Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Monte or anyonelse who knows please

I'm trying to give my Tejon a chance but I still like the X70 best. I haven't learned much about the Tejon yet. It is light weight for old physically handicap but the extra digging is a negative.

So, to conclude my answer, I don't go by what any manufacturer puts in their literature until I prove it to be right or wrong for myself. In the case of the Cibola, and the Vaquero, as anyone using one can see by doing some simple bench test comparisons, they do adjust lower than the ED-120 designs, and maybe accept 165

[quote markg] True or false*** So the Vaquero would do better at hunting iron infested sites than the Tejon. Because it doesn't accept as low as the Tejon. And it wouldn't be as affected by masking![/quote]It is TRUE that IF you are hunting an iron trash infested site .. AND .. if both the Tej

[quote John LA]I'm trying to give my Tejon a chance but I still like the X70 best. I haven't learned much about the Tejon yet. It is light weight for old physically handicap but the extra digging is a negative.[/quote]John, are you referring to an old Compass Challenger X-70, or the newer Minelab X-Terra 70 (X-T 70)? I'm assuming you mean the X-T 70 and I think it is a decent new-concept model and the visual display information is quite functional, to a degree.

There is quite a difference in the way the Tesoro Tej

Now what approach should be used in an iron infested site with the Vaquero or Tejon to eliminate masking of good targets?

[quote Monte][quote markg] True or false*** So the Vaquero would do better at hunting iron infested sites than the Tejon. Because it doesn't accept as low as the Tejon. And it wouldn't be as affected by masking![/quote]It is TRUE that IF you are hunting an iron trash infested site .. AND .. if both the Tej

you use a smaller than stock coil, and you set the Disc. Level just at the point where you reject a surface/shallow iron nail typical for that site, and at that site. Ground conditions can have an effect so use a nail to set the rejection.(find one or two or three first and then you know they are there and have a sample to set the disc. with.)

regardless of make or model, you also do NOT want to sweep too quickly, and you DO want to overlap, be patient, and recover good and iffy hits.

Monte

I've got this problem
I've got several old home sites where the ground is full of old rusted nails. These nails have been in the ground for at least 50+ years. Setting my Tejon to just reject a 3" rusted nail on the ground seems to reject many coins that are in close proximity of the nails. Point to mention, I was just playing around in my yard the other day. I had my Tejon's discrimination set to the middle of foil. I was hearing a lot of ticks, sputtering in an area where I had buried several coins last year. Now some of the coins (all of which are less than 3" deep) had not been giving a good signal response for several months. Just by chance I turned my discrimination down to iron and to my surprise many solid loud targets could be heard. I started digging some of these loud target that were close to where I had buried coins last year and found them to be rusted nails about 3" long. Badly rusted, swelled up nails.
Now here's my question. If you were going to hunt an area that you knew had many nails in the ground for a long time how would you approach the hunt?
If you were using a Tejon how would you approach the site?

Now one more question:
I'm going on a cache hunt for a jar of wheat pennies and possible silver. The coins were buried in the 50's by two young boys. They both agree they never dug the money up when they moved. The area is now in the middle of a patch of pine trees that were planted in the 60's What would your approach be using the Tejon?

Monte said:
[quote markg] True or false*** So the Vaquero would do better at hunting iron infested sites than the Tejon. Because it doesn't accept as low as the Tejon. And it wouldn't be as affected by masking!
It is TRUE that IF you are hunting an iron trash infested site .. AND .. if both the Tej