Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Now I Know What The Fuss Is About Now!!!

devildog3rd

I just got my Ace 250 in today!

I have never been around a metal detector until today. No one said anything about getting addicted!

There are dirt mounds all over my yard now and I look like I have crawled out of a hole. I found about a pound of nails, twice as many pull tabs, copper wire, a rock that gives a strong signal,an old U.S. Army button and a piece of steel plate about 14 inches down.

I nearly speared a live 120 volt wire buried underground running to a shed.

I have to say I am hooked and wished I bought a MD a long time ago.

I am amazed that it doesn't lie. And didn't realize how much junk there is underground. I will be a busy person for several years and thinking about buying stock in a "AA" battery business or getting a solar battery charger.

I'm glad I am divorced, because this Garrett Ace 250 would have taken her place.

Thanks to everyone that has posted info here in the other threads it has really helped and along with the DVD that came with the Ace 250.

Funny post! Glad to see you have your priorities straight and mind the wires!

The army button sounds cool. Can't believe with all that junk not one coin.

Chris

Yea, my back yard looks like Gopher City too. (I rented a house that was built back in the 40's) I'm sure my neighbors think I'm a weirdo:goodnight:

when i was in my yard yesterday i found a variety of wires. coax from the cable box to the house. the underground telephone wires, something else that I'm not really sure about. glad you are happy with yours! I've had mine for about 2 days now.

Too bad the 250 can't put a good meal on the table! Hey see if a magnet sticks to that rock? It could be a meteorite!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I cleaned up the Army button and on the back said: The Austin Co Providence R I
I could barely make out the writing on the back. It is roughly the same size of a half dollar. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

I'm not sure of it but I had a few good tones around the 50 cent range and 10 cent range that seemed to move or disappeared once I started digging. I plan on going back over those again if I can figure out those mounds from the 200 + ones.:goodnight:

That live wire confused me a little when I uncovered it and saw the gray coating. Not something to have a small pick around.
Phone wires? They wouldn't shock you unless the wife answers the phone with the bare wires in your hand. You will get a nasty charge while the wife goes on talking. Been down that road before.

Khouse,

Funny you said that...My X couldn't cook either. At least my new found friend ( Ace 250 ) gives instead of taking all the time and I am able to get more satisfaction from my Metal Detector.:biggrin:

That rock. I got to thinking the same thing. I dropped it on the ground before going into my house. I'll check it out.Will not be hard to find with a strong signal.

Thanks again! I feel like a kid in a candy store when I pick up and turn on my 250.

P.S. Can I get a back light for the LCD screen?:biggrin:

as for those moving and disappearing signals, as you have undoubtedly read on other postings it is likely the remnants of a nail that has rusted away leaving nothing behind but a patch of iron-oxide. Still comes through as metal but is gone once the digging happens.
As you get better and better at pinpointing you will have fewer cases of the moving signal also.
For awhile I was sure my Ace was defective as my targets kept moving on me....Comes to find out it was the guy holding the Ace that had the defect.
Put a few metal items in the ground and mark their location. A test patch like this can really shorten the learning curve when it comes to identifying your targets and pinpointing their exact location.
I have fumbled and bumbled my way along with my 250 for almost 6 months now and would be happy to pass along everything I have learned. Send me a P.M. if you have a recurring problem or stumper of a question.
The video is right when it says that it will take around 100 hours to get totally familiar with using the detector so plan on stumbling and bumbling for a while too. That is the one thing all of us in this hobby really have in common (besides the fact that our neighbors think we are weird too.)

khouse That is a clever idea! Thanks for the pics. last night I could not hold still and grabbed my LCD headlight but I couldn't really see the screen for the reflecting light. Thanks! I will work on that night lite!

I was looking at a solar battery charger on Ebay that charges 4 "AA" ( and others ) that has a gauge. There are times I might be camping out three to four days. Some of the places I'll be detecting are hard to get to on my four wheeler.

One of the places is a cave that Indians had lived in that had buried there gold before they were force to move. I have a pretty good idea that this gold is in the cave and would take a week or maybe a month to search it from end to end. I'll have to camp out inside the cave and rappel in and out the entrance.

That iron-oxide had to be what it was. Because the Garret Ace 250 does not lie like a fish finder or other electronics that I have used in the past.

Yep! I see that I have some training to do and figuring out on certain tools to get. Still though. If I dig up a nail or pull tab they might as well be a coin or ring! I look at finding junk as a look into the past and helps my learning curve.

Thanks for the info!

"Listening to others advice good or bad shines more light on your goal to keep you from stumbling around in the dark."

You can also buy another lite and velcro it to the top of the detector. Point it at your coil for night detecting. Once in the cave dig all signals. Maybe I live close enough to help with all that gold? :super:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Photon-II-Micro-Light-LED-Keychain-flashlight-RED_W0QQitemZ190204014551QQihZ009QQcategoryZ106987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I might need some help sweeping it. From what I have heard it takes 14 to 16 hours to walk through it and several very large chambers inside. I have heard that there is some good stuff inside.

This area that I live in has not been metal detected before several old homesteads where the log cabin has completely roted away just only the stacked stones for the foundations only exist.

North East from Middlesboro, Kentucky along the Ky./Va. state line. I think this cave has something to do with a local story not published anywhere about Cherokee gold, and this story is different from the one published.

Yea...it may be time to start an AA club for MDers. Not being able to get out to MD is enough to drive a poor soul to drink!!:detecting:
Regards
RR

To truly locate those evasive targets one should pinpoint the target then turn a full 90 degrees to the target and pinpoint again. This usually nails it.

Bill