Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Picked up another Beep and Dig

I talked with Rusty before sending the detector in, so he knew what model it was…also, it was the ground balance control that I was having trouble with.
When I got it back it worked fine, but he told me one of the coils failed while tuning or checking and they sent me a new coil along with mounting hardware.
He even enclosed a detailed hand written note….
I believe the ground balance pot on a fixed ground balanced model can be adjusted to actual ground contritions, but is not intended to be adjusted a lot.
I am not sure what is involved with tuning the coil, but I remember seeing that quite a few people were sending them in to be retuned… of course this was when the service was free too.
Well that makes sense then if you had GB pot problems and a coil issue. I have a Shadow X2 that I have changed coils on in the past but no longer do because like you said...trimpot is not intended to be adjusted a lot! One of my Shadow X2 7" coils is totally dead plus a 10 1/2" concentric Tesoro coil that's very chatty erratic. I'm not sure what is involved with tuning the coil either unless it involves opening the coil up and resetting windings within parameters??

I may be wrong as I’m not an electrical engineer but I would bet money there isn’t much if any difference in any coil regardless of brand so long as they are designed for the frequency the detector works on. All they are is a certain amount and gauge of cooper windings (done by machine) that creates a resistance measured in ohms. (My sis in law and buddy worked at a company replacing the windings on instruments for airplanes) There’s no way the detector can tell what’s connected. Coils are so most overpriced it’s almost criminal The aftermarket companies aren’t helping lower prices with competition as there prices are ridiculous too. Detector companies could probably buy them from a Chinese company for a few dollars each. (Not including multi frequency, Deus or the original xterra.)

I may be wrong as I’m not an electrical engineer but I would bet money there isn’t much if any difference in any coil regardless of brand so long as they are designed for the frequency the detector works on. All they are is a certain amount and gauge of cooper windings (done by machine) that creates a resistance measured in ohms. (My sis in law and buddy worked at a company replacing the windings on instruments for airplanes) There’s no way the detector can tell what’s connected. Coils are so most overpriced it’s almost criminal The aftermarket companies aren’t helping lower prices with competition as there prices are ridiculous too. Detector companies could probably buy them from a Chinese company for a few dollars each. (Not including multi frequency, Deus or the original xterra.)
I always wanted to try one of those three frequency coils produced by NEL that was for the Xterra 705 but just never did because Mine Lab said they did not approve of them, the Xterra 705 is my all time favorite detector, even still today it is my only complaint with the Xterra 705 was and still is that you have to change coils to switch frequencies, I was so hoping when Mine Lab brought out the Xterra pro that it would come out with the same three frequencies as the Xterra 705 but it did not so I moved away from purchasing one of the Xterra Pros