Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Picked up my new Pistol Probe from Detector Pro today

nightsout

I got the new Pistol Probe today from Gary at Detector Pro. I talked to him about what had been said by a few on the forum that it wouldn't work with an Explorer.He said that that was ridiculous. He hunts with an Explorer himself when land hunting and said if a guy did have an issue they could do a number of things to cure it.Noise cancel,adjust probe frequency,move coil away while in use...Anyway I put the batts in and did some testing amazing depth a full 5 inches on a dime. and 6 on a quarter.I've always had an X1 (6 years) on my Explorer but now I'm going in a different direction. My arm will feel better for it.
I should get out this weekend and I'll post the field results.
nightsout

I can't do the the photo op at this moment but it is of course at the site. Detectorpro.com I'll keep all informed on the real world usage
nightsout

I went the less expensive route and got a Garrett Pro-Pointer. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it seems to be well built, runs on only one 9-volt battery with up to 30 hours on the alkaline battery and you won't hurt it getting it wet. You can even rinse it off with soap and water when it gets dirty. Maybe all the others I can just toss them in the garbage as most are just crap anyway not counting my X-1 though.:clapping: I'm hoping to get out in the morning this Sunday. Drove past a place today and see they tore down an old house.:hot: HH.

Eddie

Erik in NJ said:

Here is what it looks like. Oops, sorry, I didn't see someone had already posted a pic of it already.

nightsout, you said the Pistol Probe gets 5" on a dime and 6" on a quarter. (Is it sensitive the full length of the shaft or just on the tip ??)

Eddie in Poulsbo, I wonder what the depth on coin sized objects is on the Garrett Pro-Pointer ?? (Same question for you, is it sensitive the full length of the shaft or just on the tip ??)

King, this will be interesting for you too, to compare also.

Treasure Products web site says the following below (under the "Questions" tab at the top of the page).

Q7. At what distance will the Vibra-Probe 570 detect a target?
A7. Detection depth on a coin sized target is up to 2"...
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/vibra/vibra_570.htm

Q9. At what distance will the Vibra-Tector 730TM detect a target?
A9. Detection depth on a coin sized target is up to 3"...
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/vibra/vibra_730.htm

Hope this helps.

I have only been out once with it and that plus the bench test tells me only at the tip.I'm just getting used to it but I do feel its quite a nice pinpointer.
I'll get back with more when I find out more.
nightsout

Bill Ladd did a pretty nice write up on it on the F-75 Forum. It does not ID however, but gets incredible depth.

digitrich said:
Bill Ladd did a pretty nice write up on it on the F-75 Forum. It does not ID however, but gets incredible depth.

I'll have to go there and read it.

digitrich said:

That was a good read in the F-75 classroom about the probe. Someone over there did bring up a good point. It looks like a pistol in its holster setup especially with it being all black. This will bring unwanted attention from concerned people or law enforcement. It would be prudent to make it a different color.

digitrich said:
or spray paint it.

That's the first thing that came to my mind too. I would just tape up the control area with the knobs so paint doesn't get in there.

I thought this was funny. I was watching a clip on an Old Minelab Sovereign and then I see where there guy even covers his probe,heehee. This is what it looks like. He uses a surgical glove to protect it.

SURE IT WOULD!---Just put that glove right over your digger blade--and presto--no more dirt on your blade!!----I kinda like to get my equip dirty--people think I'm finding stuff. :laugh:

I definitely think it would be prudent to mask off the controls and any speaker holes and spraypaint the case orange. Somebody could easily mistake that for a sidearm of some sort with it stuck in a holster.
Also, it will help you find the thing should you set it down somewhere. I lost at least one probe that way before I got the X-1.

For that matter, I had somebody mistake the explorer itself for a gun the other day. A couple cop cars showed up. They didn't explain verbatim what the person who called in had said, but it was something about a suspicious man, potentially with a gun. Fortunately the cop was cool and realized it was a false alarm immediately.

Chris/MA said:
I definitely think it would be prudent to mask off the controls and any speaker holes and spraypaint the case orange. Somebody could easily mistake that for a sidearm of some sort with it stuck in a holster.
Also, it will help you find the thing should you set it down somewhere. I lost at least one probe that way before I got the X-1.

For that matter, I had somebody mistake the explorer itself for a gun the other day. A couple cop cars showed up. They didn't explain verbatim what the person who called in had said, but it was something about a suspicious man, potentially with a gun. Fortunately the cop was cool and realized it was a false alarm immediately.

That doesn't surprise me. Most people have strayed so far from the basics of country life they couldn't tell a bullet from a suppository, much less a long black object and,"Oh my gosh.call the police, the man has a gun!"

I used the probe this weekend I had mixed results. The probe is so strong that if there is anything else in the hole or near by 5 or 6 inches it picked that up too_On the other side if the area is clean its very very good. Even before you dig from the surface it will pinpoint.So on only one trip my feelings are wait and see.There was no interference issues at all.And no one almost shot me or was scared of me any more than normal.
nightsout

Thanks nightout, good report. As I understand you, the Pistol Probe is only sensitive on the tip and not the full length of the shaft, is that right ??

(Maybe if too deep[a good problem to have] and picking up too many unwanted objects, is there a way to detune the sensitivity ?? But otherwise very, very good for clean areas[holes] as you said.)

<<<There was no interference issues at all.>>>That is great!
<<<Pinpoint from the surface.>>>WOW!

(I would like a report on the Garrett Pro-Pointer is someone has one ??)