Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Only one word for the V3i

wvrick

That is Amazing! I got the unit Friday and got it out this morning for a short test drive. the unit did really good and I dug two deep targets, both were "iffies" but the VDI showed 12 inches and possible copper penny's, both were 12" and copper caps same size as penny's. The high humidity soon was too much to keep things fun so we called it quits, after I got home a little later I got the V3i out and sit back with it in my cool AC living room and started exploring the menu. I found it pretty easy to get around in and lots of features that I really like, this thing can do a lot more than any detector I've had my hands on before. I really enjoyed running thru the "Expert Menu", I believe almost everything can be changed here down to the custom colors on the display. I'm looking forward to learning my new machine even owning other Whites detectors I know every model has its learning curve and this one has a lot. That being said, most things look pretty easy to move around in but I've had years of using and building home and business/mobile computers. If I'd never hand any time on a computer this machine is right at home running the factory programs. As a matter of fact the 12" copper caps were detected using the factory "Coin & Jewelry" program. I think you could run this unit in nothing more than the "stock" programs and never feel like you were missing anything. But that just my opinion, this machine does so much it makes you wonder what else could it have. Thanks Whites for a Super Fine Detector!

Happy Hunting!
Rick :thumbup:

It would be cool if you could hook it up to your computer change programs print them out send them to others.

It has been discussed and Carl has said it won't happen. Without writing a long post if interested use the search feature. I personally don't see the need. Guys who know their machines can complete an entire program in minutes. I would have no use for it. Again we all entitled to have our opinions. ROB

It would be cool to see it on a computer screen all at once in color but I know it won't happen and I don't expect for it to happen..just think it would be cool to have that option for us computer geeks.

I just bought the V3i yesterday. Anyone have experience with the 12x10 Butterfly S.E.F. coil on the V3i? Can this coil be used for beach hunting? What have you noticed are the advantages and dis-advantages of this coil? Does this coil require different settings to work at it's peak? And finally, are there any third party programs for the V3i anywhere on the net that I might look at?

Welcome to the forum and you might want to read some of the past posts, a lot of the questions have already been answered. I use the 10X12 SEF but it is not V rated which means you can not raise the RX much over 10. The concentric coils seem to work best on the salt water beaches if you have one. No extra changes are needed to run the 10X12 but I would suggest just using the stock coil until you get familiar with the V. There really is no such thing as a third party program, everyone just adjusts the programs that come with the V to best serve their needs. All of the programs that come with the V are really good ones and I suggest using them while learning your new detector.

Looking for programs is not the answer. Knowing what and why to change a setting to fit your site is what's important. Changes should be made to affect an outcome in the detectors performance. Know the purpose for making a setting change and you will see positive results. ROB

Rob (IL) said:
Looking for programs is not the answer. Knowing what and why to change a setting to fit your site is what's important. Changes should be made to affect an outcome in the detectors performance. Know the purpose for making a setting change and you will see positive results. ROB

This is exactly where I'm at now with my V3i. Something that really really helped me (that I read here) was to drop your sensitivity down to where you can barely pick up the coin. I did that and then went through the filters and each time I also played with the recovery. (There is no place to GB in my yard, but I still got to know the machine.) I'm slowly starting to see how the settings interact with each other. Don't ask me how as it's a slow process but at the end I had that detector humming. I can't wait for the 6X10 coil as then things will get MUCH easier in iron.

For me it isn't about finding a program from another user that will work (though that helps to get me going and to better learn the machine). It's about knowing how to program the machine (to an extent anyway) as that is really a big part of the fun for me. I can use it as a turn and go detector but I enjoy playing with the settings... sort of like an experiment. I've found the detector is actually forgiving and not as picky as I first thought (but I have low mineralization). I often can get a good signal with a variety of filters and know the optimal operating range of the recovery delay FOR the coins I'm hunting. If the coins get larger then I can raise the recovery delay. It's a fun process.

Hey, thanks you guys. I was planning on doing an extensive air and ground test of both coils without modifying any of the programs. After hearing what you all are saying, I think I will modify parameters and note the changes that take place. That way I can learn how each parameter effects my machine's performance. I will provide my results later on so that it might help others with the same set up as me. I live in Florida so soil conditions here will cause a slight skew in results. Looking forward to learning what some of you guys already know. !!

Spectra V3i, standard 10" DD, and 10x12 Butterfly S.E.F.

Two points:

1. A USB or wireless interface to a computer would be a welcome option. While the V3i screen and interface is very nice and well thought out I would love to save custom programs, and quickly upload and download to the unit. But I am also a techie and make my living with computer tech. So naturally I am always on the side of more tech and bells and whistles. To each his own I guess, but a PC interface was the first thing about the E-Trac that appealed to me and almost convinced me to buy it - until I started making more serious comparisons and I bought the V3i. I have no regrets...... the V3 and I will be friends for quite some time to come and I think it is likely I wear it out before I put it down.

2. I bought my V3 with 3 coils, but I keep coming back to the stock 10DD. I have made best finds with it and see little reason to change for now. That is not to say that the other coils were not useful - they were! I have just learned to adapt with the 10 DD where I can get results with it when I work on better technique. I swing much more with the smaller coils than I do with the 10 DD and what it tells me seems to be more consistent. But this is only my personal opinion. The end of the month I am going to the East Coast and I will be taking the 10 DD and 5.3 with me. I will know more then when it comes to the effectiveness of the 5.3, at this time it has been just OK in Southern Cal soil. Oh, and I have used each on the beach and I prefer the coverage of the 10 DD but agree a larger concentric would be the hot ticket on the beach. Did I mention the balance of the V3i kicks some butt? I can swing it for hours and often do 4 to 5 times a week.

The Shark

I agree that a PC interface would be a very welcome feature. It seems to me it would be simple to make a USB dongle that would emulate the V3 wireless program upload/download function. Make the PC device look to the V3 just like it was another V3 and then write a bit of code to transfer/save/edit programs. Most of the functionality already exists in the V3 to do just exactly that and since it is written in C it should be fairly easy to port the code to the PC. I would dearly love to be able to see the whole program on the screen at once. Those who haven't been using the V3 for a long time and don't have the menus fully memorized would benefit greatly by being able to see and reference all of the program settings at once on the same screen. Having it on the PC would greatly ease the ability to visualize and compare the settings and make changes as well as being an excellent way to back up any programs you create. It would also make it significantly easier to share programs via email.

Of course, I work in IT and tend to be PC oriented and get excited by stuff like this.....

Believe it or not there just wasn't enough of a market. It was much like the V3's ability to transfer information wireless between detectors. I never used it and neither did the guys I hunted with. It was included in the V and that was OK, but I wouldn't pay for it if it was an optional feature.

The dongle was discussed so long ago that I can't even remember the final reason it was dropped. People believing it would we used for upgrades was a total rumor started on the forums. Whites never stated this. My personal feeling is I wouldn't pay for it and I don't believe enough people would to make it profitable. If it's only function was to trade programs it would just be a costly crutch or a nice toy.

If it doesn't improve performance, I don't need it. I can't find the post but the dongle is dead for the V.

I know I have used every custom feature on the V3i. Custom colors, screens, tones, excludes, custom icons, icon color ranges, fade rates, custom menus, consistency, custom live controls, programs, base threshold, on and on. The majority of the users won't ever use most of these or even know some of them exist. Why, my guess is they are just not interested in them. Have you found any of the Easter eggs? Not everyone is geek. I guess I am.

ROB

ps People being able to copy programs electronically or manually leads many people to use this as a crutch. They never learn to make a program themselves. Worse, they end up using programs that are wrong for their part of the country. Many people are using programs designed for Florida, WRONG!!

Regarding features, I think having the V3i up-datable via the net would be a really nice feature. Only one detector I know of does this via USB, so it is doable. (And the releases on that detector have been meaningful.) It's a really nice and simple way to implement changes in this manner. Regular updates could be free and major upgrades could be per choice.

If the company was worried about piracy (e.g. - Chines copies), I think they could just hard code the basic program into the chip (somewhat similar to what they do now) and just release updates via the web. Now, maybe there really isn't a feature we need as this detector is so complete, but consider this: The V3i appears to go deep based on it's abilities and not power. Well, when White's discovers a way to improve upon that, or discrimination, or a "smart correlate" or even automatic settings adjustment (no user understanding of settings needed) they could just make a release, instead of incorporating that into a new detector. The only reason to send it in would be to upgrade processors. But I guess in a few years they will have a 1.5 pound version and all this won't be necessary. Heck, they will probably just use a smart phone as the control center and you would just buy the coils and frame! It's fun to think about though.

An emulator is an interesting idea. I've never used a Minelab so I don't really know how they do this but to practice setting changes and monitoring "virtual" effects, it could be a great learning tool. And yes, coming from an IT background, this does not see so difficult considering the software is in C++. That should be really easy to port. A nice selling feature, especially for those who like to play around, which the V3i seems to attract.

The emulator you speak of was not done by Minelab. It was done by a French detectorist. You know what he gets for his effort? Just the satisfaction.

"I think having the V3i up-datable via the net would be a really nice feature. Only one detector I know of does this via USB, so it is doable." Which detector does the upgrade? (upgrades, not programs). The V would need Hardware changes to handle upgrades by USB.

"The V3i appears to go deep based on it's abilities and not power." The V Is a VLF IB detector. There is only so much that can be gained by increasing power. The V has as much power as other detectors and more with TX boost. Rx Gain is how much you amplify the input signal. If you amplify it too much, the ground is too strong or the EMI too high, it will swamp the internal circuitry. The rule of thumb is that, to gain another inch of depth the gain must be doubled.

Company's are in business to make a profit. Could they built a dongle, yes. Do they have the ability, yes. Would it show a profit????

Now I am not being a wise guy, but if it is not that difficult I think it would be a good project for you IT guys, like our French friends emulator. By the way I do have a Minelab and have used the emulator. Is it worth it NO. For each new target you need to build a file. Are there enough files that have been made, NO. It's much easier to just wave a target in front of the coil to get the same results.. It's a nice toy and nothing more.

OK we have had our fun. They have said they aren't making one for the V and they also have stated the V will not have a new coil either. What will happen with a NEW detector is another story.

I said "up-datable" and I was talking about the XP Deus. I haven't used one but I am pretty familiar with them because I was down to a Deus or V3i! Anyway, the Deus allows the user to download updates, generally with new features (and programs). It's a nice idea and the users really like it. But of course there are always questions regarding which version is better,etc. The nice thing is you can downgrage just as you can upgrade if you choose - though few do. I do realize the V3i would need to be hardware upgraded to have this feature, so in a sense I'm talking more about just the possibility of it.

The thing is, it's a pretty simple thing to do. Lots of electronic devices allow updates via the internet. There is no reason why any manufacturer can't do the same on a metal detector. For example, wouldn't it be useful if the Stereo Mixed mode could have R+L volume controls so we could run the AM side quieter? (Quite a few people would be happy and it wouldn't complicate things.) Well, that would be super simple to add as an update. I'll just use my Nautilus wired headphones though. Overall, the V3i is enough for me though, I mean I'll be learning this detector for a long time. But we can't know the possibilities until we have the means to try...

This is beyond a cost issue as I think that is negligible. This is in everyones best interests. It would be cheap - if I can update my $50 digital recorder, my $100 camera, etc. I should be able to update my $1600 metal detector. (And this is nothing against Whites as only one company I know of does this and it's on an expensive detector too.) So, if a company can still make a profit having this feature on a $50 digital recorder, then I'm more than sure we can do it on all newer detectors. It's just not a big deal, it just appears as such cause it isn't a part of the industry now. Is it useful? In certain situations it sure would be and not just to the user.

Opinion noted. ROB

Rob (IL) said:
Believe it or not there just wasn't enough of a market. It was much like the V3's ability to transfer information wireless between detectors. I never used it and neither did the guys I hunted with. It was included in the V and that was OK, but I wouldn't pay for it if it was an optional feature.

The dongle was discussed so long ago that I can't even remember the final reason it was dropped. People believing it would we used for upgrades was a total rumor started on the forums. Whites never stated this. My personal feeling is I wouldn't pay for it and I don't believe enough people would to make it profitable. If it's only function was to trade programs it would just be a costly crutch or a nice toy.

If it doesn't improve performance, I don't need it. I can't find the post but the dongle is dead for the V.

I know I have used every custom feature on the V3i. Custom colors, screens, tones, excludes, custom icons, icon color ranges, fade rates, custom menus, consistency, custom live controls, programs, base threshold, on and on. The majority of the users won't ever use most of these or even know some of them exist. Why, my guess is they are just not interested in them. Have you found any of the Easter eggs? Not everyone is geek. I guess I am.

ROB

ps People being able to copy programs electronically or manually leads many people to use this as a crutch. They never learn to make a program themselves. Worse, they end up using programs that are wrong for their part of the country. Many people are using programs designed for Florida, WRONG!!

Dag! No one called your kid ugly Rob. Why so extreme? I had no idea this would create a reaction or I would have kept my 2 cents to myself. :sadwalk:

Customer feedback is always a good source of development ideas for any product and more so in technology. You can only do so much to a toilet paper holder, but the sky is the limit when it comes to a device as advanced as the V3 detector. I am willing to make a major wager that the VX3 owes a great deal of it's build features to customer demand.

You are spot on with your assertion that these suggestions would require re-work or new entirely models. In my case the conversation was more conceptual than actual hardware. But I do not agree that it would useless or not useful adding a PC user interface to a future model. Not to mention simple and reasonably cheap. That is not some form of heresy or insult to the detecting community, it is a natural technological progression. I am sure there are old-timers out there that thought eliminating vacuum tubes, knobs, and analog meters was all bad mojo for detectors and it was a sign of laziness on the part of weak minded users. I think the jury has spoken on that one.......

We may disagree somewhat on this one, but you remain a V3 God IMHO and I hope you do not take this as anything but a differing opinion and that is all it was intended as in the first place. Isn't social dialog fun? :yikes:

Easter Eggs? No, wish I had but I guess I am not that kind of geek anymore, but I have been in the past and I do miss that part of my life so I truly get it. And I get your passion and I like it. :clapping:

The Shark

Rob, you didn't use it, but how many V3 users were you in contact with? How many might have benefitted from your knowledge if you had a good program and they could compare it step by step with the factory program to see what changes you had made that improved the V3 for your locale? Remember that it took a while for the Vision to increase in popularity (and become the V3i) to the point you are likely to see three or four guys using them at the beach on any given weekend. While the exchange of programs might be a crutch to you, it might have helped some to walk. As to whether I would welcome it now - I really don't know. I do occasionally use both analyze screens and not sure I would like to give either one up to get back to the program exchange feature. Probably not. But the ability to make software upgrades via a dongle? Why not? At least save cost of shipping back to Whites......???

For those of us who have not had the fortune to have spent a lot of time with the V and do not have enough free time to be able to memorize the menu system in great detail anytime soon it would be extremely helpful to be able to see all the program settings on the computer screen at one time and be able to compare two programs side by side to see what the differences are and how they may interact. I spend a lot of time on a computer and it would be a great benefit to be able to pull up the program and examine/tweak it whenever I came up with an idea and didn't have the V with me. Metal detecting is a hobby for me and I still have to spend the bulk of my time making a living to support it. It would be a tremendous benefit to be able to see the information laid out in front of me in a complete and easy to reference format. To expect me to have to completely memorize the menu structure and recall all settings off the top of my head is unreasonable at best and a turn off at the least. I am interested in this hobby and would like to be able to make full use of the expensive piece of hardware I purchased. ANYTHING that will make it easier for me to learn and understand it in the limited time I have available to spend on it with my son would be greatly appreciated. I really don't think it is too much to ask for White's to make a simple USB dongle to interface with the wireless transfer function of the V. That would require no modifications to the V itself whatsoever, the function to transfer programs with another V is already built in. All they need to do is make a dongle and a simple program to store, display and edit the information. If they have the talented C++ programmers who can create the software that powers the V then I don't see what the problem would be to create a simple PC program in the same language. And, NO, I don't have the time to create the dongle and program myself or I would do so. I would prefer spending that time in the field with my son making memories. I make money at my job to spend on things like this and would purchase such an item in a flash if it were available.

As I have said we are all entitled to our opinions. If all the talk is going to be about the dongle, I'll close the post. Whites has stated they are not producing one for this product. What will happen with the next detector, no one knows. This forum is about the present detectors that we own and they have no dongles. ROB