Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointer

I thought at one time that I didn't need one either but after I got one, I found out that I could retreave a targer much faster than without one. Still some do well without using one, each to his own.

i see your point,and i canntell you it is not economics that keep me from purchasing one,as you said!.some dont need one,and i guess i am in that crowd!..to repeat!..NEVER had a problem pinpointing a target,and i have been at this for more than 30 years!

(h.h!)
j.t.

also!.for the sake of conversation,pinpointers did NOT exist back in the sixties,and seventies,and one hell of alot of treasure got recovered!..granted they had NOT been invented yet,but you didn't hear anyone bitching,and that is because they used the DETECTOR to pinpoint ALL their hits!..NO PROBLEM!..really do not see the need for one at all!.why do you NEED TWO detectors to pinpoint one target!..
sorry,but just a sucker's game to me!

(h.h!
j.t.

Yeah, I wish I could transport back in that time and really clean out with one of the now modern detectors! I did some detecting back in the early seventies when I was young but those detectors didn't have much depth, at least not the ones we were using. I think as the stock coils got larger then pinponting isn't always dead on, there are a lot that still don't use pinpointers, also some of it has to do with the fact that some detectors pinpoint better than others and the type sites that one detects may be a factor. A 5" or 6" coil will fairly well pinpoint dead on too. Some of us too like to buy other metal detector related stuff as well. Talking about extra stuff, I have several detectors and can't use but one at time, I guess most of us have way too many toys:lol:

I also have been detecting more than thirty years and don't bother with a pinpointer though I have in the past had both cheap ones and the expensive P.I. based as freebies.
Some of the cheaper modern coils do pinpoint in odd places or have the pinpoint area move according to the targets depth. With the machines I use (maximum coil size 14 inches + the 18 inch Bigfoot) I just don't need one. With a machine such as the Spectrum if Pre Amp is increased to boost DC sensitivity rather than DC itself then pinpoint is sharp and dead on. Do it the other way and I would think you would need a pinpointer.

yes!..even the early transmit/receive detectors pinpointed well enough,because as you state,and i agree,the size of the coil was smaller (8 inches)so therefore it was easy to pinpoint "dead nuts" on!
as i have stated i primarily use a 6" coil most all the time,and when i get a hit,this coil zeroes right in on the target,and i know that when i dig!..(very carefully) i might add,that my target will be in a handful of soil that i take out of the hole i am digging.if i do NOT find it within a few seconds,THEN i just grab the handle of the detector,and sweep the handfuls of soil,and no more than a few seconds later,the object HAS been found and is sitting in my hand!..i can tell you honestly that NO more THAN A FEW SECONDS passes before i find my target,so really no need for a pinpointer at all!

i am not familiar with the adjustments on a xlt,however i can tell you from experience that if you learn how to pinpoint PROPERLY with any detector in MY opinion,you DON'T need one!any detectorist HAS the best pinpointer of all in the INSTRUMENT he,or she uses ALL,or most of the time!..again!..in MY opinion,you can pinpoint well with any detector IF you take the time to LEARN it well!..save your money,and buy a GOOD pair of headphones instead!

regards!
(h.h!)
j.t.

I done a bit over 25 years of detecting, tried a pinpointer less than a year ago, now have a few pinpointers, sunray probe on one of my machines, and also the Uniprobe. My only regret is I wish I had got into the pinpointers sooner. My opinion is it's well worth it.

n/t

hello!..ron!
yes i guess i have been a little over zealous in my lack of enthusiasm for one!

(h.h!)
regards!
j.t.

[quote jmaryt]may i also add this note!..i have ALWAYS used white's instruments,and consider them to be the BEST pinpointing detectors in the field,based on personal use![/quote]
If you have ALWAYS used Whites then how do you know they pinpont the BEST? What part of the country are you located in? I sure would like to challenge you to a duel with my inferior detector and my pinponter. Most signals recovered wins, period. A one hour duel for pink slips maybe?

you are right!..i guess i am biased because of my long association with whitey's instruments!.i retract that statement ,because again,it is inaccurate,and biased.i SHOULD have said,WHATEVER detector you have become accomplished with,REGARDLESS of manufacture WILL be the BEST pinpointing detector for you!..i stand corrected!as far as the contest is concerned,now THAT would be an interesting match-up..i can tell you this!.there will be one "hell" of a lot of coins recovered,
based on total experience,and NO pinpointers used!..sounds to me like you have been at this a long time too,and don't need one either!

regards!
(h.h!)
j.t.

(btw!)...on second thought,YOU would win!..i realize alot of people like 'em,and that's fine,but i just never experienced any recovery issues over the years,so therefore feel i don't need one!..that's all!

(h.h!
j.t.

Sometimes I only go out diggin with a screwdriver. Really helps me get my pinpointing down. Other times in deeper holes that pinpontin probe really helps a lot. I have a bad habit of piling up the dirt from the hole too close to the hole which makes the target even farther from the coil. To each his own, but I think someone just starting out would benefit greatly from a pinponter. :surrender:

I bought a Automax V2 on eBay years ago, and I CAN'T IMAGINE going out without it. It's large, but I've learned to manage that, and the long thin probe is excellent for getting down into narrow holes. I've tried the VibraProbe, but I still prefer Automax. The only drawback I see is that it requires re-adjusting on nearly every hole, but it's easy and fast, and worth the extra effort to have the adjustable sensitivity. It saves at least half the digging time.

On the rare occasions I find myself without my Automax I get the same kind of feeling as if I'd left the water running at home or the kitchen range lit, or just got a call from the IRS......it's just not a comfortable feeling.

Marc

i used to think that a pin pointer was just a waste of time..but then i got one, and it saves soooo much time/digging. i have carpel tunnel in my digging hand so it really helps me.
GET ONE! YOU CAN GET A USED ONE FOR $50!!!! THATS WHAT I DID!!
i will never hunt without one!

i agree!..a new user probably wpould be helped at first,however once he actually learned how to pinpoint with the detector,then it wouldn;t be necessary!..at that point though,again probably so used to using the pinpointer,probably always keep it with him anyway!

(h.h!)
j.t.

It's like American Express., "don't leave home without it". I use the Wizard VibProbe II, modified to turn on with the trigger. Works great. Works better than the Automax and not as cumbersome.

I was like you, didn't know if I needed one or not. So I decided not to invest too much money in one and since my eyes ain't what they used to be I started looking around for one. I decided on the Wizard Vib Probe mainly because of price ($37.95 plus s&h from mytoolstore.com). I found I really liked it except for having to roll the little thumbwheel to turn it on and set the threshold each time I used it. It didn't take many times doing that with a dirty thumb, until the screw came out of the thumwheel and it came loose. Well, then I had to tear into it.
Now the Vibe Probe looks like a toy gun and it has a trigger on it for turning on an LED for searching in lo light. Well I never used the LED, so I got to examining the layout of the Vib Probe and I saw that I could modify it in such a way that the trigger could be used to turn the probe on, not the LED. By cutting the black wire from the battery, soldering it to one side of the trigger switch, and cutting one lead of the LED, so it wouldn't stay on all time, the Vib Probe is now the perfect pinpointer. Now, all I do is pull the trigger to turn power on. While holding the trigger, I set the threshold one time and it is ready to go. Now I just pull it from its holster pull the trigger and start pinpointing! It works great.
Now it won't go 2 or 3 inches. But to me that's not what I needed a pinpointer to do. I have a metal detector for that. It helps me find what I have already removed from the hole, and helps me find what's in the hole along the sides, because it is off of center a little because my metal detector was fooled because of the objects' orientation in the ground.
This may not be the deepest seeking pinpointer out there. All I have to compare to it is my friend's AutoMax. The Vib Probe works as well, if not better, and is a lot easier to carry on your belt. I use a clip on cell phone holster to hold mine. Don't even know its there, but I sure reach for it alot. It works for me.

[attachment 60043 DSC00011.JPG][attachment 60044 DSC00013.JPG]