Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Our Thanksgiving- Part 2

Sunny

This year my Thanksgiving started off wonderfully, as our son, Nathan arrived home the 19th from Kosovo. We had not seen him since last May, and each time he comes home I can see so many changes in him. He is home for good now, or at least we hope so. He will be returning to VMI in January to begin his senior year. He will graduate in December hopefully. When he joined the Virginia National Guard, they assured him they would not interfere with his college. They lied,.... so much for assurance. He missed graduating with his class this past May, but at least he did make it home and now has a chance to finish his education. This is not so for so many of our soldiers. So needless to say, I was in a much better mood. I think he was glad to see me too, and was ready for some home made cooking.

[attachment 74055 Nathan-Home.jpg]

I had been cooking for the past two days, and then Thanksgiving, the thing I like best, is that the whole family starts coming over a few at a time. Here, Scott is making sure the deviled eggs are okay, as the brothers (Arkie and Li'l Brother) start picking on the little ones. Ali (my only granddaughter) decides she is going to get away from these two comedians.

[attachment 74058 The-brothers.jpg]

I think most of you read Johnboy's post about our apple orchard that our grandfather started for us. Well, first off, after everyone arrived, I asked for everyone's attention and read this special story to them. I sincerely do not think there was an eye without a tear in it when I finished. And by the way folks, John has been approached to see if he would give permission for this story to be published. So that is a true honor in itself. Congrats, brother! As he stated, our children are all grown now, and most are showing an interest in our days of years gone by. They all applauded him for his story, and love to question us now for knowlege that they, themselves want to know about. When John entered my door Thanksgiving morning, he brought with him a fine apple pie, and had the breast of a wild turkey to go along with all the food I had prepared, again, sharing some of his knowlege that now only lingers in our memories and hearts.

[attachment 74061 TG-Johns-Turkey-Note.jpg]

[attachment 74066 TG-Me-and-John.jpg]

For some reason, Tom's wife Carol, continues to put up with my baby brother. It was great having them both here too. They just became the proud grandparents of another grandson. He is named Elijah Garrett May, so this makes him pretty special to Tom and us, to have the Garrett name in there. Carol was to leave the following day for a week's visit, and Tom will get his chance later on.

[attachment 74068 TGTomandCarol.jpg]

I had talked to Mikie and Alice the previous night, and Mikie agreed to call on Thanksgiving and talk to Arkie. This was him on the deck taking Mikie's call. He keeps promising that he will acccompany me to Canada to meet Mikie and Alice in person soon. Thanks Mikie, for calling and surprising Johnboy this way. I think this was the first time you had ever talked in person, wasn't it? I really can't remember. I might have called him from your home last year when I was visiting. Still, it was a great surprise for him.

[attachment 74069 TG-John-and-Call-from-Mikie.jpg]

(to be continued.)

I was kinda hoping to surprise Arkie.. But you have call display and he knew even before I said anything. :) :)

I have talked to Arkie before; once, I think,.... You called home I talked to him at that time

You have a wonderful looking family and you are all so close. I am envious of that. My kids are scattered and we seldom get to see them all at once. We are hoping for Christmas this year.

Fair winds
Mikie

I am glad to see that Nathan made it home safely and will now finish his education. The pictures are great and really add to the story. I will be looking forward to the next part. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Of course I believe you are never too old to hug and kiss your mother. That's just the way I feel. I kissed my mother on the lips on the very day she left us, and my daughter's are the same way. If we instill nothing else in our children, I want to instill caring, loving, and family closeness!

This is my oldest, Christi!
[attachment 74070 TGMe andChristi.jpg]

My middle child, Staci!
[attachment 74071 TG-Me-and-Staci.jpg]

And my baby, Shannon! (who will be giving me my second granddaughter December 4th, Hannah Lynne)
[attachment 74072 TG-Me-and-Shannon.jpg]

After Johnboy gave thanks, we all got down to business! It was a great day, and a great time was had by all. I know my experience could be any of yours, and if so, then lucky us. I just have not posted much in a while, and wanted to introduce you to some of our family. I still have a few more, and maybe tomorrow I can get around to it.

Until then, thank you for sharing MY little piece of heaven here on earth, and learning just what makes me tick!

Thank God for friends like all of you. :)

Nate what you said. It's kind of like I could finally let out a relief of air when I saw him walk thru the door.

I just love photos. Who ever a picture is worth a thousand words really knew what they were talking about. Sure wish you would get serious and send me a good one of you and Deb together, maybe with your grandson. They are both so cute, it wouldn't even matter if you are ugly. They would make the picture great! :lol: Just kidding you, you know that. But I have been begging for a photo for how many years now? And you STILL do not trust me. I trust all of you, why else would I share my photos????? :)

kids together, you make up in friends. My what a great compliment! It's just because people love you and Alice so, because you have open hearts, and everyone feels comfortable around you! Goodness, when I was there I cannot count how many new friends I made. And it really surprised me my first visit, about how many people came by your house in a days time! I always thought........small town in Canada! Even though it is, I now feel as though I have several friends there, and not a one of them would turn me down if I was in need. Even if they didn't recall my name, all I would have to do is say "Mikie and Alice's friend". That wonderful!

Looking forward to being there again someday. :)

n/t

n/t

get to come back in the fall of next year! I really miss you all so very much! :cheekkiss: All in all, I think I had around 25-30 here. It was great, and I was feeling really good for a change! It was just wonderful! :)

Are you all going to be visiting Alabama anytime during the holidays. That is where you are from, isn't it? Or Carol? :confused:

i would have eaten out on the deck:biggrin:.since this time of year the skeeters are gone and the other pestering bugs.nice sun shiny day there,was overcast here.glad your son got to be there,did he go to the beer dump,i mean camp too:biggrin:.

Will you be showing a picture of the turkey? I think it would be great if you posted a part 3...very refreshing and enjoyable story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

days before, to the 30's and low 40's on Thanksgiving Day. We have had years where we have eaten on the deck, and it's glorious! But Arkansas weather is so unpredictable.

Yes, Nate did go the the camp, but only spent one night. That's the main reason I went, so i could spend some time with him. He likes to sleep more than he likes to stay awake. Now if a deer tapped him on the shoulder and told him to wake up, he MIGHT try and get it. I think the boys just go to appease Scott. Les is too in to girls, and Nate is still young to. Les' first deer was a pretty massive eight point two years ago, so he thinks it's easy. Nate is not very out doorsy! He likes to fish, but only if they bite. Likes to hunt, but preferably between noon and five. :lol: doesn't work out too good that way! :)

don't you post some photos. I know you had a large gathering too, it it's like is has been in the past! :) And we are all always happiest when we can hang around together and visit. Life is too short! :)

family sharing a meal all together! I usually have a big family/friends "get together" on Christmas eve.,and on the 4th of July! Thanksgiving, is at Wendy's, my youngest daughter's house, on a smaller scale,but we enjoy it.

n/t

The smile, the faces.... With your first two daughters, it seems as though we are looking at sisters. The only reason Shannon is the 'odd man out' is the hair colour. But every other feature is you all over.

But isn't it a little early to have the Christmas tree up?? :) :) :)

Wonderful family get together Sunny. Well done.

fair winds

Mikie

n/t

n/t