Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

pin pointer

gun runner

Hi All looking for a pin pointer I don't like spending money twice so I want to buy good one any Help out there compact would be nice Thanks

I use a Garrett Pro-pointer and it's HOT! Automatic adjusting. Will get a quarter at 2 inches. Check them out.

I use the Garrett Pro pinpointer also. Unless they come up with one that is linked to some kind of xray/see through the dirt glasses, I won't use anything else. It is an amazing compliment to any detector.

The pistol probe is supposed to be hot also. I based my purchase on the Garrett's size, user friendly shape, water resistance, ease of use, and depth. 2-4 inches away from a coin is no problem for this probe. Only drawback is the speaker volume is fixed and a little loud. Easily controlled with a piece of electrical tape. The audio (broken to constant tone, not increase in loudness) and vibration increase with proximity to the target which is pretty cool. For shallow coins that you can simply "pop out" there is no guess work at all. For a good size piece of dirt out of the hole, the side sweep capability of the probe increases recovery speed very well. I have found minute size pieces of metal that my old probe would have completely ignored.

My opinion only, good luck!
Mike

any thoughts on treasure mate pin pointer

A pinpointer is on my list for this year. I purchased and used my first ever metal ( X-terra 70) detector last year using it without a pinpointer. As a new detectorist I was elated to use a metal detector that as a "newbie" I was able to find current clad seemingly easily. It was almost immediately upon using my new detector that I realized the need for a pinpointer.

I am now looking at the pistol probe and the I think it is called the uni probe. It is the sheer depth that draws me to these pinpointers. They both seem to have good reports about them while each also have some negatives.

I am eager to actually have and use one but reluctant to make a definitive choice because I am waffling about which would suit me best.

Posts and opinions about pinpointers are for me most invited topics at this point in my early detectoring experience. I look forward to more of your responses about them.

My reasons for chosing an electronic pinpointer are somewhat different than others who have responded. Personally, I do NOT want one that detects 2 or 3 inches deep. I can use the coil for that. I want an electronic probe that pinpoints the target, whether in the hole or in a plug. I like my VibraProbe is because it only detects an inch (or so) deep. After I dig a hole, and if I don't happen to see the target at that point, I can sweep the coil over the hole and the plug of dirt to see where the target is. If it is still in the hole, I can stick the VibraProbe into the hole and find it. If I can't, then I know it is at least another inch deeper. On the other hand, if it is in the plug, I simply probe the soil until I find the target. The VibraProbe automatically turns itself on when I want to use it. And, it shuts itself off when I am done. Simply turn it upside-down for a second and it comes on. When you put it back in the holster (supplied with it), it shuts off after a couple minutes. Also, as the name infers, it vibrates instead of making a tone. I don't want to have to remove my headphones to hear another tone. And I didn't want to spend a couple hundred bucks. MY VibraProbe is waterproof, rugged, durable and easy to carry. JMHO HH Randy

Im thinking a pin pointer may help me as well....

I've had the Pro Pointer, the Vibra Probe, DX-1 and the Detector Pro Pistol probe. I liked them all and they are worth the money. The Vibra probe was nice because it was only hot at the tip but, it and my X-70 did not get along at all. The DX-1 was also great on my MXT because you can detune it to where only the tip is hot like the Vibra Probe. The Pistol Probe went deeep. The Pro Pointer was also nice because of it's compact size. However, now, I am hunting old home sites and don't use a pin pointer because I always dig a big hole so I won't scratch anything valuable. So.. I guess what I'm saying is the good ones are well built and well worth the money especially if you are hunting public parks were you want to keep you're holes as small as possible.

I have a Treasure Mate, and it comes down to two words, LIFETIME WARRANTY. I had a problem with the on/off switch just a few weeks ago. I called the number on the side of the Treasure Mate, and spoke with Les Berg, the actual creator of the Treasure Mate. I told him what was happening, he said send it in, tell them the problem, and I would be taken care of. Got it back with no problems, fast and free of charge. Plus, the resale value is great if I ever want to sell it (which I doubt). My only fault with the pin-pointer is that the sensitivity knobs can be easily bumped, and change the preferred settings, but this is a quick fix. This is a hot little pin-pointer, and would hate to be without it.

I have the Garrett and really like it. I also put tape around the speaker. I had the Vibra Probe and did not like it? IMHO I did not like how close you had to get to an object to find it. It interfered with my X-Terra, ( I know all I had to do was move it). It also would at times turn itself on while in my car (I wear my gear belt while driving).

The Garret hits deeper without being overly deep. I like the true off on switch. It does not seem as bulky (IMHO). It does not interfere with my X-Terra.

What I really think it boils down to is to find one you like and use. That is the one that will be the best for you, Beale.

Thanks everyone for all the input I guess its a toss up between the Garrett & Treasure mate got some good feed back

Out of curiosity, but it was mentioned earlier in this thread about the dislike for a pin pointer which detects too deep and I can understand this especially in soil which may be heavily populated with metal fragments. On the pistol probe and uniprobe are there adjustments to alter the detecting depth of the pin pointer so as to create a shallower detecting depth?

Also the Garrett Propointer can be detuned. This will narrow down the detection field. But I have used the Propointer for at least 3 months now. I have never detuned a target. I get 2.5 to 3 inches on coins. Here is how I use it. I get a beep. I probe the ground with the tip holding the probe vertical. 8 out of 10 times the thing goes off. Now depending on the tone intensity and speed of the vibration I know how deep my target is. Plus I know exactly where it is. I can either pop it out or dig the proper depth flap. BINGO ( Uncle Willy's term) there it is! Now if I probe the ground and the pinpointer is silent then I know it's deeper than 3 inches. So I dig a 4 inch flap. The probe tells you how far you are from your target. So I don't know why you would need to detune it or use a less sensitive tool? I'm also running on the same battery that it came with. The other thing is that it self adjusts. No messing with knobs! Plus the LED lite is great when it's dark. I can't say enough about it. Some say it's too loud. Me too around other people. All I did was wrap yellow electrical tape around the handle and over the speaker. The sound lowers by 50% which is good for me. I can still hear it with phones on.

The Pro pointer (Garrett) fills the bill very nicely for compactness. It's also very easy to operate and good for 2 inches on coins. It even has a small light that points down the tip of it.
For roar power, you can't beat the Pocket Probes. I have found that the cable and knobs get in the way with the pocket probe, but the pistol grip has eliminated these problems plus give a bit more depth.
Depth is always good, but so is compactness. It comes down to which of these features that you prefer.
Mick Evans.

Hey Kenny. We replied at the same time. Cool.:thumbup:
You brought up some great tips there. I also shoved some blue tac into the speaker grooves as well to further quieten down the pro pointer. It very quiet now. I really didn't like the start up audio, but it's sweet now.
Mick Evans.

Great idea about the thumb gum. I took my propointer apart to see if I could put an off/on audio switch in there. Just not enough room. Plus the Piezo buzzer is surface mounted to the board. Also the buzzer itself is sealed to the inside of the housing via a rubber washer. So if you take the speaker out it would leak water. Then you would have to epoxy the speaker holes. I decided that tape was really the way to go. Plus it doesn't void the 2 year warranty. I agree about what you say about the size. It's perfect and built like a tank. Another tip. If you leave the propointer on for a minute it will detect another inch deeper. Try it in an air test. I don't know why but mine works better now. I guess the vibrator motor has broke in?

The Garrett Pro-Pointer is my current preferred Pinpointer but I also us the Vibraprobe 570 from time to time as it is ever so slightly more sensitive to smaller targets (fraction of a gram targets). The Vibraprobe is designed to be used underwater if desired whereas the Pro-Pointer is water resistant only. For normal use, the smaller Garrett model is going to be preferred although some may find it slightly more expensive. It seems to handle a reasonable amount of abuse that would damage other pinpointers.

Cheers,

Marco

decisions decisions...oh..crude..what to do..