Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

new

When I first got my MXT, I used the stock coil, and was about ready to give up, due to the ratty sound and constant chatter.

My next move, after consulting this forum, was to get the 5.3 coil. Huge difference, but I still could not run wide open, or even +2 on the gain. I never put the 10" coil back on.

I bought a used 10x6 from someone off the forum, and found I could run all out very quietly. The 5.3 was banished to the bag after I got this coil.

Pinpointing with either coil was a non-issue for me, particularly after I got a SunRay probe.

After a couple years with the 10x6, I realized that running at max gain is not always the best option, especially in areas that a mower has made little bits of trash out of big ones. Also, school grounds and parks that are fortified with fertilizer, which the MXT can pick up, makes the elliptical coils footprint operate quieter.

The footprint concept is the key here. Although the 10x6 is physically larger than the 5.3, it's detection range is smaller. Picture a 1" stripe running the full length of the 10x6, and you see it's detection window. The 5.3 broadcasts in a cone pattern, so there is more chance of getting multiple targets in the same scan. Somebody please correct me if I'm off base, but that is my understanding of it.

Looking back, I found more with the 5.3, but could cover more ground with the 10x6. In moderate trash, such as chewed up aluminum cans, target seperation is probably a toss up. Very dense trash, such as around picnic tables and bbq spits, the 10x6 gets the nod. I also must note that the shooter coil is superior in these situations. This is a specialty coil to be used only in areas of high trash. If you have the patience to filter through all those hits, you may be rewarded with virgin territory, as this type of hunting is not for everybody. I do so only occasionly, but have made my best jewelry finds this way.

I can only speak of hunting parks and schoolyards, but I feel the choice is 1 and 1A. If you can find a good used deal on either one, have confidence in either coil. Someday I hope to try an Excellerator coil, which is an elliprical design in a round housing. Maybe my mind will get changed again!

I got an XLT for sale in the classifieds, it was going to be a package but I will sell seperatly....take 500.00 for the XLT and goodies.
Check it out