Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Only one I can blame is Khouse....

List those detectors. Are some of them just your old ones you can't part with? What are your top 3 units you like to swing?

My detectors: XLT, ID Edge,CZ70Pro,Mark1, Big Bud, GTA 1000 powermaster,Wilson relic & coin, Golden,El Dorado,Gold Mountain King Cobra,Land Star( Radio Shack), two Garrett 250, BH 3300....I need to sell about ten and find ten good places to hunt.....Jack

I know what you mean, I might tackle that pinpoint sometime lol. I want a sunray probe so bad I can't stand it. When I get it I know I'll need that pinpoint trigger so I can lock it in when using the probe. I still have alot of trouble sometimes finding the object in the hole. I just can't get any consistency with what part of the coil the object is under, even when pinpointing. I'll get hits on the front of the coil sometimes and it'll end up being under the back, or middle or vice versa. Same problem when pinpointing, I know its supposed to be under the front loop if shallow and a little bit behind the front loop when deep. I read that somwhere on here.Although I don't know what depth is considered shallow and deep as far as that goes. about how deep is the changing point of shallow and deep? lol Do you use a pinpointer khouse? I can see where it should save ALOT of time and trouble, oh and one more question. About what percentage of time does a coin show exactly what coin it is, without bouncing around? Seemed like the very few coins I've found pretty much hit a dime when it was a dime and a quarter when a quarter etc. No bouncing I dont believe. I need a test garden but my yard is so full of stuff I don't think I could find anywhere clean enough to put one. It would help alot I know that. Does the ace, when in coin mode, look for the size and metal content, to determine which coin or just the metal content? Seems like it'll show iron and bounce around often when in all metal but switch to coin and it'll pretty much show the coin id and not bounce as much. This makes me assume its reading the size and metal content and trying to determine what coin it is based both. This may be common sense but I gotta ask to make sure!!! Not much experience on finding coins so far, only twice. Thats why I need a coin garden so bad huh? Thanks

It's the conductivity of the object that produces a signal. When a coin is by itself in clean ground the TID will be pretty steady. I usually get that feeling when I hear a clean coin that says -oh yes, that's a coin. It's the other signals like 95% that you really have to know your machine to decipher. ie - jumpy TID and one way bell tone etc.
Usually to find coins you must hunt where coins could have been lost. It's like fishing. No one would fish is a fresh puddle of water after a rain. We all are looking for that pond where there hasn't been any fishing done. That where the lunkers are. It's just harder to find. I sure haven't found the mother load. Still looking.
I used to pinpoint dead center of the Ace stock coil, but now I use the inner front coil to pinpoint. I would say a 2 inch target is at the front edge and anything deeper is back an 1inch or 2 at the most. A 3 or 4 inch horse shoe flap or plug usually gets both.
When in coin mode you will only here that conductivity of metals beeping. Sometimes in coin mode you will get say a bell tone one way. This could be a bad target or a target next to rejected (notched out) target. When you flip it to jewelry or AM mode you will here the previously rejected target beep. That may tell you that you have a coin next to a piece of foil etc. This is just more info for you to dig or not.
The more time I have to hunt the less I discriminate. Sometimes I have only 20 minutes to hunt. I have been known to reject everything all the way through zinc cent. But once I get a good coin I will just in that area switch to jewelry for a bit.
I built and use my own pinpointer. I really depend on it.
Usually on a coin or small shaped target you will pinpoint that pretty accurate. But on big rusty nails and long targets you will sometimes be pinpointing just the end of it. Then when you dig you think you have pinpointed 2 or 3 inches off to one side.
I know this is a long post but want to say that there are a lot of more experienced metal detectorists here and I myself have learned much from all here. I appreciate the forums. It's always lively!
One more thing for all about the wireless headphones. In no way do you have to modify them to work. They will plug right in to the detector out of the package. You just need to buy a 1/4 x 1/8 inch plug adapter. I just thought that some may not want them thinking they have to be modified.

Ok I think that info will help me out some on the pinpointing. and on the headphones, I was thinking about that other day. Wondering if people would think they had to mod them to work. Since me and you have been talking about modding them so much cause we're picky and like to have it "just right" lol I do anyway!!! I'm still amazed at how good they sound and how much more I enjoy my detector now. I gotta get me a pinpointer!! Thanks for the info kenny. Maybe this weekend I'll find something that I can retire on........:super: