Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Cortes...

chowbox

Hi guys!

Got a new Cortes on the way. I know not many care for them but I have been curious about this model since 2001 and I cant wait to finally try one out. Anyone here care to share some tips or stories about things you have dug with yours? I hope I didn't make a mistake as I was hoping to use it for coins and jewelry. Will this model pickup older coins as well?

Thanks in advance.

Scott C.

I have wanted to try one these machines as well, but I have held back getting one because of preset ground balance. I think you will like it but you may not get the depth of a machine with manual GB. Now I am not saying you will only detect surface coins, the machines I have run in the past with preset GB have done pretty well on depth.

I would say it will detect all coins old and new with the right disc setting.

Congrats, let us know how you like it.

Ron in WV

The Cortes does fine on coins and jewellry. I would say you will have no problem down to 8 or 9 inches, although the display (like all others) will not be that accurate at depth. Rely on the sounds. The Cortes has excellent audio as we've come to expect from all Tesoros. I never found the preset GB to be a problem. The battery life is ridiculous. I went 60 hours on a set, and that's with some use of the backlight as well. I bought one in 2008 and stuck with one old school the whole summer. My oldest find was a 1918 silver Newfoundland dime. I pulled over 1000 coins out of that school yard, and that was just the back yard. I never did detect the front.

On Canadian coins, if the display flashed a 95 even once I dug. I found that to be a good indication of a coin, regardless of where the numbers settled. I never got much use out of the Sum mode. I found I could just dig the target in less time then swinging back and forth waiting for the tones to settle. I believe I used the notch, but I can't say for sure.

All in all, an excellent machine. I was an idiot for selling mine, because I had sent it in after talking to James on the phone, and it came back hot! There are only a few machines I regret parting with, and that was one of them.

Good luck with your new Cortes.

Dan

The specifications indicate that the Cortes has manual GB. I also read that it's only in AM mode.
I hunt in AM a lot, as I hate quiet, so that would be okay with me.

Well, you will be finding out soon, pal.
I WANT ONE TOO.

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I am hoping that I bond with the Cortes. I love the small footprint and the mix of technology it brings. It should be here tomorrow and I plan to hunt as soon as it gets here. I will keep y'all posted on how it goes.

Best Regards...

Scott

My Deleon is it's little brother and it's preset. I have no issues in my lower Michigan dirt.
Mine was used and had to send it in, but it's a phenomenal coin shooter. That's what I use it for.
There are three things to pay attention to, first and most important the tone. Like all tesoros you can tell alot from the tone.
Then there are the graphs and VDI number. But rely mostly on tone and use the other two to help.
At first I dug it all to compare the readings to what was actually in the ground. It's pretty dang accurate but was fooled a couple time.
You'll enjoy the machine :)

I've had the Cortes and Deleon. I liked them both. Both are pretty deep machines. I've hit Dimes 9 inches down. The Cortes has more features. The target I'd's work well on both. I found that sometimes (mostly with deepish targets) the read outs want to jump about a bit, but if you shorten your sweeps and are very careful to have the coil not shift off of the center of the target then the read out becomes much more consistent. Ever that deep dime had fairly consistent, enough that I dug it.

I have absolutely no trouble with the preset GB, here in South Georgia. No annoying buzzing.

Rusty, at Tesoro, told me by phone, if he were hunting coins in South Georgia, the Tesoro detector he would pack would be the DeLeon. With the stock 9x8 concentric coil. That was good enough for me.

Plus the Cortes has that sum mode which does some cool stuff I've read but I don't know much about it. Multiple times though I think.

I'm on my second Deleon. Sold my first one and regretted it. Both in my estimation are powerful and sensitive machines. They will find the small and deep targets, relatively speaking. What I like about my Deleon is the ease of use. It really is just a turn on and go TID machine. One that has a good analog audio. I just purchased a new 11x8 RDS coil for it and am itching to go try it out just haven't had time. Some preliminary testing in my coin garden shows some change in the TID readings. It doesn't lock in on nickels like the stock coil. Hope this helps.

My Cortes is about 11 years old. And Stoof is right about tone. It will tell you almost everything you need to know. The display does dance around little as he said but on mine if it says nickel, 9 times out of 10 it is.I don't really know how to describe it, but nickels give off a real mellow tone that once you know it you will love it.

Been using one for 2 years and I like it. It goes about as deep as I want to dig and like others have said, it is great at coins and jewelry.

I have considered selling my Deleon and getting a Cortes. Just don't know how much of a upgrade it would be. Any thoughts?

wheatymike said:
I have considered selling my Deleon and getting a Cortes. Just don't know how much of a upgrade it would be. Any thoughts?

I have both and prefer the DeLeon due to the larger screen and it works fine with the preset ground in my area. Depth, etc. are very close to equal between my pair.

BB

I thought the Cortez has an adjustable GB???

pablo61 said:
I thought the Cortez has an adjustable GB???
Only affects all metal.
The GB is tied to the processor for disc like the Deleon. If you messed with the GB you would mess with how the readout interprets things.

I live in Alabama and have pretty bad dirt. I've owned these Tesoro detectors:

Silver uMax
Bandido II uMax
Tejon
Vaquero
DeLeon

Never had the Cortes, but I would assume it's pretty close to the DeLeon in performance.

The DeLeon was far and above the deepest Tesoro I've ever used in my red dirt. Yes, even though the GB is preset. The Tejon was second, but I believe the frequency really hindered it, as well as the Vaquero. They both airtested very good, almost as good as the DeLeon, but in ground was a fairly big difference.

I really screwed up when I sold it.

It's funny but even scannerguy on YouTube was surprised with the Deleon. It's a sleeper.
I have the smaller 7" Troy coil so it's not gonna punch that deep, but I never really tested it. I usually just coin shoot with it, but as I've said before, I'm gonna try and expand that detector to more general hunting.
I'm happy with my Deleon

Stoof-tabsallday said:
It's funny but even scannerguy on YouTube was surprised with the Deleon. It's a sleeper.
I have the smaller 7" Troy coil so it's not gonna punch that deep, but I never really tested it. I usually just coin shoot with it, but as I've said before, I'm gonna try and expand that detector to more general hunting.
I'm happy with my Deleon

Actually, that was my DeLeon in Scannerguy's video.

I'm "Chase from Alabama" lol :wiggle: