Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nice little bullet

Old Sox

Didnt find a whole lot of good stuff today but did manage to save this little teardrop bullet..........and a possum. This bullet must have been dropped directly from the mold as the seam is still fresh looking. The possum looked like he had better days. Thanks for looking

n/t

Thanks Elton, we had 50+ degree weather today and man was it nice. Had a good time, my buddy found a .58 caliber bullet and a heel plate today along with a 1903 dime. I also found a nice button and a gold plated earring at the Stagecoach stop I told you about the other day. Good times

What caliber is that bullet?

My daughter thought the possum was cute. (But she thinks most everything that looks small is. :) )

I would like to know, without sounding like an a$$. Why or what is the deal with Bullets?
Please don't take me wrong.

It's hard to say exactly why I get so excited when I dig old bullets, maybe the fact that I know they were used during the Civil War or before if your back east. Was it in a battle? was it target practice?, is the reason the bullet is misshaped because it hit a body?, or maybe it's just the fact that it's old. I can't tell you for sure but I always get a thrill digging an old bullet with nice white patina. Here are a couple I dug yesterday.
Happy Hunting

I dig bullets here too but don't relate them to Battles. I dig lots of round lead and some shaped like you guys post but not in the #s you do.
I have a few Muster fields here that I hunt and have found a Grape shot. Or that's what I think it's called. About 2 1/2" in diameter. That was exciting but not knowing the history of the different bullets takes away some of the excitement of digging them. I guess what I'm saying is, there was so much use of flintlocks in the early days here that they really have not much significance.
Is there a value to the ones found in the Battle fields of the CW sites?

No problem Bob. No real monetary value, for me it is just the fact that I am probably the first person to hold that bullet since a soldier in the Civil War either dropped it or shot it. It is just the fascination of history I guess. When you are swinging your machine in a place that has pretty good Civil War history, you tend to see the artifacts in a different light. It starts to become a target that you specifically go after and after X amount of years, they are starting to become hard to find, at least for me. Plus, you never know when you will unearth that CS belt buckle lookin fer them bullits!!!

I can relate to items that are significant to an area. I felt that excitement in the Muster field when I dug my first Malitia buckle last summer.
I was just curious about the Bullet posting by many in CW areas.
Here's the Buckle I found. Now I need to find the other Half.
[attachment 80558 1845militiaofficersplate.JPG]

...though I suppose if you're in an area that was settled later, folks might also tend to focus on the available historical objects to find.

I think, for me at least, it's the sense of history and imagining how that object got to be there--taking me back in time--which is much like digging an old coin or a button. I think I got as much excitement digging the few old bullets I've found as the old coins or one button I've found so far, though they've all been scarce for me so far.

One of the first exciting finds for me--when I was still using the Tesoro Sidewinder--was a .50 cal musketball I found in the the soft, sand bank of what had been the Middlesex Canal. It wasn't noticably deformed but, considering the location and the soft ground I found it in, I still imagined someone on one of the many flat canal boats plying the waters between Charlestown and Lowell from the late 1700s up til about 1850--or maybe someone leading a horse on the opposite bank--trying to shoot some dinner and missing, burying the ball in the bank of the shore and wondering if they went hungry that night. That's part of the pleasure of the hunt for me as well, imagining what the location was like at any given particular time in the past, even before I even start digging.

For instance, here's the non-coin objects--minus one CW-era, I think, officers button--I've found in one very large historical location:
[attachment 80565 080210_A-non-coin-finds_7819.JPG]
The interesting coins I've found there are a 18x7 half-cent and a 17x7 half-reale. While the half-reale was probably the find I've been most excited about yet, the clay pipe, two large bullets, and staff button were roughly equal in excitement to me as the half-cent (the only one I've found yet).

(BTW, if anyone can help ID the unknown stuff, that would be really cool!)

Those are some nice bullets, especially the long blunt one. Looks like a Whitworth, if so it is a rare find. Thanks for sharing BlackX

Hi Bob, I guess it's not really about value. Most of our coins are worthless too! If it was about value, we would all be looking for gold at the beach or in mining towns. Heck, the bottles in the privies are worth ten times the coin value. I too love to know that I found something that has not seen the light of day in 200 years. Wait till you find a musket ball with teeth marks in it. Dentist visit or battle field surgery? Gets you thinking. Brings you back to a time we can only imagine. And over all, if you put together a varied collection of bullets, they will have some value. And if you are lucky enough to find a rare type bullet, who knows, it may pay for your machine. My philosophy is to go out and see nature, get exercise, and clear my head of all of societies problems (if only for a couple of hours), anything I find is icing on the cake! HH

[quote Old Sox]Those are some nice bullets, especially the long blunt one. Looks like a Whitworth, if so it is a rare find.[/quote]

Thx. Just did a quick search on Whitworth and keep seeing them listed as .45 caliber. This is about .69 caliber and a hair over 1.75" long. I've not seen one like it before but I don't know much about bullets from that era either. Never have been able to find one like it online. I definitely would not like to have been hit by it! That thing's huge!

Not arguing any of that. Was just curious about the Bullets. Where I live, they are discarded. The guys I know here don't collect them.

Might have something even more rare, who knows. Might check with the guys in the Relic Forum. I would like to know also. I bet somebody over there can help, if you find out let us know.

Edit: Sorry if this reply caused any confusion. Black X, this post was meant to be a reply to your post on the Whitworth bullet.

Well if you guys are going to discard any rare ones (like the kind that can buy me a new truck), send them my way:biggrin: I've got loads of buttons also. Love those things (especially if they say GW on them). Buttons make a good display too. Most of the good ones are cloak buttons with designs, some pewter and tombac, and lots of small flat ones. Here's some of the more common ones, the better ones are in a different place. Some buckles too. HH

Nice, Old Sox...:detecting:

As far as regarding bullets as "keepers" goes,
I can see the link to the Civil War that might be made.

Down here in Australia we didn't have any civil war, so the historic attachment isn't there.
Lead projectiles are just scrap lead.
I think the same sentiment goes for our UK brothers...:confused:

I did once find a very old musket ball on an old property I had access to.
This old cattle property dated back to 1830, the musket ball was around .75 caliber.
It could have been fired from an ex-British military "Brown Bess" flintlock I guess.
I did have an attachment to that old ball ~ but generally no reason to keep them.

Now I've gotta ask the question; what reading did the possum give ?

cool.gif