Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New SEF Coil

Hi Big G, no problem. I try to avoid overstating or endorsing anything unless I've had a long enough relationship with the item to sample it in different locations. With so many variables to change on the V3i and toss in the possibilities of interference that hunt locations can pose many if us have had differing experiences

Hi Ytcionshooter sounds good to me all my detecting is done on farm land no EMI problems,did you get it from bulgaria? REGARDS GARY..:thumbup:

Big G - my coil was purchased from Kellyco in Florida, USA. I think you will be pleased. After you get some time with it please share your impressions. It should hit well on small hammereds if I can judge by the small items I've found with it.
HH-Bruce

Ytcoinshooter said:
Big G - my coil was purchased from Kellyco in Florida, USA. I think you will be pleased. After you get some time with it please share your impressions. It should hit well on small hammereds if I can judge by the small items I've found with it.
HH-Bruce

Well you sold me on one. I had an 12x15 in the original non-vrated and it worked but was costing me gold. I just ordered the 10x12 and cant wait to try it. I have hit my house to death and a couple of fields to where there is no more non ferrous metals left. Maybe this coil will bring some new life to the yard.

Ytcoinshooter said:
HH-Bruce
Hi Bruce might be two or three months till i can use it, with fields being crop ed,wondered if kellyco got a consignment from Bulgaria anyway i Will let you know how it goes when i use it.thank you very much for your help..BIG G.. :beers:

Hello all,

i have been watching this thread but this is my first comment. I looked at KellyCo and they have the black SEF for all spectras/DFX/MXT/M6 and then right beside it it has a white SEF for the VX3/V3i same price and they have them for all the different sizes of coils The V3i is still a spectra right? I wonder if there are any differences besides color? I dont have one yet but i do want one. I have had my V3i for about a month now and i am starting to get the hang of it. Boy did i dig a ton of trash at first until i learned a lot on here and youtube.

Harry

burlbark, while you are waiting for the 12x10" SEF you could try the 15x12" you have running stereo mix mode. Set it up hot and dig the deepest targets that might not give a disc signal but sound soft in the all metal channel and pinpoint 8" plus. Very Small non ferrous targets may read deeper than they are and might not push the disc audio much over threshold hum. Just an idea.
Now you have me thinking that I need to do some testing with my 15x12" on my Sov GT to see how small a gold target it will hit. I already know the stock 10" coil on my GT doesn't like small hollow 14k earrings. I'll have to bring someitems to thesaltwater beach to see if I'm missing much. I know on rings and coins that bigger SEF is crazy deep, 18" on a quarter in the wet sand.
Good luck!

The tread explained it, only the white one will work on the Spectra series the way it should. The black one cannot handle the 22.5 kHz.

Ytcoinshooter said:
burlbark, while you are waiting for the 12x10" SEF you could try the 15x12" you have running stereo mix mode. Set it up hot and dig the deepest targets that might not give a disc signal but sound soft in the all metal channel and pinpoint 8" plus. Very Small non ferrous targets may read deeper than they are and might not push the disc audio much over threshold hum. Just an idea.
Now you have me thinking that I need to do some testing with my 15x12" on my Sov GT to see how small a gold target it will hit. I already know the stock 10" coil on my GT doesn't like small hollow 14k earrings. I'll have to bring someitems to thesaltwater beach to see if I'm missing much. I know on rings and coins that bigger SEF is crazy deep, 18" on a quarter in the wet sand.
Good luck!

I sent the 15x12 back to Kelly co a year ago. I did a preorder on the "v3i rated coil" and they sent me the black one, thats the only one that was available at the time. I tried it out and did not like that I could not maximize the 22.5 frequency.

Will report back when the 10x12 shows up. Here is the thread from the 15x12 early non v-rated coil.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,1282055

Hi Ytcoinshooter just ordered the 12x10 white sef coil for the V3i..:bouncy:

burlbark, thanks for the link to old 15x12 thread. I think you and Big G will be pleased with the 12x10". I was out with it a few times before last weekend. The site I was at last weekend had deep targets and I really appreciated the way it hit on them. The area was large and the extra coverage worked well to my advantage. Too bad I couldn't have compared the signals prior to digging with the stock DD. The 10"DD is a good performer and some people will be perfectly satisfied to only add a smaller coil to their arisenal. Looking forward to hearing field reports for people just trying out the white SEF coils.
HH-Bruce

hello Ytcoinshooter.

any chance you could do a quick airtest in your backyard with your stock d2 coil, 10x12, and 15x12 on a silver quarter or dime?

would love to know how that comes out. id rather you do it in tough conditions and you said your yard was tough.

maybe just a standard cj program or deep silver. whatever is easiest, as im lookin at both those sef coils.

thx.

Hey supafly 136, I'll give it a try when sometime but its raining and nasty here for today and tomorrow. I'm not a big fan of air tests but they can help illustrate the field of sensitivity, probably more useful than trying to determine depth capabilities. A side note: with a new or different detector I will sometimes do an air test but it's not an absolute measure of the depth capabilities.
Now regarding the SEF coils I have a white 12x10" for the V3i and a 15x12" I run on the Sov GT at the beach and sometimes use a harness or swingy type thing if I'm out for extended periods with the 15".
The 12x10" on the V is not so heavy and it's well balanced. Swinging it in brush it hangs up on twigs. One thing to remember and it's been stated elsewhere that the larger coil will see more ground (and the more targets in close proximity - not so desirable). My preference is the 12x10" as an alternative to the D2 coil. To say which coil is deeper on a coin is less important to me that the fact the SEF goes no less as deep, maybe a little more but sure does cover more area, has good separation and does not overload at higher settings. The D2 may be the best all around coil for the V and the SEF 12x10" the best alternative when a smaller search loop is not required due to the trash concentration. An in ground test is where I'd like to push the 12x10 vs the D2, where I can crank the sens and turn on TX boost. When I get a chance I'll try an air test.
Regards!

superb. thx man. no rush lol.

the main thing i will be looking for in an extra coil for my v3i is

1. a coil that handles emi better than the d2 - i hunt sometimes directly under powerlines in farm fields
2. a deeper, larger surface coil for farm fields

i dont care too much bout the extra weight.

p.s. my soil here is very mild

thx again for all the info youve posted

supafly136 said:
1. a coil that handles emi better than the d2 - i hunt sometimes directly under power lines in farm fields
2. a deeper, larger surface coil for farm fields

1) With any coil on the V3i you can try the different frequencies one at a time and use the frequency offset feature to see if it lowers the effect of emi. The 22.5 kHz is known to handle emi better. I suggest you try the frequencies and offset with the D2 first while deciding on an acessory coil. The SEF did not have noise issues (emi) any more than the D2 in the sites I have visited, but I have not made purposeful comparisons re emi. Lowering the gain may help too in combination with your kHz choice and offset.
Although this is not relevant to the V3i I will tell you that the 6.59 kHz Whites detectors used to have a coil available through Applied Creativity / Jimmy Sierra that ignored 60 cycle power lines and just flat out was the best. It also worked under metal obstacles in the all metal mode without sensing the metal above the coil...if I remember. It was the 6" Eliminator. Unfortunately it is not made anymore, but I have one stashed away. I used it in a colonial site that had huge high tension wires nearby and pulled out my first 1/2 real over 20 years ago using it. Previous visits to that site without the Eliminator proved nearly impossible to detect there. That little coil hit hard on dimes 6 - 7" deep. In fact yesterday I met a fellow detectorist who lives next to the site and called it "almost unhuntable" with his M6.
2) The SEFcoils will give you the coverage you are looking for. I'm very happy with mine.

I'll let you know what I find for noise readings with the 2 coils in my yard that has some emi. Meanwhile try the offsets, especially in 22.5 kHz.
HH!

again, awsome info.

yes ive tested the diff frequencies, gain, filters in most of the default programs. i should have stated that for you, my bad.

yesterday i was at the edge of one of my fields i hunt in massive emi.
i took an old 4 inch metal canning jar lid, ground balanced and air tested it in many diff frequencies.
the absolute deepest air test resulted in deep silver, am 100, am audio, gain 12 tx boost on.
i hit it at 26 inches solid. 28-30 inches was iffy.
now i know thats going to be diff in the ground.
and the signal at those settings was 70. not optimal i know, but just wanted an idea. i also tested an 8gram silver ring and a newer 1oz silver dollar at those settings also.
9-11 inches on the ring and 16 on the dollar easy.
i will be testing these same coins and lid in the ground at same area tomorrow for the real world settings with as little signal numbers as possible.
i know razorback coils makes a folded 8 type coil that is supposed to cancel emi but i dont think they make coils for vlf machines. mostly pi like minelab and tdi.

My sef 10x12 is absolute junk. It just came in the mail today and wont run a gain past 4 without running away. It overloads completely at 13. I spend allot of time using my detector and waited a week for the coil to get here only to get one that missed ever quality control check in the business. So now I have to pay to send it back to Kelly co?:veryangry:

man thats terrible, and exactly what im afarid will happen to me. everything ive read says its pretty much hit or miss. did u get the black or white one?

ive got a few test to try to get done on my stock coil today, but was really hopin to get an sef after i hear some more from Ytcoinshooter. he seems to have gotten a nice one.

Results seem to vary greatly. I will be testing a new white coil this weekend and I heard that it overloads in the Boost mode. NOT GOOD. Quality control, or the lack of it, needs to be improved, if not by the manufacture, at least Kellyco could take the 5 minutes to test each coil when they come in. Maybe you can ask that the coil be tested before shipment (good luck) or at least get a statement that Kellyco will pay the return freight if you get a defective coil.

Hope it won't damage the detector,if you have any warrenty left.Whites told me if you try the sef made in Bulgeria (not made by Whites) even though they claim to be v rated,it would kill the warrenty.Kellyco's been very good overall.