Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New digging tool...and some finds...FIRST SILVER!!!

Wonderful finds Everett, congrats!

The Planters Buddy is a fine tool for the money, but if you use it thinking it's built like a tank at some point you'll break it.

I learned the hard way not to use it like a crowbar with big iron. You can do that with a Lesche or Predator, but the tang on the Planters Buddy is small and only goes a little ways into the handle and it will break if you put too much pressure on the blade.

When I broke the blade I sent it in to Ames and they replaced it for free so it only cost me the $5.00 to ship it to them.

I use a Lesche now and it's definitely a better digger, but there a couple things I prefer about the Buddy.

I like the graduations on the blade so you know exactly how deep you are. And since it's a lot cheaper, I don't worry about wearing down the blade when I sharpen it.

Two unique finds Steamer!
Take your time at a location like that. Study the geography and try to figure the layout and traffic of the old homestead.
It might give you an opportunity to learn your machine with some good scores in between.
Detecting it during the daytime might help as well as its harder to refill holes(do everything) in the dark.

steamer70 said:
funny thing is I almost didnt even dig it,it kept bouncing from peny...dime...penny dime....so just in case I dug,6 inches down,pulled out the dirt and scan the hole and nothing,tried the pinpointer...nothin, check the dirt out of the hole...bingo!!!! found the penny,filled the hole and scanned it again before I put the plug back and got another beep again,this time just penny????pinpointed the dirt in the hole and bingo!!!! the 3 cent piece...crazy :blink:...
I cant wait to go back this weekend
Always dig penny/dime. It's one detectings Cardinal Rules.
As you've learned, to violate it could leave you in the lurch.

And might I suggest you NOT go back at midnight again. To be given permission does not generally mean you are welcome in the middle of the night.
Many would consider that presumptuous, at best.

I know Dave,
As I look past the excitement,it was wrong to go so late,but in my defense it is just accross the street from our subdivision...and the house on both sides are empty,I doubt I was there 30 min max....but you are right...consideration noted :thumbup:
OH ya and the house is partly burnt down,no one lives there....:look:

steamer70 said:
OH ya and the house is partly burnt down,no one lives there....:look:
My son was living there until recently, and he had some comments to make about some of the more, er... "questionable residents." DO be careful around that abandoned house, okay?

"My son was living there until recently, and he had some comments to make about some of the more.."
You live in Mooresville or your son?????The house has been abandon since the 50s.....

OOOOOHHHHH,
I didnt see in the heading where you said "I see you're in Mooresville"....now it makes sense...lol
Oh ya I know all about this town and the owners of some of these house,but thanks for the heads up....
And I traded the ps3 for the XLT....I took it out in the yard and found almost $2.00 in change in the same place I had searched with the Ace 250....even found my first wheatie...a 1957
I think I made the right choice with the XLT....plus now I have a two fisted arsenal...lol
Thanks again for the help Dave :thumbup:

there is a short video on the history channel on a show called pawn stars, he actually talks about that three cent nickel...some were silver and some were nickel.

http://www.history.com/video.do?name=Pawnstars&bcpid=28597079001&bclid=29436749001&bctid=29617844001

Believe it or not a friend of mine actually got one of these in his change at a convenience store recently.
Guess they thought it was a dime. Dated 1866.

Some kid probably stole it from his grandfather's coin collection.

Here's a stock photo from a coin site of what they look like: