Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

new kid on the block

Novice Ron

Hello To All,
My name is Ron and I'm only at this great hobby since Oct. I am retired and 74 years young so I can hunt most anytime I desire. I have passed the $300 in coin mark but mostly clad as I hit some never detected honey holes. I am presently using an AT Pro . I bought a like new Whites Treasure Pro for a back-up and would like any info from anyone using this detector. It's snow and cold here in Eastern PA so I have not been out to test the Whites. I am interested to learn the best settings and such from someone experienced. All advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Novice Ron

Ron , welcome to the forum.
Best advice I can give is get your 10 posts in so you can receive private messages:thumbup:

Hello To All,
I just may get to go detecting by the end of this week as the weather is getting better. Please keep your messages coming as I need all the good coaching I can get.
Like I said before, I think I have done well in the time I am doing this. I forgot to say also, I have found one gold 14K ring and also a sterling silver ring. I have not been out hunting for almost 3 weeks due to bad weather. The old bones can't handle the severe cold.
Good Luck To All,
Novice Ron

Welcome to the forum from Ron in WV to Ron in PA.

So if I am reading this right you have found more than $300 in coins since Oct last year. Now if that is correct you are going to regret your forum name [size=large]Novice[/size] Ron. LOL

Good Hunting, you are doing something right.

Ron in WV

Hi Ron from WVA,
Yep, you are reading the coinage right. Actually the total in clads is almost $350. I was lucky and had access to three good sports stadiums and several outdoor flea market grounds. I am almost positive non were ever hunted. I want to go back and try the Whites machine to see if I missed anything with my AT Pro. I must admit I do hunt hard and long and have learned a lot watching videos and reading all the good advice from all you seasoned vets. Your knowledge is worth it's weight in gold. I hope to hunt by the end of this week if the white stuff disappears.
Good luck to all and save a few for me !!!
Novice Ron

Best of luck Ron, you're off to a fine start!

I never totaled my clad...but I'm positive it took me waaaaaay longer than three months to reach $350 of it.

My advice sure isn't worth its weight in gold, but here's at least a couple grams of zinc for you:

If you have the patience, try bringing both your detectors when you go over the grounds again. After you find a good target with the new detector, check it with the original detector you used. It's easy to miss stuff because of user error. And because of masking, a lot of times a target will give a good signal from one angle but not another. My guess is that the vast majority of good targets you find will hit well on both detectors.

Hello To All,
I like your suggestion about taking both detectors to my honey holes to see if both detect a good signal. I am sure there are still a few coins left someplace. I have watched all the videos I could find on the Whites Treasure Pro so I do have some idea how to use it. I really love metal detecting and I try to be very thorough with hunting and set-up of my machine. The AT Pro has done a pretty good job for me so far. I do have a question on a problem I had at one of the sites I hunted. I get a lot of interference at a certain area at this sports stadium. My detector buzzes and goes bonkers. I think there are large underground electrical conduits underground. I was able to dig some coins there but I am sure there are more that I am having trouble finding because of the crazy humming and buzzing I am getting. I did turn down sensitivity but the machine still buzzes and goes crazy in that area. Has anyone out there had this problem ?? What is the solution ?
I must say I have been disappointed with the older sites I've tried. I have not found any good silvers and only a few wheat pennies. I have some new areas to try but I need the snow to clear.
Well, here's to no snow and good signals !!
Novice Ron

Ron, don't get discouraged by not finding silver coins to often, they don't come around often and when they do they are usually deep. I live in WV and last year I found three silver coins all year long and all of them where 6" deep or more, I don't hunt but about 2 or three times a month but when I hunt it's a whole day. You can do the math and see that's not much silver per hour and each year it's getting tougher.
Just guessing, I'd bet all your coin finds are 5" depth or less and now days there's not much silver at those depths. When the ground gets soft take a dime and bury down 8" and see how it sounds with your detector and then you'll get an idea on what it sounds like, it's a different sound.
Welcome to the forum, look forward to hearing from you.

Hello All,
The white stuff is starting to melt. Ho-Ray !!!. My temp is actually gone up to 42.1 and the sun is shinning. Looks like I may get metal detecting by Friday. I am anxious to use the Whites Treasure
Pro and get used to different sounds and readings. I live in the country and on the winter side of the mountain so I don't get good sun until 1:00 PM.
I need warmer so my old bones can withstand the bending and digging. Help !! I've fallen and can't get up. No funny !!! Does anyone have an answer to my crazy readings on the buried underground conduits ? Stay warm and no more snow PLEASE.
Novice Ron

Ron, your under ground conduits may not be under ground at all, they may be power lines above you? Power lines will reek havoc with your metal detector if you get close to them. If there isn't any power lines close by there could be a large buried metal structure like metal piping or buried electrical wires. Now that you have two detectors see if both machines have the same reaction, if they do just move on and forget that area.

Hi Still Looking 52,
There are no overhead lines but I am almost positive there are electrical lines in conduits in this area. This is a large high school football and track stadium with large lights. I was an electrician all my working life and am positive this is my problem. I hate to give up on this area because I know there are more coins to be found there. Guess I'm a die hard ?? I will try my Whites machine to see if I get the same results I have gotten with my AT Pro. A lot of the coins found at this site are almost orange in color when I find them. Iron content in the soil ?? Maybe I'll get to try by Friday. Thanks for the ideas.
Novice Ron

Hay Novice Ron, just so you know Still Looking 52 is one of my brothers the other is MarkCZ we all hunt together when we get the chance.

Overhead or under ground is about the same for a detector, the EMI will just about stop you from hunting. You can turn down the sensitivity and that may give some help but you may not get a lot of depth.

I spend a full day under some power lines which is a overflow parking area that is used a lot when a big show comes to town. As best as I can remember a few clad coins, like under 10. I know this area is old and it has been used for parking since I was a kid and I am 69 now.

Don't think I will be going back there.

Ron in WV

Hi WV 62,
I am sure you are right and know what you are talking about. I am still going to try one more time in that area before I totally give up. I know for a fact there are more coins to find there. This sports stadium has produced almost $170 in clads. I doubt it was ever hunted before and it's almost within walking distance from my home. When the snow is gone, I have a few older spots I want to try. I have not done well in any older spot yet. A few wheat pennies but no silver. I even found two old horseshoes. I am going bonkers just sitting in the house. Cleaned up all my clads and coppers.
Good luck and happy hunting.
Novice Ron

Hello Ron,
I am going back to the stadium when the snow is gone. I had some signals there I did not dig. I want to try the Whites machine anyway so it's a quick test and just maybe I will find a few clads. I am going bonkers sitting around so I'll do some quick detecting in a few isolated areas. My take to this spot is that if I get most of the coins out of there this year when I hunt there later this year after the stadium has been used a lot the coins will be fairly shallow. The same idea for my outdoor flea markets. I do have a few new places to try but I need better weather and no snow. I walked way back in the woods in the 2017 fall to an old fallen down farm house. Very disappointed, all bad targets. Nails, bottle caps, and such. No goodies at all ?? Go Figure!!! The farm is quite old too.
I guess sometimes you get the peanuts and sometimes you get the shells !!! I am sure we all have had these disappointing experiences. Oh well, just " chillin " and waiting for no snow cover and at least 40 degree temps.
Good luck and great hunting,
Novice Ron in PA

Hello To All,
If nothing else, my driveways are melted and clear of ice and snow. I may just go out tomorrow and try some digging. There is still snow on the ground but it's not all that deep. I suppose I can get signals?? I must see if the ground is frozen tomorrow and that will determine if it's a go or no-go. I am going to try my Whites Treasure Pro machine that I just picked up recently and see how that does. I want to get as much as I can from the flea markets and sports stadiums now. I will hunt them later this year when there has been activity at all of them. I hope this will make them easier to hunt and the coins won't be so deep ?? Good idea, maybe ? I sure wish I had a friend to hunt with but it seems no one here close to me is into metal detecting. I don't know if there is a blog on this site for hunting buddies ? Remember, I'm a newbee.
Have fun and good hunting,
Novice Ron

n/t

There is a forum for finding hunting buddies here.