Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

new

TNHunter

New to forum rec by friend in another forum. I just received prizm IV for christmas and dad is thinking of taking it and upgrading me. trying to decide on mxt, or m6. Live in East TN and coinshoot , relic ,jewerly hunt, but open to almost anytype of MD. GO to beach 2x per year. would love xlt but $$$ go up? What would your opinions be?
Paul TNHunter

MXT and M6 are both exellent choices for many people. The MXT & M6 share the same basic circuitry and while the MXT appears to have a lot more options, in the end it really doesn't. Only if you were going to do some gold nugget hunting and/or a lot of searching in an All Metal (prospecting) mode would the MXT really be a 'better' consideration.

I've owned a number of these two models and found the Matrix M6 to be a very competitive model in overall field performance.

With either one the most important consideration is what accessory coil to get because, quite frankly, I don't think the stock 950 is all that great the majority of the time.

I DO, however, think that the M6 and the 5.3 Eclipse coil (a 6

Do you think m6 and mxt are good for coin hunting? I have read some reviews where this is questioned because of the higher freq. compared with lower freq. used on other detectors.
Paul TNHUnter

I have used a lot of units over the years and the M-6 with the 5.3 coil is a killer in trash.I have been hunting a area for a while that is so trashy that it is hard to find a clean place to ground balance.
This area has lots of pull tabs,screw caps, rusty nails and other trash, clad coins, old coins. It has been hunted a lot of times by a lot of other units.The smaller coil is a must for the M-6.
If you can use a unit in this area, you can hunt just about any where.
Here are some pictures from the 1st and 2nd day with the M-6 and 5.3 coil.the ring is 14kt.the coins are clad,wheaties,1945 Merc dime and a "V" nickel, can not make out the date on it.3rd day was a 1948 silver Rosie, not int the picture.Not bad for a area that has been hunted to death...HH..BJ

Monte would like your advice as to which coil is better for coin and jewelery hunting, and easy-est or best for pin pointing on the M-6
the 4X6 DD or the 5.3 Eclipse. Thanks:twodetecting:

Great Finds BJ !!

You hit the nail on the head regarding the M6. With a quick recovery speed, 7 tone id, using 0 disc, going slow and using a small coil of which there are many variations it may be one of the best at hunting good sites that many give up on due to all the target masking. HH Bill

That I set the Disc at 9 o'clock and the Sens at pre-set, did the GB and lock and hunted in tone ID.
I dug a lot of trash, but in this site, you have to.
This is a site that you can not come in and cherry pick and you better have a small coil and be ready to dig some trash.This site has been pounded and pounded and soon we will not be able to hunt it anymore.HH..BJ

Hi BJ,
I understand about digging the trash and more often than not as i also dig more than i like but what i've found is that in amongst all that trash there is something that produces an impulse to dig whether it's a zinc hit with a hint of high coin or a solid nickel hit that turns out to be an old shell casing but the target separation is the key in my opinion. I think we're on the same page. HH Bill

Bill, this place has some good things that also read in the trash range on any detector. All kinds of tokens. My oldest IH, 1864 came from about 75 feet from that ring several years ago. We have been hunting this site for several years. I have seen 2 Barber dime's that read as Zink on 3 units. You never know whats hiding next to a rusty nail until you dig it.HH..BJ

I never tried the M6 yet, but do know the MXT with the 6X10 DD coil plus the Mini Shooter 4X6 coil are awesome for coin hunting and seen some very deep coins found with either coils. I feel this has been by far the best Coin hunting detector from Whites I have ever used and the depth from that little 4X6 in trash has surprised many at what this little coil can do.
This is my wife's detector and has beat my oldest dime with a 1840 seated dime as I use a Minelab GT or Explorer, but have used the MXT many times and feel it really is a fun detector to use and can really get the coins with it.

Rick

While there is no 'perfect' operating frequency, I have to admit I have a liking for the 6.59 kHz models White's has offered in more recent years.

While there is some merit to the benefits of using higher or lower frequencies for coin hunting, a fair amount of what is discussed is based on 'theory.' There is a lot more involved in the process of metal target location and discrimination than simply the operating frequency.

Come March I will wrap up my first forty-two years in this great hobby and as I reflect back on most of my better finds made since the mid-to-late '70s when we started using VLF (Ground Balanced), VLF/TR-Disc., and later the VLF-Disc. (motion) detectors, the bulk of my better finds have been made using models that operates in the 6.59 kHz through 15 kHz range.

During the 'reflecting' the one most important key to success has not been the operating frequency, but the site selection. LOCATION has played the biggest role in my success, followed by operator (knowledge, skill, patience, detector set-up) and a close third factor is the detector (operating frequency, discrimination characteristics, sweep speed requirement/allowance, search coil selection, ground adjust ability, etc.).

Considering the models of detectors that provided me with the highest volume of jewelry and coins (both new and old), from a variety of sites (also both new and old), in relation to the time used, I've had a good mix of frequencies used. The 6.59 kHz White's XLT, XL Pro, Classic III SL, and Classic ID/IDX Pro; 15 kHz Garrett Ground Hog, Gold Mountain VIP, King Cobra and GMT-1650; 10 kHz to 12.5 kHz Tesoro Silver Sabre, Inca, Silver Sabre II, Silver Sabre

Thanks Monte,
I love my prizm IV and have just gotten it 2 weeks ago. My dad however has always wanted MD as well and is thinking about taking mine an letting me upgrade to a better one. Xlt would be great but cost is a factor. so i have been leaning toward m6 or mxt but being new to hobby I have had hard time determining which one . Thanks for the info.
Paul TNHnter

Monte, your experience and knowlage is what my wife and:twodetecting: I needed THANKS Mery christmas to you and your's.
Littleman

You've got nothing to lose by using the Prizm IV. It has good performance in most ground conditions. Learn it and master it. You can upgrade later to an M6 or MXT. I'd wait until White's has another Special, hopefully by Springtime. Don't be Baited or pushed into something you may not be ready for.:chase:

Check out the www.jimmysierra.com and check out the Bigfoot Prizm Field Test. You can gleam some tuning tips from it.

Monte is far far wiser than I. But, I have used most of the various coils, and I have come to a different conclusion. Yes, it depends on the conditions to determine the best coil for the job. Nevertheless, on my MXT, 90% of the time now I use the DD 6X10 Eclipse. I find it works great for just about anything, including coins. I had the 5.3 Eclipse, and I ended up getting rid of it. I found that the 6X10 was much more stable, so I could turn the gain up more to increase the depth. But, the main issue was pinpointing. The 6X10 is a piece of cake to PP with. You make a simple crisscross grid, and you are right on target. The 5.3 was a pain, the target could be anywhere under the coil, it was a pain. The shape of the 5.3 coil was nice in wooded or brush areas, and that's about it. I would recommend the DD 6X10 Eclipse. This coil will do you right, in just about any condition.

Just my humble opinion,
HH, Jeff