY"!

I think you all KNOW what my best find for 2008 was....I feel like I had a GREAT hunting year in 2008 and am looking for a PHENOMENAL hunting year in 2009!
PS--- I got my new SEF 10x12 from Santa this year...DIRT.... LOOK OUT!

HH Duane

Remember back in March? In keeping with my promise to the homeowner, it sold at a Heritage auction in Long Beach in October- at least I had it for a while.

Happy New Year and best wishes for a prosperous 2009!

Jeff in Mass

I found this silver dollar in some road construction in a neighboring town. It was in the mud under a big mud puddle. I was really surprised. It was all black with corroded junk all over it. I had to wash it off a bit to even tell what it was. It cleaned up nice though. This is the second silver dollar I have found in eleven years of detecting, so I guess it wins out over my nice 1867 Indian head. Found the dime that day too.
HH - BF

This Fugio with club rays was my best find of the year. It was a thrill to dig it up, too bad about the environmental damage, it's not worth too much.

Coins - Jewelry - Medal
In the spring of 08 I was hunting a boulevard and found enough coins in one section I went and asked permission to hunt the adjoining yard. The owner ok'd it but told me a lot of junk was in the yard because her Dad use to junk iron for extra income. I was a little hesitant but went anyway. Boy am I glad I did! I found an 1877 seated liberty half and was so excited I stopped and called my wife. It was my first seated half. After about 30 minutes I settled down enough and went back to hunting and found another. I couldn