Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Years Snooping ....Part 1-2-3

Ron J

On New Years Day, I was bored to death in the morning, needed to get out and do some snooping. Didn't want to waste the day off, helping the Honey, to dismantle every room in the house,removing and packing Christmas decorations! Its bad enough i had brought in a dozen or so,plastic crates,the night before, from the shed, for her to fill! :D She can't pack for $het! I could use 10 of those crates,where as Linda needs 25! But its worth it,so i don't need to be there! :D I pay for my snooping, when i return, and need to carry all 25 crates in to the shed!! Back to the story...I called my brother Al, figuring he'd like to jump ship also! He did! "Where we going" he asked, myself replying, "who cares, just bring your camera!". Well, i headed to Boston, knowing it would be deserted. Flew down Rte 93, through the Big Dig tunnel, out to South Station,and headed for the waterfront! You know it looks all developed,but surprisingly there are many dumpy,rundown areas still around. Love that!! Snoopcity!! Just don't be afraid to drive down back alleys, through open gates,behind old warehouse's etc.,places you don't belong. If this stuff holds you back,your gonna miss a lot if things you may not see too often. I was headed for Drydock #3, the place where i have showed different ships,being repaired/painted etc.,on the narrow backroads.This brought me my Drydock #2, which was run by General Dynamics, in the early part of the Big Dig Project. They were making sections, of large concrete tubes,which were actually sections of the Ted Williams Tunnel,which now runs under Boston Harbor,to Logan Airport. The sections were assembled in the drydock,floated out to the Harbor,and sunk. Then welded together,to form the Tunnel. This drydock has been abandoned for 10/15 yrs,and is always locked up by a chainlink fence. That always irritated the snort out of me!! So close,but unable to photo form any good height. I did take some photo's of the large gate,while on a small boat tour to see the Aircraft carrier,JFK,last year,but still lousy shots. Well to my amazement,the gates were wiiiiidddddeeee open!!! What a shame! It was like, someone giving me an invitation to come on in and snoop!! Yes Sir! Right Away Sir! :D I didn't feel brave enough to drive in,but Al and i had no problem walking in, armed with the camera;s. I got to tell ya,i love places like this!! I just smell the History.. Imagine how many ships were built here? or Naval vessels being in drydock during WWII? That is one hell of a hole! Cement crumbling everywhere.The railings were definitely not safe to lean on. See those blocks? About 6 to 8 ft square. How many ships sat on those things? I couldn't wait to get under those cranes.They are alot taller than you think,other wise, my arse would have climbed in them for a photo op,and personal tour!:D Maybe another time.[attachment 77388 NewYearsDayBostonHarbor001.jpg] [attachment 77389 NewYearsDayBostonHarbor015.jpg] I thought this little cow catcher was pretty cool, obviously there to safe your toes or hands.[attachment 77391 NewYearsDayBostonHarbor037.jpg] Remember,the three cranes moved around the whole perimeter,on railroad tracks,being propelled by those electric motors,i presume.[attachment 77392 NewYearsDayBostonHarbor019.jpg] Rj

if Linda didn't decorate the way she always does, you know you would be so-o-o-o-oo-o disappointed. I have 50 of those plastic boxes, (so feel sorry for Scott now), but I have them packed to the gills. I also wrap each and every ornament. I have way too much time and money invested in these not to. Anyway, I did cut back this year. Instead of 13 trees, I only had eight. Next year it's gonna be less,..............as I did not have ONE outside light put up this year!!!! Why? Hunting season! Hell has not fury............................well ya'll know the rest! :) I am glad you and Al had a good time on your New Years outing though! :biggrin:

If she didn't have so many goldarn shoes, dresses,skirts,blouses,dress jackets,winter coats pocketbooks etc,there would be room IN the house! Can never figure out, Summer clothes,Winter clothes,Spring & Fall! Whats wrong with good ol dungerees year round,with a couple of pairs of shorts? You don't need every color of the rainbow,and then some!!! Shoes? Can't two pairs cut it? NOOOOooo, need every shade of black, white, blue,red on an on...How bout belts?? Need 25 to 50 belts,again every color of the rainbow?? :crylol:

I have never actually seen anything like that dry dock area in your photos. One of these days I kinda wish that Debbie and I could do some traveling back east to see some of the things that you have written about with the posted pictures. You folks have so much history in your area. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

she packs in so many boxes! Photos of Christmas trees never show their true beauty though! Tell her she did great on the tree! :)

I suspect that you just chunked the decorations into the open boxes until they were full, then slapped the lid shut...then next year you will blame poor old Scott for the mess! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :rofl: :jump: :rofl:

Heading down a few blocks, we arrived at Drydock #3. This place is very active. They must have a Naval contract, cause this is the 3rd Naval vessel,i have seen this year at this location. I should mention,what a drydock is? First they have the specs of the ship coming in for repairs.Then they align all those huge blocks in position,so the vessel sits on them evenly. They open the Caisson (that big wooden/steel/cement gate) and flood the massive hole with water,next bringing in the vessel. Once its in position,the water is pumped out completely,so the vessel is sitting on the blocks,like on dry land. Now the workers perform any necessary repairs to the hull. This vessel is currently sitting on the blocks. Naval Vessel, "LCPL Roy W Wheeler". This is what the Navy calls a "positioning vessel" There are a handful of them in the fleet, with a minimum crew aboard. They are always ready to sail within a 24 to 48 hour period, to supply our troops with any needed supplies/trucks/tanks,whatever. I read this vessel was named after a brave young soldier,who triggered a mine in Nam. He pounced on it,killing himself,but stopping injury to his fellow soldiers. This vessel used to be a container ship,was lengthened considerably for its present use.[attachment 77402 NewYearsDayBostonHarbor068.jpg][attachment 77403 NewYearsDayBostonHarbor054.jpg] [attachment 77404 NewYearsDayBostonHarbor055.jpg] [attachment 77405 NewYearsDayBostonHarbor078.jpg] This container ship,was waiting for unloading just around the corner. This is also what the "Wheeler" looked like before its present job.

n/t