Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Oh no wheres that gone ??

a.c.t.i.v.8

Now I am aware that the V3i did away with the facility for checking the loop, but why has the suggested RX gone when you first start up ?? How are you checking to see what RX is best to start at My first trip out this afternoon and to me it was guess work ?

Dave

You got it the wrong way.

You can stll check for overload at gain 15 but you will not have any recommended RX gain.

It was found that the recommended RX was pretty conservative for most and White's now recommends that it be set as high as you can and still maintain stability.

No my good friend, I am not interested in the loop overloading, but with the V3 I started off my day with the sensitivity - probe for suggested RX. Now this facility has been removed ?? So what I am asking is, how are you now supposed to gain a suggested RX ???

Dave

bfodnes said:
You got it the wrong way.

You can stll check for overload at gain 15 but you will not have any recommended RX gain.

You find out the old way. Gain isnt everything anyway, sens is much more important. I set my senses at 92-75 and lower gain util its stable. If it aint stable with gain 7 or above i lower my senses in small portions.

The RX gain recommendation was just as predictable as your local psycic anyway.

I still have the V3 and after hearing about this i started look more into it in the field. Like they say, not a good measure.

The signal and noise % are what are important. As Larry said, suggested RX gain was set conservative to try to keep the signal at 10%. This was covered in several posts when the V3i came out. AS has been stated you an run it as high as you want as long as it is stable. If it's noisy check the signal and lower the RX when it gets to the way you like it take note of the signal. Next time out check the signal% and use the the signal% you liked as a starting point.

I myself just turn on program and if it is stable and quiet. I then bump it up until it gets goofy and then back it down. That is unless it is trashy and then I set it as low as I need to work between the trash. I know you frequent another site because I see my avatar there. Neither of those moderators used the suggested RX either.

Besides not being very realistic, the RG was/is probably responsible for many coils returned that did not need to be returned. Their rule regarding replacement of coils that have an RG less than 8 is something they probably want to get away from...now we have to rely on the overload test alone. I imagine they would still replace a coil that failed overload, but not sure. Two of my coils failed overload and had low RG values and they were replaced (took two returns on one of them). I never look at RG in the field...just adjust gain and sensitivity as needed for the first few minutes and go for it.

V rated coils that fail the overload test have been replaced and still are. Rob

rcasio44 said:

Yes I agree this is very true Rob....

rcasio44 said:

If so then they missed mine, I sent my 4x6 back with my V3 and when it came back as a V3i they returned my same 4x6. It still overloads at rx 10 and above with tx on in the air.

I hope you had a note with the coil. It should have been checked. Rob

Does anyone have a good method to get the crust off of copper coins. I have an Indian head and a draped bust penny both in good condition with some crud stuck to them and I am afraid to scrub it off. Any ideas?

I'm guessing you turned your gain up until the detector overloaded and then turned it back down until it became stable.
How about trying that with the V3i. My guess is that it will work the same way.

n/t