Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

OK...Am I being stupid???

chopperj

Hi all, first post here

I built a Heathkit metal detector back in the early 70's and had a good time with it. It had ONE control on it. It was the on/off switch and sensitivity. Oh and it did have a meter to show how strong the signal was. Pretty primitive compared to today's detectors. As I said it actually worked and I remember digging a lot of junk...:biggrin:... and enjoyed it. As time went on I built a new house, had kids, bought a business, yada yada yada... you get the picture.

OK I am now considering buying a new metal detector and I have done a bunch of research on them. I am particularly Interested in the V3i because it appears to be the only one that can search with three separate frequencies and show the results without combining them.

I know it seems a little expensive for an entry level detector but although I am not wealthy by any means I am doing OK so the money really isn't an issue. And I'm not afraid of technical things.

My question is this. Would I be wrong to buy a V3i at this point. I really don't want to buy something less expensive only to want one of these at a later time. I realize that there is a learning curve with this machine but it seems that just running the factory programs at first would still be light years ahead of the one I had earlier. And in time I'm thinking I would learn to venture into changing settings if I wanted to. I just think this looks like an awesome machine right out of the box. Oh well I could ramble on so I need not to. I think you get my point.

Any input would be appreciated... Thanks

chopperj said:
And in time I'm thinking I would learn to venture into changing settings if I wanted to. I just think this looks like an awesome machine right out of the box. Oh well I could ramble on so I need not to. I think you get my point.

I think you have the right idea.[attachment 218402 Untitled-1.jpg]

Normally I would not suggest the high end detectors for a "beginner" certainly not the DFX, the former king of the hill, but the V3i/VX3 are set up differently today. The new top end detectors are very good performers right out of the box and you do not have to know everything there is to know before using and getting serious results. Now you can take it out of the box, learn the very basics and have a blast with it and learn the fine tuning and personal settings later when you have more time.

Thanks. That is what I was wanting to hear.

From what I have seen this machine should perform right out of the box with the factory programs. I know soil conditions and EMF, and trash, etc. etc. will cause problems but it looks like this thing is pretty awesome.

Actually I think learning to use this thing could be a rewarding learning experience as well.

Sorry... that's just me. :)

chopperj said:
Actually I think learning to use this thing could be a rewarding learning experience as well.

Sorry... that's just me. :)

For me, half the fun is the learning curve...reading and trying different things, I am always improving. The beauty of it is, as I get better I can go back to old sites and get things that I missed before.

Have fun and Read Read Read the manual~!

One of the best features of the V3i is the onboard manual...its better than the written manual by far and gives more information....I can see nothing but upside to buying a V3i (yeah get the i....in for a penny in for a pound...) the factory programs will get you hunting right out of the box, with enough upside cababilities to keep you learning and hunting with a very capable machine for years....Good Luck

Chopper, I started out in the early 70's with the same model HeathKit you had. I think I paid $69 for the kit. Got good depth for coins but dug a ton of chewing gum foil wrappers. Had 11 more detectors since but at my age now I'll stay with my current detector till the end.

Thanks for the input guys. I haven't made a purchase yet but intend to in the next couple of months. I live in Indiana and although we have had a mild winter so far I feel like we will get hammered one of these days. I hate being cold and I am sure digging in frozen ground isn't easy. I am already looking at some places that I want to search for coins and artifacts. Will probably start in my yard first to see if I can "tame the beast". LOL

Jabbo, I still have my old Heathkit. I was just looking at the other day. It has been stored in my basement for years. (Yes I hate to throw anything away). It would probably still work but I would prefer something newer. :)

Thanks again...