Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbie From Scotland...

jacobiteken

Hi,Kenny from Bonnie Scotland here, just got myself the GTAX 1000 PM in mint condition, and its nice to be a member of the Garrett Clan:twodetecting: I know this is an older model , so I don't know what other coils are available....Went to the Garrett Website to look for coils clicked on select detector and there was no GTAX 1000 PM...I've heard of a coil called the 5.5 Hothead Ferret...Can Anyone tell me where to buy this ? or any other coil for the 1000.Thanks Kenny.....P.S. In the U.S.A. its miles cheaper than in the U.K...God Bless U.S.A. :beers:

Nice too get some company from far away. That machine you bought is a "Gooder" and has passed the test of time. I am really looking forward to seeing your finds. If you have any questions, just ask. :)

Hello Kenny,

Been using the 1000 myself since '97... it's still one of my favorites and one of the best deals in the used detector market.

Unfortunately, new coils for this machine haven't been offered for awhile but they still show up regularly on the auction sites. The stock coil isn't bad, but I consider the 1000 to be an average performer with the stock 8.5" coil...

I've owned 5 coils for this machine and the ones to look for are (my opinion):

4.5" Sniper coil; decent depth, excellent target seperation and pinpointing, very good on trashy sites.

5.5" HotHead "Ferrett" coil; my favorite and stays on the machine now. As deep (or deeper) than stock but better target seperation. Often hits harder on coins and smaller jewelry.

10.5" HotHead; as deep as the 12.5" but more sensitive to smaller targets.

Again, these coils show up in the 'used' market, with the 5.5 being harder to find. I had a 12.5" myself and recently sold it, keeping the other four.

I own about 7 machines now, started with the 1000 PM and intend to hang on to it. You've got a decent machine, good luck with it!

Feel free to e-mail with any specific questions.

anthony_waggoner@waggonermanufacturing.com

Best Regards,
Skillet

Hi Skillet,
Many thanks for the excellent information. Got a PM from BigCatDaddy giving me information on where to buy all the coils you've mentioned. You are all a credit to the forum.

Many thanks,
Kenny :super:

Many thanks John for the kind welcome. It's been raining here a lot lately so I haven't been able to go out dectecting but I hope to go out at the weekend. Any cool finds, I'll certainly post them. :detecting:

Cheers,
Kenny.

hi Kenny-Dogface here,in Michigan,U.S.A....Welcome to the forum-just ordered me a GTP 1350 today...Cant wait to get it...:thumbup:

From Ontario Canada here.

Will be looking forward to your posts....lots of history in your neck of the woods !

Kenny,

I forgot to mention I have relatives that live in Scotland on Lock Fine. My parents met them but I have not. (MacLachLan)

Farnum

Welcome, Kenny! I know you'll find this forum a great help. Lots of experience and knowledge for us newbies. Looking forward to your future finds.

joesgirl

Hi Farnum,
A wee bit of history about the Maclachan clan. They were jacobites like my clan, the Farqharsons. They both fought with Bonnie Prince Charlie to regain the Stuart Crown in 1745 and it ended in tragedy in 1746 on the 16th of April when their chief and many of the Maclachan were killed on Culloden Moor. I am also a member of the 45 association whos ancestors fought at Culloden. The Maclachan had lands in Strathlachan in Argyllshire and the clan's seat is the Castle Lachlan Strathlachlan, Loch Fyne. So a cool clan!

Cheers,
Kenny

I wish you all the best with your new GTP 1350- happy hunting! :detecting:

Thanks for the warm welcome and the information everyone.

Cheers once again,
Kenny.

hi kenny from sunny wales lol just wanted to say i had the gta 500 not so long back and just upgraded to the 1500 gti (what a machine) anyway i noticed that you say usa is far cheaper which it is but be warned i bought mine from canada a lot cheaper but when it got here customs had me big time cost me

Kenny,

Thanks for the information. I did drive over and saw Loch Fyne when I was in school. Our ship was docked in Edinburgh. I rented a car with some of my fellow cadets and we drove there. I saw the old castle runes near the water.

Again my parents met some of the relatives and continued to write to one named Duncan until they died a few years ago.

Again thanks for the information and good hunting.

I will need to learn how to post photos on this forum. I post photos on the other forum I write too.

Farnum

Hi brrttpaul,
Nice to talk to a fellow celt. It's the same here rain, rain, gales and more rain :rolleyes: :lmfao: Got myself a nice garrett bag from the US for

Hi joesgirl! thanks for the Welcome. yes the Forum is Great, plenty of information. When the rains stops and i try out my 1000, I will post my finds ( IF ANY ):yikes:

hi Uncle Willy. I can call you Uncle Willy? :rolleyes: Read alot about you on the Forum and you sure know your Stuff, Nice to hear from you.

Cheers,
Kenny.

Hi kenny yeah it was because it was a detector as i said it was still cheaper but not as much as it could have been lol i think in uk my detector was