Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Opinions sought on right tool for the job.

Brainwasher

After figuring out there is a seach capability on this forum, I realized my last post was probably already beaten to death in the past, so here is an opinion question that will help me decide whether to purchase a Minelab SE or Fisher F75. There are no wrong answers, just would like to get an idea of what the majority thinks and why.
IF YOU WERE GIVEN PERMISSION TO METAL DETECT FOR JUST ONE DAY FROM 6:00 AM TO 9:00 PM ON A HEAVILY HUNTED CIVIL WAR BATTLEFIELD AREA, WOULD YOU USE THE MINELAB SE OR THE FISHER F75? (The area would be too large to cover in that time with either detector and consists of woods and open fields...remember, this is a one time shot). BTW, this is a hypothetical situation...no I didn't get permission to hunt Gettyburg, Vickburg or anywhere else. Just trying to pick the best detector from two very good choices. Thanks for your help.

n/t

F75

That is not to say that the SE is not a good machine but the F75 work's much faster, it is much lighter, the battery life is WAY longer (40 hours on 4 AA batteries), and it has a good setting for plowed fields. It misses nothing, in my experience. It is a deep machine too.

I have both and I would not hesitate to choose the F75. I have had the F75 for about a month longer than the SE but I used a T2 for over a year before getting the F75 and they are similar.

I know a lot of folks love the SE but it take's longer to learn. The F75 take's some getting used to but it is much closer to being a turn on and go machine.

I don't ever see a time when, in your given scenario, I when I would choose the SE over the F75. the F75 is simply a better choice for the hunt you described.

Julien

On the left you have the small fork for salad, the large fork for the main meal, the large spoon for your soup. On the right, you have the Minelab for your just desserts :laugh:

John, thank for your post, you are absolutely correct. I should also be considering the rest of my hunts. If you would (and everyone else reading this too) please describe some scenarios that the Minelab SE would be the tool of choice over the F75. I can only afford one detector right now and I don't want to mess this up. Thanks, Jeff

Either machine is good. The real question is how well you know the machine. If it were me, I'd take my Fisher CZ3D and the Ratphones that I've been running for 4 years. I know that machine and the headphones inside and out... know it's tones and the iffy signals that are worth digging. I would never want a new machine or a machine I did not know well for a "one time only" hunt. Hell, in theory, some guy with a Garrett Ace and lots of experience with it could outhunt someone on their first day out with any new machine.

That being said, I am sold that the Explorer with the stock DD coil is one deep machine and the IDs at depth are the most accurate I've seen.

[size=medium]Nick, thanks for the post. I'm currently using a Tesoro Silver Sabre. I got in in 1999 and it has been great. Pulled a lot of coins and bullets with it, some at depth of about ten inches. I also have a Whites MXT I have been using for the past few years. The meter is great, but rarely pull anything at more than six inches. I pulled a silver quarter at seven inches once, but it had a broken trash signal and almost didn't dig it. I like having the meter so I use it more than the Tesoro, but honestly, I make a lot more better finds with the Tesoro because I'm forced to dig everything and getting more depth. I would like to upgrade and get depth and a meter at the same time.[/size]

I guess you could do what I did and for now I got most situations covered.
The 15" WOT will cover some ground and the other coils will help in most other hunting adventures.
[attachment 71751 Explorercoils.JPG]

If you want an accurate meter at depth over 7-8" I'm completely sold that the Explorer is the machine you want. Any machine can give you depth, really. Crank it up, but what kind of info does it give you? If you get depth, but everything sounds like crap what good is it? Raw depth without accurate target id is useless to me. It's rare when I have a full day to dedicate to digging all the non-ferrous signals in a place. I get deep stuff on the CZ, but I'm also digging iffy signals to get a silver dime at 7-8" - on the Explorer, they ring in loud and clear and right where they're supposed to. You can pretty much call out "silver" before you dig.

Of course relying on the meter is a crutch, as they say, a shovel is the best discriminator. But with limited time to hunt, if I can cherry pick a bit by not digging everything, I will.

The F75 is still relatively new, I think the Explorer has a proven track record. People who are serious about finding old and deep stuff in worked out areas all seem to eventually buy an Explorer. Seeing someone pull shield nickels and a seated dime out of one of my worked out old parks was proof enough to me that the machine definitely had an edge.

Another thing to consider is the range of accessories - many coils and the Sunray probe available for the Explorer. And if budget is an issue, I would not hesitate to buy a used Explorer II and save a few hundred dollars.

IF the scenario is in fact a ONE DAY HUNT then I would chose the F75 simply because I could cover MUCH more ground with it and I feel it has equal depth.
I've hunted for years with the Explorer, yes I've also hunted with ALL of the latest and greatest detectors that are constantly introduced along the way but will ALWAY'S keep the Explorer as my main detector of choice.
No other detector I've used has shown the ability to cut through the iron and find the goodies like an Explorer has proven it to me time & time again.
Don't get the wrong impression here either, the F75 is a killer machine in it's own right ... and it's pretty good cutting through the iron too but the Explorer still reigns KING and has so many options of coils available that it's unlikely to be dethroned anytime soon.
One other thing to consider, Minelab takes very good care of their customers and when or if you need that type of support ... how important is it to you ?
Good Hunting
Mike

If you have a lot of money, that's great to be able to buy new. But there are plenty of great used machines out there. Use common sense when buying and buy from a dealer or someone with history on one of the online forums. If you have $600 to spend and not the $1200, get yourself a nice used machine and have fun. Even IF you have to send it in for service, the bill will probably be $200 or less, so you still have $400 in your pocket. Do you recommend only buying new cars as well? Wish I could afford to only buy new detectors and new cars!

you seem to be missing the ML 7.5 and the most important sunray X-1 probe......... oops did we forget the most important ones? :stars: