Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Our first detecting trip away from home. PART ONE, TWO AND THREE:thumbup:

AuzeeSheila

This is a tale about our first BIG trip away on a nugget hunt. After packing and repacking our Camper Trailer for two weeks we finally departed home at 5 am and travelled all day to a town in central Queensland. About 3 pm, we pulled into the home of the owner of the property we had arranged to camp and detect on. After an old fashioned afternoon tea we left about an hour later and made our way with the help of a GPS to the closest site to where we wanted to explore. It was an idyllic camping spot with close cropped, level ground that had every thing a camper could ask for. There were shade trees to keep us cool, lots of dead timber for campfires and that most rare thing of all these days . . . peace and quiet!

I should mention that it got a bit crowded at times, usually around sundup/down, when a rather large herd of cattle would meander through on it's way to or from the creek we were camped alongside. There was also a family of horses who galloped through periodically. We were warned of these visits by our step-dog, who thought it was his duty to warn them off each and every time they arrived. This involved strident barking from about ten feet in front of the nearest animals, which caused them to stop and stare at him. He would turn his back and they would then follow him back into camp. He would trot back and sit in front of one of us expecting a reward for a job well done, while a sea of bovine faces watched our every move, from tent peg distance, for about five minutes. It seems these creatures were invisible to the dog during this time.

We stayed there for a week and, unfortunately, no nuggets were found at this site. On the eighth day we packed up and decided to camp at a public camping area next to a dam. This place was quite beautiful and, after paying $5 per person for three nights at the office, we went for a drive around the camping area to find the 'right' spot for our needs. There were quite a few caravans already set up and some tents in a specified area. This park had hot showers, septic toilets and unrestricted water on tap--although it was suggested that the water be boiled before drinking.

We were sitting in the 4wd at the side of the track, discussing where we ought to set up camp when suddenly, as if by some hidden signal, one vehicle after another streamed into the camping area and all the best possible spots (for us) were taken. There was one site left and we quickly backed the camper into it and started unpacking. This site was so close to the dirt track, we had one of our tent rope pegs actually on the edge of the track. Although we had a nice view of the lake from our camper, we also got mouths full of dust every time a car travelled past our door.

By 2 pm we were settling down to an afternoon siesta, when a ute pulled up on the other side of the track with a screech of tyres. Well, it would have been a screech on bitumen, but on dirt it was a cloud of dust. Out spilled two young blokes, who proceeded to set up an old generator that was then umbilically attached to a 'boom-box.' Once started, they proceeded to give the whole park a headache with the noise that the young folk call music these days. If we hadn't been so tired, we would have packed up and left right then. Apparently, this was a regular thing for the youth of the nearby town on the weekends and it was just our bad luck to arrive on Friday. All the other campers who arrived that day were miners from the district and they also came every weekend with their speed boats to water ski all day long. In fact, the mining company they worked for sponsored some of the facilities at the park.

One of the park rules were that all dogs had to be on a leash at all times. Our poor dog, Cooper, didn't understand this at all. After spending a week in the bush he thought he owned the world. Being novices at this, we were rather surprised when a very small lap-dog type of canine, without a leash, sauntered past and our dog went nuts at the end of his rather long tether. We didn't realise at the time that a dog on a leash can break a camp in five seconds flat when another dog passes by!

I will continue this saga soon as it is now 11:30 pm here, that is, if I'm not boring you all to death.

Is that the equivalent of our SUV?.

Now if it had been me, I would have taken the genny and tossed it in the lake.. But since I am safely 10,000 miles away, I can say that!! :D:

keep it coming

Fair winds

Mikie

our campgrounds generally stop the noise and generators at 11 or so.

What town was this campground near. I like to look them up using Google Earth and get a feeling for the lay of the land.

Metal detecting is not about the finding, although that is nice but it is for the hunt for many of us. I would have prefered the cows butts to the buttheads with the boom box!:clap: I figure there is little difference for a person of my age.

Thank you for returning to our little part of the web. We like people here and there is never a mean word. Unless Orlando picking on Willy counts:blink:

I always enjoy gold hunting or treasure hunting stories. Do you folks ever cross paths with Tiger Snakes while looking for gold? I will be looking forward to the next part. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

how much we are the same. People always stress the differences but what the heck, we were just born in different places. We all have pretty much the same needs and desires.

Some of the phrases she uses are a bit different and I have to figure out what they mean but that is part of the interest for me. Like what is a step-dog? I figured out the bitumen, blacktop and the UTE must be a Utility vehicle, I think. We learned to figure out what Sunny was saying so I am sure we can figure out Aussie. Heck, we figured out Sunny, we should be able to figure out Chinese!

I would like to know the names of the town and rivers and such though. It is wonderful using Google Earth and being able to actually SEE the places! Of course Mikie can not but I will post the pictures of the terrain for him:rofl:

I can't wait for ................................."the rest of the story". :clap:

i understand the lingo fairly well. If i may i will translate for this crowd:biggrin:
To begin, it is possible but unlikely that the lady's name is "Sheila" as that is the Aussie equivalent of whatever slang we may use for female here. "step dog" i think means the same as porch dog or whatever here. "Caravan" is holiday trailer or motorhome, camper etc. "ute"= utility vehicle eg SUV.
I have family in Australia and friends here that have come from there.
Thank you AuzeeSheila for the beginning of an adventure, waiting for more:clapping:
Wayne

It's nice to have an interpreter amongst us. I had it figured out except, Sheila.

Sounds like you guys will get a lot of enjoyment out of your 4x4 and camper and detector. I'd sure like to be nugget hunting out there. Those surprise guest on the weekends can ruin a nice camping weekend. Retired I find I enjoy it more on the weekdays, and leave it for the folks that don't have any other time to go. I'm beyond the enjoyment of a good boom box weekend.....My kids would still like it.
Do they normally find nuggets in that area? I read alot of Minelab post and see them finding them in your country with good regularity.
Always wondered about a quad and a big loop out front so you could cover a lot of ground and if it would work or at least in flat country.

Thanks for post. Keep us updated on your gold quest.

George-CT

G'day mates, I'm ba.a.ck!

First some explanations I didn't make in case you understood some of our vernacular:-

Our 'ute' is a sedan sized 'pick-up' truck. You can see what I mean at the site below, just copy & past in Google, or the words 'Holden Ute,' whichever is easiest. http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/vehicleentry?vehicleid=15

Our 'step' dog is a Staffordshire terrier, or Staffy for short, who belongs to our 2nd born son. As he (our son) lives in rented accommodation where pets are not allowed, we have been his step-owners/foster parents? for about six years. As soon as he finds a house with a fenced yard, we will lose the dog.

We never see snakes, which doesn't mean they aren't around us. If you make a lot of noise they usually slither off in the opposite direction. Ron wears leather chaps up to his knees when he detects though.

It would be easier for you all to visit this site, where you can see what we live in when we go far off the beaten track in the hunt for the 'precious.' :- http://www.australianoffroadcampers.com.au/main.php?page=models-xr

The area we were in Royal, was Clermont, in central Queensland, and the Dam was the Theresa Creek Dam. Googling will get you there.

When I was born, in England, my mother wanted to call me Colleen, Molly or Sheila. Each one is a generic name for girl's in Ireland, England and Australia, respectively. As my parents had no intention of migrating to Oz when I was born, I was given the name of Sheila. Three years later they decided to re-locate here and I have been an Aussie Sheila, in more than one way, ever since.

Feel free to ask questions everyone, as you won't know if you don't ask.

Are you ready for the next installment? We . . .ll let's see, where was I? Oh . . .yes about here . . . .

As the day wore on, more cars arrived with even more teenagers, some with cartons of beer, and others with cans of 'mixed' drinks. As the generator was on our side of a large rock between us and where the teenagers camped, we went to bed early with our fingers in our ears. Thankfully, because we were so tired, we sank into oblivion fairly quickly. I've often wondered if I could sleep through an earthquake, now I know.

It was 3 am, and all was quiet. Until a low growl was heard from across the track. The growls gradually increased in volume, yet didn't escalate into barking. Something was being warned away from another's territory. Then again, maybe not. Maybe someone was being warned that unless a certain little dog was allowed out of a certain tent, the little dog was going to do his 'business' inside the aforesaid tent.

Suddenly, the whole park was shocked awake by a loud voice yelling, 'Shut ya yap, ya little %$#@*, or I'll shut ya up fa good.' Peace reigned for a whole two minutes, and then the growl started again. When the owner of the loud voice threatened the dog once more, I'm sure every person in the park hoped, as I did, that the dog kept quiet. No . . . not to be, we all suffered through it one more time. At the end of the third session, a deep voice was heard to say, "Why don't you shut your yap so that we all can get some sleep." I stopped breathing until I heard two voices speaking very quietly and then the zip of a tent being opened. Expecting all hell to break loose on someone, I fell asleep waiting in the long, deep silence that followed.

When I woke up at 7 am, all was quiet, so I quietly put the kettle on and tried to figure out what had happened. It wasn't until later in the day that I was told by another camper that, basically, the boys across the track had been very drunk the night before and the youngest, who owned the dog, had caused the ruckus. After taking his dog for a walk, all was quiet again. As I sipped on my coffee and was serenaded by a symphony of snores from the other side of the track, I mused on how some lessons could be taught this day. I didn't raise four teenagers without learning a thing or two.

I waited until most of the other campers in the park were awake, and while cooking our breakfast, I turned on my MP3 player for which had brought speakers, as well as headphones. I like the 'golden oldies' style of music but felt that might be enjoyed by our rude young neighbours, so I found some good old opera. Actually, it was Nessun Dorma as it's never been heard before, with a bit of a jazz twist. As I knew the melody fairly well, I sang along for a while. I have been told that I have an un-educated voice that would shock a cockatoo into silence, so I wasn't too surprised when, within the hour, our noisy neighbours had packed up and gone home.

Aaaah, peace at last. The older campers smiled and stopped for a chat the next day, as they went past our camp, on their way to the ablution block. Although the younger camping miners and their families gave me funny looks as they passed by for the next two days, it was worth it!

To be continued.

n/t

been in the same situation before, and fighting fire with fire is usually the best way! I am a very light sleeper to begin with, and when things like this happen, it can cause for a miserable night! I can't wait to read further as you go on, cause I would like to know if you found any gold! That would just be an ultimate experience!!! :)

a vehicle like this in the states a few years ago. Kind of like a mini El Camino. You guys can relate to that better! :lol: