Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need Some V3 /V3i Feedback

UtahRich

Hey there guys,

I need some feedback from you on the V3 / V3i. :help: I typically hang out over in the Explorer/E-Trac :minelab: section as a long time Explorer XS user and more recently E-Trac'r. However, my longtime hunting partner had a detector breakdown a few years ago and has slipped into detector inactivity. He needs a replacement, bad. He had been using a White's 6000 Di Pro SL :whites: for years and years and it finally gave out on him. (It had been roughed up :stretcher: pretty hard and loaned out to folks in need) It finally gave out and wasn't fixable without a sizable investment; it needed replacement. Well, he junked it and has been out only once in the last four or five years. I finally persuaded him to hunt an old farmhouse and loaned him a CZ-5. He had a good time and would like to get back into it.

Being a diehard White's guy, he's looking at a V3, but is nervous about it. He's intimidated by all of the computerized detectors on the market and display screens with the dozens and dozens of options. In fact, the multi-tones of the old CZ-5 were confusing for him (holy toledo, there are only a few tones :blink: ). We've hunted side by side for years, so he's seen how my Explorer performed and more recently the E-Trac, and he is very impressed. Especially in the Minelab's ability to find coins in with rusty nails and stuff. But, he doesn't care for all the sounds the minelabs make. (Yes, he is aware I can change the number of tones on my E-trac) :nerd: He wants to get a top end detector but is afraid of all the settings. He doesn't was a beep and dig. He wants to be competitive with me and my E-trac. Target ID is a must and he is used to a depth gauge.

I've never used, no seen in use, a V3. I see that there are some die hard V3 users on the forum that make and post finds and would like some honest input of how easy or difficult it is to get a V3 up and working and to 'interpret' the display and take advantage of the abilities of the V3. He is primarily a coin and token hunter. Jewelry is iceing on the cake. He hunts a lot of old homes and is competitive by nature and I have a vested interest in him getting a really good detector so he is making good finds and wants to go hunting. I don't want to nudge him into a detector he is going to be overwhelmed by.

So what do you say?

Appreciated any feedback.

Thanks,

Rich (Utah)

Tell him to get an MXT to start with. It is an awesome detector and still simple to run. It cost a lot less and if he decides he wants to move up, then he can get a more high end unit.

Just my two cents worth.

Have you considered a Safari for him? Much more turn on and go, cheaper, and if he is mainly into coins, perfect.

Thanks for joining us Rich. If he is not comfortable with a CZ-5, I really don't think he would be happy with the V3. Although the V3 is easy to use with the factory programs, it is very time consuming to master and is very technical to understand all of the advanced features and how to best use them. We would be very happy to have him join us on the forum and be as much help as possible, but it sounds like the V might be quite intimidating to him. From what you describe, it sounds like he might be a good candidate for a MXT, a no slouch in the deep target area and easy to learn with excellent target ID. I hunt with a MXT user and she is tough competition.

Larry (IL) said:
Thanks for joining us Rich. If he is not comfortable with a CZ-5, I really don't think he would be happy with the V3. Although the V3 is easy to use with the factory programs, it is very time consuming to master and is very technical to understand all of the advanced features and how to best use them. We would be very happy to have him join us on the forum and be as much help as possible, but it sounds like the V might be quite intimidating to him. From what you describe, it sounds like he might be a good candidate for a MXT, a no slouch in the deep target area and easy to learn with excellent target ID. I hunt with a MXT user and she is tough competition.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I was trying to steer him towards an MXT, because I have heard good things about them and they appear to be a very capable detector and easy to use. But here again, I've not used one.

I am sure that whatever he gets will be intimidating at first, until he gets comfortable with it.

A few weeks ago, I drug him out to an old area I was hunting and found a deeper coin target that I thought was a wheatie and let him use my E-Trac to get an idea of what a deep coin sounded like. He was able to refind the target and pinpoint it and retrieved an older wheatie. Surprise! So, I think he is capable of learning. :clapping:

Maybe the question I should ask is if the V3 is learning friendly? I don't mind walking along with him helping him figure out the menu's, comparing signals and such as he gets the reins on a new detector. I found with my Minelab that even though there are a bundle of settings, once I found a set up I liked, there weren't a lot of changes to be made at each site. It the V3 similar?

thanks again for your thoughts.

Rich (Utah)

i have the v3-i and am very happy with it, i also hunt with a partner who uses the mxt, he has been using it a lot longer than i have been using the v-3i and he is kicking my butt on finds right now but i know that with practice and time i will be leaving him in the dust, lol
i beleive your friend would be over whelmed by the v-3i and probably should start with the mxt also, as larry stated he can always move up if he wishes.

hope this helps

sarge

I've been showing people how to use the V3 and they are having no "hard" learning curve at all. You only need to learn the basics and your up and running well. (When they figure something out on their own, they've been pumped and all smiles.) If your friend can tell the difference between what are core adjustments and what are mostly personalization, he'll love this machine immediately. When he can personalize it, he'll never want to go backwards in tech.

The MXT is one heck of a machine. But....it is no V3i. It's easier learn and will find tons of stuff. I've always done well with it when I've used one. However even, though I'm not as advanced as some guys around here, I know my own V3 programs well and kick but like I couldn't even begin to with the MXT. And it's getting better and better all the time.

I've been showing people how to use the V3 and they are having no "hard" learning curve at all. Yes Beep, that is the case if you show some people. The problem is some people are fine if they are shown but are not willing to experiment or try things on their own. Practice, practice, practice, I keep saying this.What can you hurt, nothing. Rob

I would also lean toward a MXT for him.

Thank you for all the great feedback. It is really appreciated. :thumbup:

Rich (Utah)