Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mixed Mode Demonstration on a Deep Target

A lot of people I know do not use Mixed Mode. Sometimes I don't use it, but if I am after deep coins and relics, it is a must. Here is a video of a really good example of Mixed Mode in action.

Happy Hunting!

Neil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX-rjMLnXHY

Nice video. I played around with it a couple times but there was a lot of trash and didnt have the time to dig all the signals. Were you runnig single frequency ar all 3?

rustydigger said:
Nice video. I played around with it a couple times but there was a lot of trash and didnt have the time to dig all the signals. Were you runnig single frequency ar all 3?

Excellent point that I forgot to mention. I was in 7.5 KHz. Video has been updated. Thanks for the heads up!

As I mentioned, I don't use it in the trashy areas.

Neil I am going to have to try the Mixed Mode out on the GC to see what more I can find I see you have the D2 coil back on dose it work better than the sef in the mixed mode nice find on that old button..:twodetecting::whites::cheers:

TIM CLARK said:
Neil I am going to have to try the Mixed Mode out on the GC to see what more I can find I see you have the D2 coil back on dose it work better than the sef in the mixed mode nice find on that old button..:twodetecting::whites::cheers:

Tim,

I have been using the D2 coil lately because I can swing it a bit better in the thick underbrush that is beginning to fill in this time of year. If you look at some of my older videos you will see me using the SEF coil in mixed mode.

I filmed a lot of button finds today, with a total of 7 or 8, but I wanted this video to show a deep target that was questionable at best. No doubt I would have missed this one in the C&J setting, even with the gains raised.

Neil are you running in the Hi-Pro program

If I didn't miss the point.. Your saying the Mixed Mode was the only program that would hit that button , at that depth ??

Great video Neil. This is a lot helpfull to us cause my self I am a newbie and I was wondering how could I use the mixed mode. Thanks a lot.

Elton said:
If I didn't miss the point.. Your saying the Mixed Mode was the only program that would hit that button , at that depth ??

Basically the answer is yes. If you were directly centered over the button in Discriminate only mode, you would possibly have heard a chirp. As you can see on the video the chirp was not audible on every sweep, so there would be a good chance of sweeping the coil right over it an not hearing a thing.

Mixed mode gave an obvious indication that there was something worth investigating further. You will also notice in the video that sweeps that were not directly centered over the target still hummed nicely in Mixed Mode.

Nice work. You really are helping many V users with your videos. I recently started using stereo mixed mode and immediately it paid off with good targets I might have passed over. A deep large cent & musket ball. I prefer to use it in areas I can dig freely like you did with your relic shovel. Since much of my detecting is in farm fields this mode is proving the capabilities of the V. MM works better on the V than on the XLT/DFX, probably because the option of running it in stereo makes it easier to hear each channel.
HH!

Ytcoinshooter said:
Nice work. You really are helping many V users with your videos. I recently started using stereo mixed mode and immediately it paid off with good targets I might have passed over. A deep large cent & musket ball. I prefer to use it in areas I can dig freely like you did with your relic shovel. Since much of my detecting is in farm fields this mode is proving the capabilities of the V. MM works better on the V than on the XLT/DFX, probably because the option of running it in stereo makes it easier to hear each channel.
HH!

Thanks for the Kudos. I am not a big fan of Stereo MM, but it is just a matter of personal preference.

I totally dig the Mixed Mode. Pun intended :rolleyes: Even though I am a novice, this program gives me all the information as to what's in the ground. Almost like X-ray vision. People always say there is a big learning curve with the V3i, but honestly I think the Mixed Mode is the most turn'n'go program on the machine. I've only made small modifications and I now have this thing pumping on all cylinders! So far I've found a gold/diamond women's ring, a stainless steel gothic men's ring, various other junk jewelry, and a ton of clad. All of that in about 300 sq ft of a majorly hunted out park. I think some other guys must've canvased the entire park just looking for junk silver coins because that's the only thing I haven't found yet... Fortunately, as per advice gleaned from forums like this, I've planted a test garden in my yard and discovered the Mixed Mode is very effective on silver coins @ 9" in severely trashy soil (all of my yard soil was hauled in from a rail station yard). Iron galore! Oh well, I think I just need to get off the beaten track a bit...

I used the mixed mode pro this afternoon on a old house that had so much trash (nails mostly and small iron) in the front yard that I have only found one buffalo nickle and a few wheats out of 4 or 5 trips. The first signal I dug was a 1942 D wheat, the next signal was 3 feet away was 4 oklahoma 1 mill tax tokens stacked together, next signal was a 1894 Indian Head penny and a 1913 wheat in the same hole and right before I left I got a 1920 wheat penny. This was out of a section that was probably 12 feet x 30 feet, I didn't grid it off, I was just wandering around.

Now don't get me wrong, I dug quite a few false signals during this time, but, it still impressed me.

A couple of questions, how do you deal with pinpointing? I finally got to where I was doing the X pattern to try and get it close. Also how do you think a smaller coil would perform? Something like the 6x8 SEF? I was using the 6x10 whites this afternoon.

cadman_us said:
A couple of questions, how do you deal with pinpointing? I finally got to where I was doing the X pattern to try and get it close. Also how do you think a smaller coil would perform? Something like the 6x8 SEF? I was using the 6x10 whites this afternoon.

First of all, make sure you have VCO on. It helps quite a bit. On shallow targets it may help to lift the coil a few inches.

I don't think a 6x8 coil is much different than the 6x10. Maybe a 4x6 or the 5.3 would be my choice.

Neil in West Jersey said:
cadman_us said:

First of all, make sure you have VCO on. It helps quite a bit. On shallow targets it may help to lift the coil a few inches.

I don't think a 6x8 coil is much different than the 6x10. Maybe a 4x6 or the 5.3 would be my choice.

Do you think the 5.3 being concentric will make a difference compared to the 4x6DD?

cadman_us said:
Neil in West Jersey said:
cadman_us said:

Do you think the 5.3 being concentric will make a difference compared to the 4x6DD?

Depends on the application & the soil. If you are looking to get between heavy trash and playground equipment, the 4x6 is a better choice, but I like the 5.3 for tight spots around underbrush and trees. 4x6 is better in mineralized ground.