Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Our first detecting trip away from home. PART ONE, TWO AND THREE:thumbup:

Thanks for all the supportive comments everyone.

Part three.

When we go camping with the trailer, we take all the necessities for our survival and comfort. This includes a large fridge/freezer which stays in the 4 x 4 and a Porta-potti, which is transported in it's own purpose-built cupboard in the trailer. We could just take a shovel and dig a latrine behind some bushes but our daughter, Kellie, would have trouble with that system, as she doesn't have good balance. The last thing I need is to have to clean up someone who has 'fallen in' a toilet, when water is more precious than gold. While in the bush, we put up an ensuite type of tent with two rooms/cubicles, one room is for the shower the other is for the toilet.

Now, after eight days in the bush, camping somewhere where we didn't have to measure our water usage was high up on my list of priorities . I couldn't wait to have my first unrestricted hot shower. Shortly before dusk, Kellie and I eagerly gathered our toiletries and clean clothes, before heading for the amenities block. There were two showers and two toilets for each gender in the block, but as it was getting dark and there were no light bulbs in the ladies shower cubicles, we decided to use one of the showers in the male section. There weren't any other people around, so we figured what they didn't know wouldn't hurt them.

I wasn't quite brave or blase enough to use the men's toilet though, so I went around to the ladies before my shower. As I walked into the dimly lit room, I was overwhelmed by ten million flying bugs, circling the bulb in the ceiling. I quickly sat down and held my breath, as I was afraid of inhaling a meal of them through my nose. When I pressed the button on the cistern on the back wall, to flush the bowl, I was amazed to see two green legs drop from under the rim of the toilet bowl. For the next thirty seconds I was enthralled to watch a largish, pretty green, tree frog, fight with all his might not to be flushed into the toilet bowl. I couldn't help but marvel at Mother nature at it's best. This country was in the grip of one the worst droughts in our short, known history and these creatures had found both a source of food and water, provided for them by man.

We spent the next two days in quiet harmony with our neighbours and enjoying the beautiful scenery, before heading for home, without our first nugget.

Most of our trips now are prospecting, rather than holiday, oriented, so Ron plans which roads we follow and how much time it should take. As we usually stick to a schedule and we had run out of time to travel the long distances required to get us to the next location, we reluctantly headed home.

This first big trip taught me that:-

When we see any type of camping site, we should park a child, dog or oneself on it, a.s.a.p.

Always carry ear-plugs, flying goggles, oxygen masks and shower cap to be worn as mix and match accessories if/when needed.

We should not camp in public camping grounds on Fridays -- or any other day if it can be avoided!

A large size dog, on a leash and long rope, can capsize a campsite in under five seconds if a small unleashed dog trots by.

I know the bugs in the outhoust thing. We had a outhouse when I was growing up and can still remember getting out first inside flusher. What joy :D

We had rats in the outhouse and that was no way to relax and do your business. We could hear them scurring around down there and it was not good. My parents would use poison and gas them out with the cars exhaust but it rarely lasted because the neighbors would not do theirs and we would just get theirs.

I used to love to camp but most of mine has been in the Canadian bush with absolutely NO neighbors. Pick a spot and drive a tent peg! Most were only reached by bush plane though.

Good to have you visit and stick around. Sunny can not handle us. :rofl:

gold on your first try, you DID learn many good things for your next endeavor. Sounds to me like you and your family have now taken everything into consideration, and when you travel, you have the best. That's great. I can't wait to hear more of your adventures! Also, if the need arises, I will go into a man's restroom/shower any time..........that is when I fully know it is empty. Haven't quite learned how to use those urinals very gracefully yet though! :lol:

If this story was a prelude of things to come, then I'm hoping that you hang out with us for quite some time. You truly are one terrific writer ! Heading over to your latest post. :thumbup: