Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbie update

Judy

:tongue:Feeling better about my new 250 and myself. Been almost a week now, and getting some better handling of this. Reading, reading, practicing, etc. Found a few 50's nickels, and a quarter and some 30-50's pennies. Not bragging yet. Found a ton of JUNK of course, think I've found 'Jimmy Hoffa' and his caddie in my side yard! Not going to that area of my side EVER AGAIN unless I need a dose of aggrevation or an earth mover! hmmmmm. I'll post photos when there is more stuff than desk showing. Judy.

WELCOME Judy, to the world of detecting! You have described every feeling all of of us have had somewhere along the line - and often still do. I can think of an area or two that I wouldnt go near, as well, if the gold of the Incas were there!

Just hang in there, plant your tongue firmly in your cheek and smile, it's all good.

It want be long before you can start bragging and finding some good stuff. You may never need to set foot in a jewellers shop again unless it's to sell him some jewellery of course!:lol: You can never tell what's going to show up. You're putting the time in and educating yourself. It will get easier fairly soon.
All the best.
Mick Evans.

If you find 10 more nickles you will not be a newbie any more! But if you find a silver or gold ring you can just skip the nickle thing!

and taking in everyones advice and applying it as best I can before 'ol man winter sets in. Better prepared for next spring tho. My 250 is doing great too on batteries! Can't complain, logging in with nearly 20 hrs. and still on 3 bars! Come to another fine conclusion. If I can't find it due to soil muck, leave it alone, there's always another day. Thanks guys....Judy.

judy when you were on side of your house was your 250 going crazy and meter jumping around due to the junk there?

too much iron junk! The area is huge aside from iron, tons of aluminum cans, old broken beer bottles, etc. Could be treasures in there, but I'm NOT venturing there again. WAAAAY to much scrap for me. Judy.

If the meter is bouncing I'm assuming that is JUNK right? The sens. is always 4, occasionally 5 never higher. Thanks.

Yeah, if it's bouncing over several notches. If it is only bouncing between 2, then it is probably a good target, so dig those ones. Sometimes it may bounce over several notches if there is more than one target present. In these cases, try and sweep your coil from more than one direction and see what happens. Play around with how you do this.
One other cardinal rule of detecting. Always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS!!!! check your holes after recovering a target; good or bad. Coins often fall out of pockets in multiples. You will be amazed at how often that happens.
Now that you have 20 hours under your belt,you've probably got the hardest, most frustrating hurdles behind you now,and as you get up to fifty hours, you'll start to notice a few more things that the detector is telling you. Being a lady, you may notice things better than us guys! Then you can tell us all about them (We're not known for our observations of the more subtle nature):confused:
Good luck and enjoy yourself.
Mick Evans.

Hi Judy, and welcome. My family all use garrett detectors and over the years we have found that once your detector shows only 2 bars on the battery indicator it is time to replace. Once it shows only 2 it seems to not function as it should. Good Luck and the best of hunting.
1500 350 250

If it is bouncing a lot, you could be around some power lines. Some power lines bother it and some don't. Some power lines are under ground and you wouldn't know it was there unless you had a detector.

Noticed that it bounces around the "NEW" phone line put in a month ago. Signals around silver. Thank goodness I know where the new line is or I'd still be out there with floodlights and a battery supply.:rant:

--- is simply twitching your coil back and forth over a target to help the circuitry "lock on," if you will.