Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Never buy your mother a MONKEY! ...............part 2-3 etc

Wayne in BC

Dec23 1964, a date which, according to My Sis, Bro Kenny, and my Dad was when they really started to plan my murder!:biggrin:
I was 19 years old, full of myself, and would not have been smart enough to be scared anyhow....

My Mother was the most "complete" woman, or actually "person" i have ever known. She was a Saskatchewan farm girl, one of 8 or 9 kids. She was in the Army during WW11 where she met my Dad, with me being the reason she was out a bit early;)

Mother was always the first to try something new or embark on a sometimes goofy adventure. From prowling abandoned farm or mining houses in search of old time articles to making a midnight dash off the road into a 100 acre cornfield and thinking she was bad for taking 6 cobs:shocked:.

She would smile when things were tough and we needed meat as she dropped me and the .22 off way out on the prairie with instructions to get a "kings goat" and we would get it after dark. The nearest house to us at that time in east central Alberta (uncles ranch) was 5-1/2 miles away, but you could see it!
When the deed was done she would can the meat as we had no deepfreeze and a rented locker in a town 20 miles away was no place to try and hide deermeat.

She was the one who suggested we get a boat and learn to water ski in the early 60's. It was her idea to get our first snowmobile in 1965 when they were so uncommon and new that some farmers would report us to the cops as a UFO!

It was she who saw to it that i was able to spend time in the wilderness and learn the craft of survival, which in those days was just everyday life.

Such a host of things that i am grateful for, i hasten to add that my Dad was a career military man and a super loving and kind father, but he was absent mostly, between the Korean war and his job of traveling from base to base training soldiers, he was away a whole lot while i was growing up so mother was both parents much of the time.

So it was Christmas 1964 and i was obsessing about what to get for the mother that i so hugely loved. I had saved some money so i was feeling flush that Christmas, i was confounded though because even with extra money i just could not bring myself to give the usual, to me, "trite" gifts. Then it hit me! Gee you dummy i thought, Mom has often said while seeing them on TV and at the Zoo, how she would love to have a Monkey for a pet, now Mom did not hardly ever covet anything, more usually she would do without to give to us!........i grabbed the yellow pages, phoned and found out that they had just gotten one in, having only recently been allowed to sell them. Now that bit about just having gotten one in was a lie i figured out later but i headed for the petshop, excited as heck and truly proud of myself.

I knew less than zero about Monkeys and the TV had always pictured them in those days as cute lovable little characters so the petshop owner had the perfect mark! Little did i know that there are Lot's of kinds of Monkeys but there are very few good Monkeys, specifically, nearly none of them of the breed i bought, besides it was all he had. The owner assured me that this Squirrel Monkey was perfect! Young, only a year old and did not bite much.....bite?!! said i........well, he said, they are good when they get to know you and he promptly opened the cage while proffering some grapes. The little character squalled and leaped onto his shoulder, where, while he devoured the grapes i was encouraged to pet him. Gingerly i put out a hand, stroking the smooth fur while the two faced little b#stard ignored me. Heartened by this i parted with 300 bucks, a fortune at the time as many of you will remember, then another 20 for a cage and we whisked him into the car after covering the cage with a blanket, it was 25 below outside and the guy cautioned me that Monkeys were tropical creatures and could get pneumonia darn quick!

With heater on full blast i headed home, roundly pleased with myself but a bit sad that the very special gift i had for Mom would not be under the tree and would be a couple days early, i had the only Monkey in hundreds of miles as the guy had just gotten permission to sell them in Alberta and i was taking no chance that someone else would buy it, kinda hard to hide a live Monkey:blink:

continued......

This is gonna be a goodun! If your squirrel monkey was anything like the one we had when I was a kid......@$#^%@@$$%&&^....nasty little...you KNOW what I mean! Don't wait long before posting the next part!

:rofl::rofl:.....this is gonna be good !! Hey...did I miss something a while back or did you forget about part two sneaking in thru the milkshoot. That's another dandy I was sitting on ! Don't keep us hangin' too long on the monkey.:) Your folks sound like great parents and people ! In truth, the way you described them puts them lightyears ahead of their time. Pretty cool !

Probably just as well. I might never have lived to see puberty!!! :lol:

sunny skies

M

i truly apologise. I spent a couple months in such pain that i could not sit as you know, and all the cheap drugs likely messed me up. Thats my story and i'm stickin to it!:biggrin: I will check it out.
Wayne

Please, don't wait too long for the next part! (I love how you described your mother. Sounds to me like she and I would have gotten along great!) :)

I got home about 2 hours before Mom got in from work, at that time she worked as a civilian office clerk for the Air force at CFB Namao just outside of Edmonton. Dad was stationed nearby at Griesbach army base and we lived in St Albert, just a few miles north of Edmonton.

My siblings were squabbling about something when i rushed through the snow and into the house with the Monkey cage, they both fell dead silent, then erupted with "what the $%@%$#!!" As i grinned and basked in their shock, we all gathered around the cage, at that point they thought i was a KING! What excitement! None of us had been up close and personal with a Monkey and they figured i had really scored!

Then i opened the cage:cry:.....
The little booger shot out in a heartbeat and climbed the drapes to the valance and promptly shat! Right down the drapes! He then began to play with himself :blink: which totally grossed my 15 year old sister and sent Kenny into apoplexy, the more he laughed the madder Sandy got and i guess i musta snickered some myself:devil:
Sandy made the point that i could have at least got Mom a girl Monkey!

Ok time to get past this and catch this weird little miscreant, no problem.....20 minutes, our fishnet, and everybody bit at least twice but we had him into the cage, wheeeeee!!!

After a bit of thought, i phoned Mom and asked her to bring home some grapes:biggrin: she was puzzled but said ok, probly thinking i was cooking up a dessert, heh heh. Kenny looked at me and said, grapes? Trust me i said. You see, i was the acknowledged "Monkey expert" right?

Later....Mom comes home:unsure:

in a good long while!!! Poor you, just trying to do something nice for your mother, and you get this MALE urchin monkey who plays with himself. I'm with your sister, Why did you not buy a poised, relaxed laid back female for your mother???

n/t

n/t

This is not the Squirrel Monkey from hell, but they all look the same to me:biggrin:[attachment 33332 squirrel-monkeys-08.jpg]

My siblings had the grace to allow me my big moment and when Mom came through the door and saw the cage sitting there with that little (aaarrgghhh!) cutie pie in it, and me saying, I wanted you to have the happiest Christmas Mom, I LOVE YOU:cheekkiss:.......Well she just melted, squealing in surprise and happiness! But before i could ask for the grapes she was at the cage cooeing........and that dang little traitorous creature put his widdle hands through the bars and blinking his eyes, chortled lovingly at her!:surprised:
Before i could move she had the cage open and the phoney beastie hopped to her shoulder and put his arms around her neck!
I had to give him credit, he was a heck of a judge of Moms, i swear this is true! He only bit her once, on the ear a few days later, she backhanded him across the room, he hopped back and loved her up, apologising, never doing it again, and the rest is history.

Me, Sandy, Dad, and Kenny learned to hate that little so and so, he hated us as well and would bite, scratch and swear at us every chance he got. Mom however was one happy lady and i could do no wrong for a very long time:biggrin:
Monkeys just love raw eggs, we learned the hard way. Mom had to be careful not to let him near them or he would grab an egg, run up the drapes or the lamp post and throw the egg down to break it, then hop down and happily lap it up. Mom put up with his messes and what not cause she loved that critter dearly and he loved only her. Mom had to cage him when company was coming (we wished she would all the time!) because if he took a dislike to a person he would sometimes crap and throw it at them!

Sandy got a bit of revenge one time which she truly enjoyed. We had a ping pong table and the balls looked like......hee hee EGGS! She would throw one on the carpet and laugh fit to bust as the monk tried time after time, throwing it down, jumping up again, on and on with Sandy laughing until the Monk was having a screaming fit!:lol:
That was Sandy's payback, dang Monk would steal her jewelery and earrings, then hide them, it took her days to find his stash, and when she did he would have another screaming fit.

Dad just tried to adjust and stay out of the Monks reach, cause the little turd would intentionally spill Dad's coffee any chance he got, he would wait until Dad got up from his chair, then run over and knock the cup over, then climp up high and monkeylaugh while Dad fumed. He claimed it just was not natural how that critter acted and i was often the recipient of an angry glare, Mom would save me tho:biggrin:

When we young ones had friends over they would gush about the cool Monkey (we would throw grapes in his cage before they came and lock him in to keep thenm safe) until they stuck a finger in the cage and got bit! It sorta depended on how much i liked someone as to what i would tell them. If i liked them i would tell them to keep fingers out, if i didn't like em much i would act shocked, saying, omygod! He never done that to anybody before.....must be something about you?:lol: So i guess the Monk had some redeeming qualities, just not enough!
Epilogue...
That petshop guy lied his face off! I found out much later that the nasty little creep had been returned three times! Oh well, God had planned him to be for Mom i guess:)

Years went by and one day in the winter the fool Monk got into the basement and refused to come out for some strange reason. After several days of Mom cajoling he finally slunk back up to his cage and moped. Pnuemonia had him and he died before anything could be done. Mom loved him and valued the years they had together:cheekkiss: Hi Mom, sorry for the tears, but you have been gone for soooooooo long.............

And a real tribute to your mother and her love for you and the little simian. Did he ever get outside into the trees? You would have had a difficult time getting him back I bet!!

Have a great weekend with Willy and Carol... and remember my offer. You ever want any of those items I told you about, please let me know.

Calm seas

M

on this Forum. I love it...it is so funny! I wonder if Alice would like to have one as a gift when she gets home from the hospital? Wayne, thanks for posting such an enjoyable story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

that I knew the second part couldn't help but be just as good ! Real life situations where we can laugh at ourselves make the best stories. And the way you write them makes them all that much better ! Down the road when time allows.....IF YOU FEEL UP TO IT.....it was just a hoot to read. :beers: