Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"Not A Problem" - Another Fishing Story :shrug:

Sunday afternoon for about 4 hours until the rain came, didn't catch anything. I did see a couple of bass follow my lure, but no takers. This was the first time I fished this lake, its 30 miles from my house and I really enjoyed it, better than fishing the White river in Batesville, which is where I live. I like to go more often but I hate going out by myself. Take care, talk to ya later.

years. My kids attended Westside School during this time, and I substituted some. I didn't realize how good I had it at the time. Of course this was back in 1978 or so.

Some of the biggest walleye bass I ever caught were at the Narrows Bridge trolling. We got into a huge bunch of them, and it was one of those rare times of just throwing out, and hauling them in. It was wonderful.

My children thrived in this miniscule small town, and at the time, it was a bit boring for me, as I am a "people person". If you ran out of bread after 5:00, the closest shopping was at Heber Springs then. I have not been back up there in years.

Scott's sister, is the Kindergarten Principle in Batesville.

Anyway, maybe you, me, Arkie and Lil Brother could meet there and fish sometime. That would be fun to me! What do you think? :)

Precious Linda Jean doesn't know much about--nor can she readily appreciate the mechanics of a good, time-tested lure retriever because the only thing she fishes with is live bait! It doesn't take a lot to dislodge a wire brim hook donchano.

Now, my brother and I, though we are country boys, we are SHO-NUFF progressive fishermens! I mean, not to brag, but we have knee-high tackle boxes stuffed full of 5-dollar lures--one of every color. But it doesn't take a smart man to realize that if you keep losin' your lures, that soon you will be out of the fishin' business...thus the LURE RETRIEVER.

Here's how it's done: I took a metal, circular keyring, about 1 1/2 inch diameter, and threaded links of small chain (1/8"+ - links) on it--probably twenty or so lengths of small chain. The lengths of the chain varied, but most were only about 4 or 5 inches long...all threaded on this one keyring. It's a thang of beauty and functionality.

The keyring was then tied to a piece of nylon string, however long you needed it. I used one of daddy's old trotlines. Hope you have it so far. Now.

So when you hang up your favorite lure, just go to the tool box, retrieve the retriever from the box and take your fishing line (that leads to the hung-up lure) and thread it into the center of the key ring the way you would put a key on it. Bring the fishing line taunt and at a considerable angle, say, 60 degrees. The next step is to let physics do its job. Let the lure retriever free-fall through the water, down to the snagged lure. The theory is that the small links of chain will become entangled in the hooks of the snared lure. It may take a couple of giggles, but once that happens, let go of the fishing line and grab the nylon line of the retriever with both hands and PULL.

Usually, the nylon is stronger than any hook and will pull the hooks free, thus freeing your 5-dollar lure, once you apply steady pressure by pulling the lure. The trouble THIS particular time is that I had not retied the knot on the nylon string for years and it finally just gave out--much to my angst and to Linda's warped delight!

The blessed lure wasn't 8-feet down, but I decided I didn't want to get wet that day, so I just let 'er go. Hind sight being 20-20, I shoulda throwed Linda overboard to get it for me BUT...she is my little sister, you know and I didn't want to be dodgin' lightning bolts from Daddy as we crossed over the big water to the boat ramp.

So there you have the famous lure retriever. If any of you want one, just give Lil' Brother a shout. His patent number is BR549 but he has a dozen of them in his shop for only $19.99. But wait! If you order now, you can get TWO for the price of ONE. That's one lure retriever for EACH end of the boat. The lure retriever, if you are one of the first twenty orders, comes with a medium-sized irish potato--that is for cramming in your spouse's (or sister's) mouth if they laugh at you too much.

You all have a great day...and be SURE and order your famous Lil'Bro Lure Retriever...TODAY!!! :lol:

aj

Methinks you are cut from the same cloth brother dear!

So glad you liked Linda's story! It was a hoot reading about it and a BLAST just bein' there--even if I DID lose my now-famous lure retriever!

Johnboy

"Even a blind sow will root up an acorn every once in a while."

That thang works well! But the best thing about fishin' with Linda and Tom is just being with them and seein' the look on their faces when I pull that HOG out of the water!

If they are behaving that day, I might even let them get their picture taken with me! :lol:

aj

I will also include at no extra charge, a lure retriever RETRIEVER!

Every serious fisherman,(or woman), needs one in their boat!:lol:

Lil Brother

retriever fails, you then hook up the retriever retriever! I THAT fails, you might as well call it a day! :rofl:

driving a school bus for the Batesville school system during summer school. I see the Kindergarten principal almost daily because I eat lunch there and then take the kids home after lunch. I never really talked to her, just see her in the lunch room with the kids.
I think all of us getting together to go fishing would be fun. I like to fish and it would be a lot better going with someone then by yourself.

to the brothers, and maybe we can get a fishing trip up! That would indeed be great fun! I haven't fished Greers Ferry in a long long while, and really would not have a clue where to go. What about yourself? :)

we are required to wear name tags and I'll what her name is. I really don't know what area of Greers Ferry lake is best to fish in. I put in at Cherokee camp ground but I think there is better places to fish. The reason I went there was I know there is no launch fee. I can see why, you are out in the middle of no where, in open water with one or two coves a half mile away. I need to ask around where the better places are to launch and fish. See ya later, I gotta go drive the school bus.

n/t

a thrill when one gets on your line, because they are real fighters! They are usually very large! If I ever catch one again, I'll try and show you! :)