Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Only one I can blame is Khouse....

nymohawk

Yep he talked into a Ace 250...Which should arrive here next Tuesday. Then he goes and and makes me order a radioshack wireless system too?
Who is this guy ....he should be be running for president the way I been listening to him! hehehe

Thanks for all the great advice good neighbor!

NYMohawk

Mohawk,
That's funny, that's when I'm expecting my checks from Garrett and Radio Shack!!!! I'm really a plumber - no kidding! I can't wait to see your finds.
PS. Radio Shack will take those phones back for 30 days if your not satisfied. I've only had mine for a week. But looks like they are keepers.

You may have to join "Metal Detector Anonymous" if the bug bites too hard. Congratulations on buying one of the "BEST" :).

Khouse!!!! I hope they are paying you good!!!! You know how I said I'd get them when I get the money to spair? well, today I experienced my common "gotta have them now" syndrome and went to rs and got them and now you have to reimburse me!!!!! It's all your fault!!! They are amazingly comfortable. I'm surprised, haven't got to use them yet, I assumed they had a 1/4 in. jack on them and didn't buy an adapter. I've got to go back to rs tommorrow and get one, hope they have one with a short wire. I was wondering why did you do all of that rewiring? Is it because they didn't have an adapter with short wire? I went to best buy circuit city and wal mart tonight, rs was already closed. All they had was a straight adapter, no wire just a 1/8 female on one end and a 1/4 male on the other. I want to do mine like you did, IF i can find one with short wire I wont have to do any mod to it. The straight through one would make it stick out past the det. head. How did you attach the receiver to the head? velcro? Thanks and I only take cash lol. So far you owe me $70 for a sniper coil, and $65 for the headphones. I expect payment by this coming Friday!!!!!

No the transmitter has a swivel plug. That works fine if you velcro it to your detector so it doesn't swing around. They don't make one with a short wire. I took it apart and added longer wires to it myself. Then I split the swivel and soldered the new wires on the plug. Don't do all that. I'm just crazy. Just use it like it comes. I too just used a 1/4 x 1/8 plug adapter (no wires). I forgot to tell you that one!
Charge the headphones up and stick them on your computer to test them. I'm not the only ones using the headphones. I went into 2 Radio Shacks the last 2 days and they were all sold out of the phones.
Tinfoil told me about the headphones on the Mod forum. So I gave it a shot. I have tried 2 sets in the past with no success. But these work.
I don't think Garrett and RS is going to send me that much money!!!!

I think I'm just gonna buy one of the wired 1/8 to 1/4 adapters and cut the wire to about 4 or 5 inches and solder it and put shrink tubing over the splice. I want it with wire so I can mount it flush exactly like yours, did you use velcro or double sided tape to stick it flush to the head? I don't want the weight of the receiver on the plug either. Yours fits flush against the head and that just looks good and dont stress any plugs either. Don't want anything flopping around, I already bout lose my head everytime I turn around lol. I'd be like, hmmmm not getting any hits in all this trash suddenly. Oh crap, where's my receiver?????? :ranting: :detecting: One more thing, did you run it down and charge it before using it the first time? I noticed the instructions said to fully discharge it before charging for best batt life, this must be nicads, I know they need full discharging before recharging to get a full charge. Also, rechargeables are supposed to be fully charged before using the first time or they wont ever charge to full capacity. I've had mine on a couple hours trying to run them down so I can charge them in case they wasn't fully charged out of the package. I'm not even sure my pc has a 1/8 jack on it, not on the front anyway, i'm bout to look on the back and see. thanks for the info Kenny!!!

Maybe he was the one who told me I must have a half dozen back-up machines, every accessory, this laptop for MDing research etc... HeHe

Right now the transmitter is held in place by sliding it behind the plug adapter. But as soon as I find the sticky back Velcro I'm going to add a very small piece to it. I'm still trying to run the batteries down by using them.

download Google Earth....WOW What a great program to view all your sites and a good way to do grid work on a site...The sky is the limit with model program.....You can even do 3d buildings in some areas....It may be the way that we could areas with each other as well!

Try it I promise you'll love searching creeks for indian camping grounds and wagon trail stops along the streams.... It has really made all our research exciting....

And it's FREE so if you're not happy with the price send me 19,95 hehehehe

Enjoy!

My brother has a friend that used to take satellite pictures and measure the dimensions and elevations of buildings. He had a giant machine in his office. I would say it was 5 feet wide and 4 feet high. You looked into this binocular thing to focus the pictures. He said it was $50K used. He subcontracted for some kind of secure companies.
Anyway here's my point. He let me look into it one day to see the detail. I could see in detail right to the ground. He said for security purposes the general public could only zoom so far. But he could see everything. If we could see that good on Google Earth we could maybe see coins on the ground!

Well, I finally got my mod finished up today. Man is it AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! EVERYBODY that uses headphones must get a set of these things and mod that baby to fit like me and khouse have them. It's perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!Credit to khouse! spent most of the mid day running around radio shack gettin parts and dealing with one of their genuses trying to tell me how he'd do it and how hard its gonna be to make this work the way "I" want it.....:rage: I Finally got my parts and bought me a "decent" soldering iron to replace the 20 year old pistol type that I have with the huge tip on it lol. Anyway, after getting everything soldered together and working I tried it out and WOW sounds extreeeeeeemely good just like khouse said!!! These things are sooooooooo light and comfy, I detected about 3 hours and forgot I even had them on!!! It was sooooo much more enjoyable than dealing with that wire tangling around my arm and the detector and limbs... I could have stayed out all day if I'd got it finished earlier lol. This was supposed to be my bigggg day to go hit the ruins I found on the map. Didn't make it still. NEXT WEEKEND!! Hey Kenny, i used some "duck" brand(wal-mart) double sided tape to mount my receiver, it's clear and about 3/4" wide, I just put a strip the length of the white part of the receiver up top then one below it and cut it to slope with the lower contour of the detector head. Works perfectly, very secure and this stuff is no thicker than regular scotch tape! Anything thicker and the receiver would have had problems fitting behind the 1/8" plug. It sticks very well but shouldn't be hard to remove the receiver if necessary. You may notice in the pic that I reversed mine from the way you put yours khouse. So that I can see my power indicator and the charging hole still points down to keep dirt out of it. I'm gonna see if one of the little rubber plugs on a cell phone will fit in the hole when out detecting to keep dirt out. This also makes it sit perfectly so that while holding my detector with my right hand I can just flip my thumb across to the other side and turn the receivers power on and off if necessary. I just wanted it so that I could do that and see my power indicator also. Just for my reassurance lol. I added pics of the arrangement and pics of what I bought at radio shack for about $6 I think, plus some shrink tubing, I just took everything off the outside of the two plugs and soldered them and shrink tubed em. All that fancy stuff that comes on it just takes up space and requires longer wire, I wanted to keep the wire as short and compact as possible!! The blue wire sets it off too, lol the guy at radio shack gave it to me. It's not sheilded but works great, clear as a bell. this is one awesome setup, couldn't be happier with it!! Plenty loud enough, I think I ran it about half volume. so light also. I also bought me some of the cotton gloves with the rubber coating on them at lowes. They fit skin tight so I can feel what I'm doing but keep my hands dry and clean, they work awesome too. I can't stand handling dirt, my hands get all dried out and nasty feeling lol. Dirt sucks the oil right out of my skin. I hope I covered all the details if anybody else wants to do this, and so kenny can see how I did it so the light is to the outside and can easily acces the power switch just in case he might like that better. Hope it helps somebody. I won't be without it ever again!!!!
[attachment 46884 earphonemod002.jpg]
[attachment 46885 earphonemod001.jpg]
Don't pay attention to what is in the packages in the pic. the 1/8" female comes with two, I just took the guts out of one and used them to shorten up the plug so the wire could bend closer to the plug where the receiver attaches to it. The 1/4" male plug is not in the package obviosly. I also took the part that screws onto it off and only used the guts. the metal sleeve that screws over the guts makes it too wide to slide the receiver between it and the detector head.
[attachment 46886 earphonemod003.jpg]
Here's a few things I found today near one of the old homeplaces I revisited to try out the headphones.I don't know what all it is, but I know its worth ALOT of money!!! lol One of them is an old Ball jar lid, it's got white glass on the inside of the lid, I've never seen one with glass in it before........
[attachment 46888 1-27-07finds001.jpg]
[attachment 46889 1-27-07finds002.jpg]

Cavinkeven,
Way to go! You modified the modification! The only reason I put the transmitter on the way I did was to get it tight in the corner. Also to have full access to the button. I really like your set up. Might just turn my around.
I can't believe I'm not connected the the detector like a ball and chain any more! We need to buy stock in RS because I think there about ready to sell about a million of these headphones! I already posted that 2 of my local RS's sold all they had.
Did it make the 250 sing?

LOL yeah, I've got another mod up my sleeve to work on next lol. Yeah I started off wanting to put it all the way up against it but I wanted the light facing out more and wanted to be able to work it with one hand just for the heck of mostly. Don't know how convenient it'll really be though in use. The light out has already helped twice tonight lol. Just a min ago I put them on and was admiring them. I leaned the detector up against the wall and hung the headphones over the head and saw the light on the receiver, it'd been dead if I hadn't seen it. The headphones are awesome!!! I really like em. I can't stop puttin them on just to hear em beep lol. Kinda like a big kid. Only problem I have is, to unplug the jack from the detector I'm gonna have to pull the receiver loose and put new tape on. Which I don't see any reason I'll be taking it off though, or need to use without the headphones, unless my batts die. with velcro though its gonna set the receiver out too far and the jack wont plug in. May have to get out the ol dremel tool and start grinding on the side of the jack!!!!!!! It really does need to be unpluggable without a bunch of hassle just in case batts die on me. wonder how much clearance I can get by grindind the side of the plug down. We're bout to find out I think lol. Well I'm back and I fixed it, I just took my receiver off and filed the lip things off of one side of the 1/4 jack and stuck the receiver back on with the same tape and I can plug and unlplug without ever having to take the receiver off again, good deal. Now I'm set!!! Going to cook me some spaghetti lol.

That's great. Don't be sleeping with those headphones!!!! It will get you in trouble!
I took mine apart 2 days ago to add green LED's inside the head to light up the display. I had found a tiny switch and bought the LED's. I tried and tried to get the LED's positioned to light the front of the LCD display. But there's just no room. I do light the outside of the display with a red LED for night hunting.
I was devastated knowing the mods may come to an end on my 250. So far my mods are the wireless headset, wider stand and trigger pinpoint. I think I'm done unless your new mod looks good!
Heck, maybe now I can get out and hunt!

The 250 is a great choice. Ihave 14(yes 14) detectors and the 250 is my favorite for coin hunting in parks and school grounds.